Tennessee Lady Vol News

View attachment 414266Really high ranking long way to go.
Can't remember the last time they were in the top 10! Really strong start to the season, especially with Rae's injury and a lot of new pieces. They should be top 8 by the time they face Stanford.

Not sure why UConn is still #2 after getting blown out by SC. It should be MD...right before the Terps lose their next 2 games to NCState and Stanford. It's a shame that they have to play those two games so shorthanded (No Benzan, Miller or Masonius). If they manage to win even one of those games, that would be a huge accomplishment.

Kellie watches statistics. Btw, our best + player against Texas was Sara with a +14.

You’re right though, computers can malfunction, and they can only spit out what numbers a program put into them. They can show trends, and give odds, but their predictions are not always correct.

Massey‘s ratings had us losing to Texas by 7, obviously that didn’t come true, and as some have said, there needs to be more input for the system to be more accurate.

Mainly though, people determine results, not computers, and that can change with each game.

Computers can measure the past, and give odds on the future, but for each game, no computer prediction can predict the amount of “will to win/refuse to lose” mindset of the players.

So far, our players are in Great mindset!

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Not sure that I understand the hand wringing over a statistical program that gives game predictions. It's not like the program is sentient and decides to penalize Tennessee because it doesn't like the LVs. If the thing was 100% accurate, then there would be a lot of people who got filthy rich from sports gambling.

Kellie watches statistics. Btw, our best + player against Texas was Sara with a +14.

You’re right though, computers can malfunction, and they can only spit out what numbers a program put into them. They can show trends, and give odds, but their predictions are not always correct.

Massey‘s ratings had us losing to Texas by 7, obviously that didn’t come true, and as some have said, there needs to be more input for the system to be more accurate.

Mainly though, people determine results, not computers, and that can change with each game.

Computers can measure the past, and give odds on the future, but for each game, no computer prediction can predict the amount of “will to win/refuse to lose” mindset of the players.

So far, our players are in Great mindset!

GO LADY VOLS!!!
Very well said! I just get frustrated with his (Massey's) rankings because some places take those and use them to kind of decide which team should be ranked what or in Charlie Creme's case, who he feels should be on what line in his Tournament "brackets"

Very well said! I just get frustrated with his (Massey's) rankings because some places take those and use them to kind of decide which team should be ranked what or in Charlie Creme's case, who he feels should be on what line in his Tournament "brackets"

Cremepuff is a hack idk why ESPN is so sold on him and Voepel. I find both of them so out of touch for where the game really is. Bracketology crap in November is a joke anyway. They didn’t used to do that, seems dumb and like you mentioned, all he’s doing is repopulation Massey’s ratings into his stuff.

It’s basically palagarism. I don’t think he even watches many games outside of the top 5. His analysis is always spotty and he hardly knows any players who aren’t from UCONN or Baylor.

We have a lot of targets on our back now with this top 10 ranking

We earned this target though! Love to see us starting lower and moving up the rankings instead of the other way around.

5-7 years ago when we started the season #5 or #7 or something then fell out of the top 25 broke my heart. We had a target on our back we couldn’t stand behind that time.

This team is ready for the challenge and is earning their attention/ranking.

Last edited:
Not sure that I understand the hand wringing over a statistical program that gives game predictions. It's not like the program is sentient and decides to penalize Tennessee because it doesn't like the LVs. If the thing was 100% accurate, then there would be a lot of people who got filthy rich from sports gambling.
Agreed, Massey's algorithms are useful as the season goes on but obviously it can't take context and circumstances into consideration when determining rankings. Should just be seen as another set of stats to observe.

We earned this target though! Love to see us starting lower and moving up the rankings instead of the other way around.

5-7 years ago when we started the season #5 or #7 or something then fell out of the top 25 broke my heart. We had a target on our back we couldn’t stand behind that time.

This team is ready for the challenge and is earning their attention/ranking.

Actually, I like the higher ranking, not just for the obvious reasons. Last year, I saw several teams that had a lesser schedule and less good wins than we did, some we had beaten, start high in the rankings and never fell far when they lost. It looked like to me that it was harder to climb in the rankings, than to fall, but they may be doing things differently this year.

As long as we keep playing strong Defense, we can play with/beat anybody, and our Offense should improve.

GLV!

Actually, I like the higher ranking, not just for the obvious reasons. Last year, I saw several teams that had a lesser schedule and less good wins than we did, some we had beaten, start high in the rankings and never fell far when they lost. It looked like to me that it was harder to climb in the rankings, than to fall, but they may be doing things differently this year.

As long as we keep playing strong Defense, we can play with/beat anybody, and our Offense should improve.

GLV!

Yes I’m saying I’m happy about the higher ranking.

Particularly because we’ve earned it so far. A few seasons ago we were starting Top 10 in the poll with a big target on our back that we couldn’t defend. Was really damaging to the players confidence to start ranked like that and then drop steadily all season.

Just so pleased so see us trending the other direction now. And doing so while overcoming adversity.

Yes I’m saying I’m happy about the higher ranking.

Particularly because we’ve earned it so far. A few seasons ago we were starting Top 10 in the poll with a big target on our back that we couldn’t defend. Was really damaging to the players confidence to start ranked like that and then drop steadily all season.

Just so pleased so see us trending the other direction now. And doing so while overcoming adversity.

Oh……well then, me, too. Sort of read it wrong. 😀

Reactions: VolBall09
2021-22 Women's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics

Looking at our four game stats tells you that defense really does win games. Every offensive stat is horrid thus far and I expect this will be where we show the most improvement over the next several games.

Don't fortget rebounding in there. We are way ahead of our competition there. So, it's defense and rebounding that is winning for us. I like your take - no where to go but up on offense.

I think our scoring and offense will improve now that the team has learned that they can win with defense and aggressive rebounding. Knowing that, I think the players have to be a lot more relaxed about their shots knowing if they don't score then somebody else will rebound it and put it in or restart the offense looking for another quality shot.

There are moments in this video where her voice gives me chills. If I close my eyes it’s Pat. The hoarseness from having yelled all night on Sunday, the sincerity and passion. The way she has an answer to everything. I try not to compare her to Pat, but the actual sound of her voice is like hearing an old friend.

There are moments in this video where her voice gives me chills. If I close my eyes it’s Pat. The hoarseness from having yelled all night on Sunday, the sincerity and passion. The way she has an answer to everything. I try not to compare her to Pat, but the actual sound of her voice is like hearing an old friend.

She reminds me pat a lot that's why I pray God help her make it high in TN..She's just a sweet person and I hope recruits have seen that

She reminds me pat a lot that's why I pray God help her make it high in TN..She's just a sweet person and I hope recruits have seen that

she played and was taught by the Pat of that era..It is that era's influence she possesses.
I am 100 behind Coach K
She was my choice even before she became an option.

VN Store

Back