Tennessee Lady Vol News

2021-22 Women's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics

Looking at our four-game stats tells you that defense really does win games. Every offensive stat is horrid thus far and I expect this will be where we show the most improvement over the next several games.
Your right offense is where we should show the most improvement over the next several games. Considering we had put up 59 in regulation against Texas, the offense has already shown it has taken a big step forward already. Texas' defense is no joke.

The next two games will be a lot tougher than most would expect. Kansas has played a weak schedule, but are 4 and 0 going into the game. They have a 6'6" center that starts and some very effective guards. Again a very experienced team where most of the players will be Fifth year players, Seniors and Juniors. Massey is making us a 4 point favorite. Oklahoma State is also undefeated with a four point win over Missouri State. For some reason Massey is making them a 4 point favorite over Tennessee although he ranks us higher.

The next two games will be a lot tougher than most would expect. Kansas has played a weak schedule, but are 4 and 0 going into the game. They have a 6'6" center that starts and some very effective guards. Again a very experienced team where most of the players will be Fifth year players, Seniors and Juniors. Massey is making us a 4 point favorite. Oklahoma State is also undefeated with a four point win over Missouri State. For some reason Massey is making them a 4 point favorite over Tennessee although he ranks us higher.
Oklahoma State lost Natasha Mack their center to the WNBA and a really good guard who transferred to Baylor I don’t know how they made up for those personnel losses

This is the point we nervous fans start worrying about trap games. I cannot remember the last time the Lady Vols didn't lose at least one game they absolutely should have won. Massey's take is concerning. :oops:

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
it's clear Massey never likes Tennessee

Still Kansas and Ok State are trap games like when we beat South Carolina and lost by 2 to UGA the next game

It could well be but I think the team is still defining itself and will continue to improve and prove to themselves they can contend. I doubt they will be taking time off but they are young ladies and I profess I am not an expert on how they think. These are road games and the team will want to play well for Rae in her home town.

Still Kansas and Ok State are trap games like when we beat South Carolina and lost by 2 to UGA the next game
I would be shocked if they lose either of those games. They would have to play pretty poorly. I think VT on the road is the more likely trap game that they have to make a point not to overlook before playing Stanford.

They've definitely accepted the challenge of playing without Rae. Tamari and The Jordans in particular have really stepped up their games these last two pivotal games. Jordan H. in particular looks almost unrecognizable compared to her first two years in the program. I don't know if it's health or confidence-related, but I like what I'm seeing!

I would be shocked if they lose either of those games. They would have to play pretty poorly. I think VT on the road is the more likely trap game that they have to make a point not to overlook before playing Stanford.

They've definitely accepted the challenge of playing without Rae. Tamari and The Jordans in particular have really stepped up their games these last two pivotal games. Jordan H. in particular looks almost unrecognizable compared to her first two years in the program. I don't know if it's health or confidence-related, but I like what I'm seeing!
Virginia Tech is ranked too low yes they have been playing cupcakes but their 3 pt shooting is Elite think #1 in the nation right now and their front court of Elizabeth Kitley who has just been flat out dominate really makes them a formidable opponent

it's clear Massey never likes Tennessee
Massey uses a computer algorithm to make his predictions. No personal biases enter into it. If you check his faqs, you will see that the early season rankings and predictions are primarily based on last seasons results. It takes several games into the season for the algorithm to catch up to the current reality.

Jim

Takes about 8-10 games for the Massey ratings to catch up.

I believe we will handle Kansas pretty easily, they haven’t played anyone yet and will be shocked by the intensity of our defense. I’m feeling confident this team is going to bring that energy every night. In years past we never knew which team was going to show up. Starting to get a feel for Kellie teams and feeling assured they’re coming ready to play pretty much every game. Even with 6’6” center we have more size than them at every other position.

Them having a 6’6” is likely good for us as well because it means Tamari is less likely to pick up fouls. She does much better against bigger players and is allowed to be more physical/effective.

Oklahoma State is a good defensive team but I think we will beat them by double digits as well. They lost Asberry to transfer and Mack to the W. They didn’t fill either of those holes with a talented player. They have a couple starters that are about the same level as Tess. Quality shooters but need too much time to get their shot off. Also much smaller. They max at 6’3” for main players. Have a 6’5” cc transfer post who plays about 15 minutes. Their shooting guard, Keys, is going to have to guard someone about 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. We will have some mismatches.

I’m more concerned with Va Tech as you mentioned. Also bummed Rae (likely) won’t get to play for her homecoming. I’m assuming we signed up for the T-giving shootout to take her home to Vegas.

Last edited:
Massey uses a computer algorithm to make his predictions. No personal biases enter into it. If you check his faqs, you will see that the early season rankings and predictions are primarily based on last seasons results. It takes several games into the season for the algorithm to catch up to the current reality.

Jim
So what you're telling me is computers can't malfunction? I rather go by what is seen on the court and not what statistics are being put into a system to generate results.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Kellie watches statistics. Btw, our best + player against Texas was Sara with a +14.

You’re right though, computers can malfunction, and they can only spit out what numbers a program put into them. They can show trends, and give odds, but their predictions are not always correct.

Massey‘s ratings had us losing to Texas by 7, obviously that didn’t come true, and as some have said, there needs to be more input for the system to be more accurate.

Mainly though, people determine results, not computers, and that can change with each game.

Computers can measure the past, and give odds on the future, but for each game, no computer prediction can predict the amount of “will to win/refuse to lose” mindset of the players.

So far, our players are in Great mindset!

GO LADY VOLS!!!

VN Store

Back