Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

That’s fine, you don’t have to be satisfied with super regional appearances, I imagine the staff isn’t either. But the question that was asked was will Danny White “put up“ with it? The answer to that, regardless of how some people may feel, is yes. There is not an Athletic Director in the country that is going to fire a coach that consistently makes it to supers. That may be an inconvenient truth, but it’s still the truth.
So give up with that and don’t improve? I would be disappointed in White if he shares your expectations.

How much longer does the board think that Karen Weekly will likely coach and is the new hitting instructor her likely successor?

I would call any pitcher that pitches to contact a junk pitcher.

I like the quote from Sandy Koufax.
“I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it.”

What he meant he was concentrating on trying to hit the corners and ended up throwing a lot of pitches that were balls which ran up his pitch count or got him behind the hitters in the count. He changed his approach and just tried to throw over the plate more and challenged them to hit his stuff.
Yes, I know that is not exactly the same as pitching to contact but it is a great quote.

Last edited:
How much longer does the board think that Karen Weekly will likely coach and is the new hitting instructor her likely successor?
She has a 3 year contract (contracts are pointless). At this time I anticipate her only going the 3 unless she wins it all. She could walk away at any point for “personal reasons” in the press if Ralph’s health goes down. Malveaux has a 3 year as well but, I would hope he entertains job openings as he had to go backwards and work up.

Reactions: Volfan1000
That’s fine, you don’t have to be satisfied with super regional appearances, I imagine the staff isn’t either. But the question that was asked was will Danny White “put up“ with it? The answer to that, regardless of how some people may feel, is yes. There is not an Athletic Director in the country that is going to fire a coach that consistently makes it to supers. That may be an inconvenient truth, but it’s still the truth.
That's minimal expectations....time to take it to the next level........had the greatest pitcher in the world, got to the big game and that's it..

I personally couldn't care less about average. Runs/game is the only thing that matters as far as offensive numbers. You can string 3 infield hits together and not score a run or you can park one over the fence with 2 strike outs and score.
How does our runs/game compare to last year?

Dropped all the way to 12 in the final RPI release before tonight. Way steeper drop than I imagined. Would match us up with Bama in the Supers which makes me think it’s entirely possible we end up there. Still predicting 9 🤞🏼

We scored one run in twenty innings.....
Not sure that’s as relevant as you think. Look it wasn’t great. But we went into the conference tourney basically 7 or 8. We won a game and lost one to a team that just beat Alabama. Sure we didn’t score runs but if going 1-1 in the SEC tournament drops you 4 or 5 spots then it’s probably time to reevaluate seedings

Reactions: chuckiepoo
D1 Softball’s final projection (I think) had us at 10 with Ohio state and Oregon State as our 2 and 3 seed in the regional. Good grief. If that’s anywhere close to accurate, it could be a long weekend

I like the quote from Sandy Koufax.
“I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it.”

What he meant he was concentrating on trying to hit the corners and ended up throwing a lot of pitches that were balls which ran up his pitch count or got him behind the hitters in the count. He changed his approach and just tried to throw over the plate more and challenged them to hit his stuff.
Yes, I know that is not exactly the same as pitching to contact but it is a great quote.
It is also very true and smart.

Not sure that’s as relevant as you think. Look it wasn’t great. But we went into the conference tourney basically 7 or 8. We won a game and lost one to a team that just beat Alabama. Sure we didn’t score runs but if going 1-1 in the SEC tournament drops you 4 or 5 spots then it’s probably time to reevaluate seedings
That is a very narrow approach. Look a broader approach an see how many more games we could/should have won with a couple of hits with runners in scoring position with less tha two outs. You don’t win many games if you don’t score regardless of how well the pitching was.

Last edited:
I will repeat....1 run in 20 innings...

It doesn’t help that bama has a cakewalk of a regional. The only real threat is Stanford and I don’t think they’d be even close to pulling off an upset. Hopefully I’m wrong

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If I was Karen I’d have white pitch more innings in the regional. Especially once we have a sizeable lead. If we make it to supers we are going to need everything she’s got to have a chance at OKC

Never great to face Fouts, but if Kilfoyl is still injured, their pitching isn’t that good behind her. Their bats are also good but IMO not as nerve wracking as facing someone like ASU in the desert. All assuming we do make it out of our regional. This year it won’t be easy to do, but seems to be less difficult than last year!

VN Store

Back