Tennessee Lady Vol News

Which 2021 Freshman do you think will have the best season for the Lady Vols next year. I have watched quite a lot of video of all of them over the past year and it was a tough decision for me to choose between two players Sarah Puckett and Kaiya Wynn. I finally am going with Puckett because of her all around game. I think all three of Puckett, Wynn and Striplin will be big contributors and Miles a little less as a freshman, but I'm going with Puckett as the one that has the best season.

She very well could be the one. All three are fine players. That 4 spot looks healthy for the first time in a long time so Striplin could average double digits if she can consistently hit from the foul line. I see Puckett as a shooter, Wynn as a slasher and Striplin as a power forward who can shoot.

Which 2021 Freshman do you think will have the best season for the Lady Vols next year. I have watched quite a lot of video of all of them over the past year and it was a tough decision for me to choose between two players Sarah Puckett and Kaiya Wynn. I finally am going with Puckett because of her all around game. I think all three of Puckett, Wynn and Striplin will be big contributors and Miles a little less as a freshman, but I'm going with Puckett as the one that has the best season.

Striplin is a four, and we have lots of 4's with experience, so unless she is used as the primary backup to Key, she probably won't make much impact this season.
Miles - I agree with your opinion.
Puckett and Wynn - we need another shooter on the wing to complement Burrell. Whichever one of these two that can shoot and play defense on the wing will be the one that has the best freshman season, IMO.

Since we are casting opinions, which is always a good thing to do....

Striplin is extremely aggressive.....She is made to be a dominant force from the four spot....This girl is not going to sit on the bench, at least not for very long...In her videos she is a fun girl, but her electric personality is "jolting to her teammates" they respond positively to her presence...She can score on the blocks, or anywhere on the court....

Going to be one hell of a fine player.
image_handler.aspx

Striplin is a four, and we have lots of 4's with experience, so unless she is used as the primary backup to Key, she probably won't make much impact this season.

Keyen and Alexus are the two 4's that I know of. Keyen is coming off a knee injury and this is Alexus's first year. Is there someone other than Striplin that will play the 4 with those two? Not picking'....just wondering what you are seeing at the 4.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Rickster, I believe Marta is now also playing the 4 spot....

It is going to be a crowded front court, but Coach Kellie for the first time in her career here, will have lots of talent to choose from...

Fairly certain we will have a variety of different offensive sets to utilize the vast talent of all these fine players....

After about the fourth game, the superb talent wearing lady vol colors, will find their levels...

Striplin is extremely aggressive.....She is made to be a dominant force from the four spot....This girl is not going to sit on the bench, at least not for very long...In her videos she is a fun girl, but her electric personality is "jolting to her teammates" they respond positively to her presence...She can score on the blocks, or anywhere on the court....

image_handler.aspx

Yup, I think you are correct in all of those points. At 6-3 and with that power body, she could also see minutes at the five, especially if other backups for Key can't get it done. At the four, the question will be how soon she can wrest playing time away from the more experienced current occupants. Keyen and Alexus. She is stronger than both of them, I'm guessing, so she has that advantage going in.

Keyen and Alexus are the two 4's that I know of. Keyen is coming off a knee injury and this is Alexus's first year. Is there someone other than Striplin that will play the 4 with those two? Not picking'....just wondering what you are seeing at the 4.

Yes, I'm thinking of those as the two primarily in front of her on the depth chart. I've hardly seen either one play, but I am assuming their experience will rule at least until Striplin has a half season or more under her belt. The points you bring up about the incumbents are good ones, and who knows how they'll get on this season. I also think that if we find another deadeye shooter who can play defense on the wing (Marta, Wynn, Puckett, Darby) that might give Horston a look at the 4. I think she might be better there than on the wing. So it's a mix/match wardrobe early this season. It will be a lot of fun watching it play out.

