Tennessee Lady Vol News

So Pat is on the June S.I. Cover!
Focus is “The Pursuit of Equal Pay”. I’m sure this will chap the erstwhile women’s basketball “fan” AMB to no end.😂😂😂😂😂
Thought you weren't having the last word?

Sorry, too busy enjoying watching the women play at the French Open. You know...women who have earned their equal salaries because they actually have fans.

I see attendance for WNBA games has still been shockingly low. Have they cracked 7k yet? Too bad women refuse to support them, but I hope those ladies enjoy watching the NBA playoffs 🤷‍♂️...

Carry on with blaming men. I pity your poor husband...

Thought you weren't having the last word?

Sorry, too busy enjoying watching the women play at the French Open. You know...women who have earned their equal salaries because they actually have fans.

I see attendance for WNBA games has still been shockingly low. Have they cracked 7k yet? Too bad women refuse to support them, but I hope those ladies enjoy watching the NBA playoffs 🤷‍♂️...

Carry on with blaming men. I pity your poor husband...
You are so easy!! 😂😂😂
FYI, I have a wonderful marriage. Wonder if your wife would say the same thing if she knew your favorite female basketball players were the ones without clothes?
I did not think mentioning Pat being on the new SI cover and the obvious irony of that would be a continuation of the prior conversation but I can see how you could take it as such. My bad

I have a question for some of you insiders or those who were more involved or in the know in the 90s…why was Tiffani Johnson dismissed from the team?

Last edited:
She was never the same player when she came back from her knee injury.....She was injured, but gutted it out...Hell of a gal!
tennessee-lady-vols-guard-rae-burrell-goes-down-with-an-injury-during-picture-id1236489669

Makes you wonder if she should have just sat the year out.

Possible she had a different injury or worsened the original recently. She really seemed to be improving until just the other day. Thinking she did something more/different.

Prayers for a quick and full recovery. I was so looking forward to watching her and Rennia but the league had other ideas.

Anytime a player has an injury that is serious enough to result in months of lost playing time, then that player is likely to be a little more vulnerable to re-injury, or at least some occasional discomfort, for at least a year or more.

Also, not to suggest Rae did this, but competitors DO sometimes tell doctors that there's no pain in order to get cleared when there is. X-rays and exams can't always tell the whole story.

All that said, in hindsight it probably would have been wise for her to sit out a year. But then, having to sit out a season sure came back to bite Rennia in the butt. Hers was a different story, of course, but I can definitely see how a player like Burrell would want to get her pro career going right away.

Possible she had a different injury or worsened the original recently. She really seemed to be improving until just the other day. Thinking she did something more/different.

Prayers for a quick and full recovery. I was so looking forward to watching her and Rennia but the league had other ideas.
There is something wrong with the WNBA if Rennia isn’t on a team. Given the relatively quick time period for Rae, 6-8 weeks, it seems like maybe clean up work?? Rae was out more than 6 weeks last year wasn’t she? So if that quick a fix I would have thought she would have had surgery then?

How do you know the injury was not treated correctly?

Because her injury required surgery and college Doctor cleared her to play. Same as when Evina left TN and got surgery as soon as she got to Uconn make me think may be the Doctor didn't make good decision on their injury.

Or maybe it wasn’t the doctor’s decision. I think she came back to insure she was drafted. That may have been iffy if she had an operation. I would say the doctor laid out the facts and let her and her family decide which way to go.

We will likely never know. But as a former highly competitive college athlete who was, at one time, asked to be honest about pain levels and flat-out lied in order to be cleared, I know how it can be.

It was a mistake for me to do that. But I only fully realized how stupid that was when I was quite a bit older, late bloomer that I was. Even at the time it did eat at me that I, a normally honest person, was being dishonest, but I actually thought that my TEAM needed me to buck up and tough it out.

Kids. 😫

All this to say that team doctors HAVE to be able to count on honesty from their patients in order to make the right decision, and if a certain patient is in her or his senior season and doesn't want to watch the end of it from the bench as a spectator, then maybe the truth about how they feel becomes fuzzy.

It is what it is, but I just don't think it's fair to assume university doctors are being negligent or incompetent in all situations regarding players who, later, are revealed to have likely still been in pain while in college and were released.

Of COURSE it is possible there was a mishandling of Rae's (and Evina's) case(s). But something tells me, based solely on the pride and competitive spirit that both women possess, that UT staff made the best decisions based on all the information they had at the time, and on the assumption the kids were giving accurate self-assessments.

Don't WNBA teams do physicals on the players they are about to draft in the first round? There would have to be multiple negligent doctors for this to be a UT problem. If the knee hadn't been structurally sound, she would not have been drafted as high as she was. Come on people.

Saw this somewhere else and I thought you guys would find it interesting...

UT Athletic Director Danny White received a 2% bonus on his $1,890,000 salary for Kelly Harper’s team making the Sweet 16. That's $37,800.

FYI, White also gets a 3% bonus for any team that wins a national title.
Rumor has it that he was seen hollering his head off when Puckett made that game winning shot to get into the Sweet 16 (okay I started the rumor but it wouldn't surprise me :D.

VN Store

Back