Tennessee Lady Vol News

When Kellie said Sara was the most prepared freshman I believed every word of it. I've never seen any player with a better work ethic than Sara or a higher basketball IQ. She will be one of the most physically prepared players regardless of class really high on her to have an excellent freshman season. Very unselfish player finds the open player doesn't take bad shots.

Sara came in college ready,,and she has not slowed down

Kelly should have all the weapons she needs this season to play any style or scheme she wants. Looking forward to seeing how creative she can be. Like a mad scientist pushing buttons and turning knobs, ha.
I agree we have to be better will be her best team since coming here by far. Way better bench and more player that can contribute at a high level.

I really hope this is the year that we have a postseason break-through.

Last season, we got up for all the big (regular season games) and even won a few, which, earned us a top 4 seed in the SEC tourney, and a top 3 seed in the NCAAs. Those were good improvements from previous seasons. However, we lost pretty badly in both tournaments (SC and Michigan). You pretty much knew those games were over well into the first half.

Hoping this team can be playing their best basketball come March.

I really hope this is the year that we have a postseason break-through.

Last season, we got up for all the big (regular season games) and even won a few, which, earned us a top 4 seed in the SEC tourney, and a top 3 seed in the NCAAs. Those were good improvements from previous seasons. However, we lost pretty badly in both tournaments (SC and Michigan). You pretty much knew those games were over well into the first half.

Hoping this team can be playing their best basketball come March.
didnt help that Rennia Davis our go to player fractured her foot during the Ole Miss SEC Tourney game and just wasnt the same after

I feel like teams get their mental toughness from their coaching staff. Holly would get rattled and her teams did as well. They underperformed when the pressure was on. Hopefully as Kellie puts her imprint on this program we will become mentally tougher. The biggest similarity I see between Pat and Kellie is mental toughness/stubbornness. They have that small town Tennessee girl jaw set.

didnt help that Rennia Davis our go to player fractured her foot during the Ole Miss SEC Tourney game and just wasnt the same after

Seems like there’s always injury excuses, so we’re playing injured players who can’t shoot? I don’t think so, because the ones we’re being told were playing through their injuries were playing entire games.

Early in the season, RD made 4 of 19 shots in the West Virginia game, including missing 5 3 pointers, and missing both her 2 free throws as well. Everyone wrote it off as just a bad game, fine. She had the same kind of game in the NCAA Tournament against Michigan, making 4 of 17 shots. JH made 4 of 12 shots, while Rae made 4 of only 8 shots in the entire Michigan game.

Were they all just too worn out come tournament time? I’m betting strength and conditioning will be highly addressed by Kellie this year, and even though we needed RD for many wins last year, and she came through, I hope we have enough players playing well, so that no “go to” player has to be on the floor even when they’re playing poorly, or with injuries.

I hope and believe this year we have the players to keep only the ones playing well, on the floor. Hopefully we’ll have a whole team of go to players.

GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka

It definitely didn’t help. I’m looking at the overall team performance though. In looking back at that Michigan game, I can’t think of a single player that played well. Even without RD at 100%, I still think we should’ve given Michigan a more competitive game.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Here's a 2020-2021 stat for yall. Points Per Possession (PPP) Is my favorite offensive stat. IMO the goal is 1. To get PPP over 1 you would need 0 turnovers and shoot better than 50% on your 2 pointers and better than 33% on your 3 pointers. Realistically .8 PPP is going to give you a good chance to win but the goal remains 1 or better.

Last year when we were better than .8 PPP we were 15-0 including wins over SC, Bama, Ole Miss, UK, and LSU. We only had 4 games of 1 PPP or better and they were all blowouts. Our best offensive game was probably against ARK: PPP was 1.1 supported by 61% 2pt shooting, 30% 3pt shooting, and only 11 TOs. Rae and Ren were in a word, spectacular.

At .8 PPP and below we were 2-8. The wins were ETSU and Indiana. Our worst game offensively was 2-21-2021 vs UGA. Our PPP was a season worst .57 supported by 32% 2pt shooting, 15% 3pt shooting, and 20 TOs.

Oddly enough, Tess played her best game for us against MI in limited minutes. It might not have showed up in the stats, but it did on the floor.

Tess seems to be forgotten in all our excitement about the new players coming in this year, and we didn’t get to see Tess play much last year because of injury, but Tess is smart, can play defense, and can shoot. If she stays healthy, she may play a lot of minutes this year and in the future. Go Tess!

Tess seems to be forgotten in all our excitement about the new players coming in this year, and we didn’t get to see Tess play much last year because of injury, but Tess is smart, can play defense, and can shoot. If she stays healthy, she may play a lot of minutes this year and in the future. Go Tess!

Would be really nice to see breakout shooting seasons for Tess and Jessie.

Even without RD at 100%, I still think we should’ve given Michigan a more competitive game.

200.gif

I feel like teams get their mental toughness from their coaching staff. Holly would get rattled and her teams did as well. They underperformed when the pressure was on. Hopefully as Kellie puts her imprint on this program we will become mentally tougher. The biggest similarity I see between Pat and Kellie is mental toughness/stubbornness. They have that small town Tennessee girl jaw set.

It is an age old adage and a very true ism..."Teams take on the personality of their coach"

Reactions: 37620VOL
Tamari looks 2 or more inches taller in this picture than Emily, who is listed at 6' 5". Is Tamari still growing?
I just think they aren't listing TK's actual height, the updated roster has her listed at 6'6" but I honestly think she is closer to 6'8" than 6'6"!

I know they often list a player an inch or two taller than they are but I've often question with the two of them standing side by side, it is no way they both were 6'5"! I think we will know the truth once she reaches the wnba, that is when they normally list their actually heights.

For example: Ariel Atkins while playing at Texas was listed at 5'11" all 4 years and now that she is in the WNBA she is currently being listed as 5'8"!

I also think it is about the height the players are comfortable being listed at for position purposes. I've seen where a player who is 6'4"/6'5" asked to be listed at 6'2" because they didn't want to have to play the 5 position.

VN Store

Back