I'll take that bet and raise you a Striplin for the "Wynn"

Remember, Karo was 2 steals and one block away from the nation's 3rd HS quintuple double

She averaged 26.8 ppg., 16.8 rpg., 6.2 bpg., 5.6 apg. and 4.2 spg. while shooting 59 percent from the field ... Recorded a double-double in all 25 games as a senior, including 10 triple-doubles and a quadruple-double. Set an Alabama H.S. single-season record with 44-consecutive free throws in 2020-21, tying for eighth nationally and also had another streak of 22 straight....and, remember Striplin was 1 block and two steals away from, only the third quintuple double in HS history. There are only two known quintuple-doubles, both at the girls' high-school level. The first was recorded by Tamika Catchings of Duncanville High School (Duncanville, Texas) with 25 points, 18 rebounds, 11 assists, 10 steals and 10 blocks in 1997.[118] The second was by Aimee Oertner of Northern Lehigh High School (Slatington, Pennsylvania), who had 26 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals, and 11 blocks on January 7, 2012

That said, Striplin is my pick to be the impact rookie, no matter who's in front of, beside or behind her.

Watching that video made my eyes water for some reason.

Love seeing the growth and maturation of our team through activities such as this. By giving selflessly, the young ladies are receiving great rewards and satisfaction through helping others. So proud of them!

I see all these players being shoved into the 4 position. But let's roaden our spectrum. Most of these players are highly versatile. Call them 4s or whatever you want but there's enough versatility to have 4 "4s" on the floor at once.

I like the term "point forward". Most of your elite players these days are point forwards. They are 6-1 to 6-4 usually, and they can defend the 1-4 positions, rebound, shoot, ball handle, and pass. They do not have to possess back-to-the-basket skills if paired with a talented 5 on the court --- but it is a good skill to have. You can have 3-4 point forwards on the court together if their skills mesh well.

I doubt we very seldom have more than one post player on the floor at one time next season. I expect Striplin will get her minutes as the backup five. Key is about a 25 minute a game player max so she will need a strong backup and that is where I think Kellie is planning on using Striplin. You like her down low because unlike Key she is almost automatic from the free throw line over 88 percent her senior season. She gets fouled unlike Key and Kashi that will be two points at least 80 percent of the time. Key her first two seasons has averaged 59.2 percent from the field and Striplin was 59 as a senior. If the two together could get off 300 shot attempts and 100 free throw attempts that would make the five position stronger than it has been in years. As a duo shooting 55 percent of 300 shot attempts would be 330 points and hopefully make 75 of 100 free throws since Key is about a 60 percent shooter there last season, would be 405 points from the five position and 1.35 point per shot attempt which is what you need minimum out of the five position. This is the kind of production we should expect and need because if the staff is truly developing players your going to see much better production as a junior out of Key. We have Saunders who is a good player in the half court but has not shown the ability to run the floor effectively doubt she has the speed to ever be able to do so. Striplin much faster running the floor. I think Striplin get most of the backup minutes at the five.

Green will probably play some back to the basket four, but I don't see Dye, Puckett, or Suarez doing much of that next season. All three of these players and especially Dye and Puckett are excellent perimeter shooters with Puckett being an exceptional passer. Dye is going to score some points she lit Texas A&M up in that NCAA tourney game. Puckett can make shots anywhere on the floor. Burrell, Wynn, hopefully a more developed game from Horston and Walker make the perimeter game a lot better than last season. I really like this team's potential we'll see if they can live up to my expectations.

We went got 1.13 points per shot last season we need to get that up to a 1.20 at least. We average 63 shot attempts last season needs to get that to 70 attempts. 72 points per game last season would be 84 if we could get the shots up to 70 and average a 1.20 Our biggest problem last season was losing the shot attempts especially in SEC play that has to change. Winning games depends more on winning the shot attempts per game and the free throw line than actual shot percentage most of the time. Winning three pointers made is another key factor. You get 70 attempts and shoot 43 percent you score about the same as an opponent getting 60 attempts and shooting 50 percent. Would come out to about 30 field goals per team so winning the free throw line and at least breaking even at the three wins that game even if you shoot seven percent less. Last season teams were beating us in shot attempts when we lost by as much as 10 to 15 shots attempted some games. We have to prevent that in any game we play this season and expect we will as were able to even out the turnovers more and same for offensive rebounds.

A lot of this depends on the development of the returning players. Will any of them make the strides that Burrell made from sophomore to junior. If this is a good staff then you will see a much better Key, Horston, Walker, and other returnees. Key and Horston have to be better than they have ever been if were to be a much better basketball team this coming season.

Wonder if Kellie will be able to get Rennie to shoot again. Seem she doesn't even want to now, like if I miss coach will take me out. Not sure what's going on with her.

I doubt we very seldom have more than one post player on the floor at one time next season. I expect Striplin will get her minutes as the backup five. Key is about a 25 minute a game player max so she will need a strong backup and that is where I think Kellie is planning on using Striplin. You like her down low because unlike Key she is almost automatic from the free throw line over 88 percent her senior season. She gets fouled unlike Key and Kashi that will be two points at least 80 percent of the time. Key her first two seasons has averaged 59.2 percent from the field and Striplin was 59 as a senior. If the two together could get off 300 shot attempts and 100 free throw attempts that would make the five position stronger than it has been in years. As a duo shooting 55 percent of 300 shot attempts would be 330 points and hopefully make 75 of 100 free throws since Key is about a 60 percent shooter there last season, would be 405 points from the five position and 1.35 point per shot attempt which is what you need minimum out of the five position. This is the kind of production we should expect and need because if the staff is truly developing players your going to see much better production as a junior out of Key. We have Saunders who is a good player in the half court but has not shown the ability to run the floor effectively doubt she has the speed to ever be able to do so. Striplin much faster running the floor. I think Striplin get most of the backup minutes at the five.

Green will probably play some back to the basket four, but I don't see Dye, Puckett, or Suarez doing much of that next season. All three of these players and especially Dye and Puckett are excellent perimeter shooters with Puckett being an exceptional passer. Dye is going to score some points she lit Texas A&M up in that NCAA tourney game. Puckett can make shots anywhere on the floor. Burrell, Wynn, hopefully a more developed game from Horston and Walker make the perimeter game a lot better than last season. I really like this team's potential we'll see if they can live up to my expectations.

We went got 1.13 points per shot last season we need to get that up to a 1.20 at least. We average 63 shot attempts last season needs to get that to 70 attempts. 72 points per game last season would be 84 if we could get the shots up to 70 and average a 1.20 Our biggest problem last season was losing the shot attempts especially in SEC play that has to change. Winning games depends more on winning the shot attempts per game and the free throw line than actual shot percentage most of the time. Winning three pointers made is another key factor. You get 70 attempts and shoot 43 percent you score about the same as an opponent getting 60 attempts and shooting 50 percent. Would come out to about 30 field goals per team so winning the free throw line and at least breaking even at the three wins that game even if you shoot seven percent less. Last season teams were beating us in shot attempts when we lost by as much as 10 to 15 shots attempted some games. We have to prevent that in any game we play this season and expect we will as were able to even out the turnovers more and same for offensive rebounds.

A lot of this depends on the development of the returning players. Will any of them make the strides that Burrell made from sophomore to junior. If this is a good staff then you will see a much better Key, Horston, Walker, and other returnees. Key and Horston have to be better than they have ever been if were to be a much better basketball team this coming season.

I like your post as always but let`s take a step back and remember Striplin is a fr. And will face some very Stiff resistance from very good 4-5 players in the SEC and the likes of UConn, Stamford who we will play. As for Saunders the jury is still out on her. Now if she has taken steps forward with her game i see her as the backup to Key. Just my opinion !

I like your post as always but let`s take a step back and remember Striplin is a fr. And will face some very Stiff resistance from very good 4-5 players in the SEC and the likes of UConn, Stamford who we will play. As for Saunders the jury is still out on her. Now if she has taken steps forward with her game i see her as the backup to Key. Just my opinion !
I know expecting Key to get close to 300 points this season and Striplin won't have to do much in relief. I like her as a much better shooter than Kashi and if you foul her in the act of shooting you just gave up two points.

VN Store

Back