Tennessee Lady Vol News

Yea i dnt think shes leaving either and after yesterday game she needs not to and not because shes not talented we all know she is but hone in on her craft without the pressure of the real world.....POINT GUARD needs to be addressed immediately this offseason..or someone with size that can create their own shot n for others

.someone without "size" just had a career day against us

I'm curious if JH actually hasn't made a decision or just hasn't announced it. The coaches need to know bc tomorrow morning they need to get on recruiting the portal. If JH hasn't made the decision, IMO that's a very bad decision. Of all players on Earth, Jordy least needs a major life decision hanging over her mentality approaching a big game. Not sure why Jordy couldn't do what Kea did, the common sense route of getting it out there early so it's not a distraction. LOL Jordy and decision making, a career long struggle.

Powell's decision is also very important IMO. We need another good PG who's taller, who's quick, and can shoot the dadgummit 3. If Jordy leaves we need 2 of them. But it's important to have Powell's knowledge of the team and the system to split time with the newbie. I thought Powell had a good tourney and showed what she can do. Sure hope she comes back
Totally agree about Powell. She really seemed to put it all together the last six weeks. Need her next year! She could absolutely be glue for us.

And wore it right there yesterday, yet again, in a big important game where we desperately needed her dialed in. The eternal Jordy puzzle. Knowing that history, not going ahead w the decision before the tourney like RJ did seems a big mistake.

I'm not convinced JH can ever get over the head hump here. The history is too locked in. If she does come back, I want her summer spent in close contact with the team sports physcologist. It's just too painful to watch the JH movie over and over and over.

Jordan was the team's top scorer, She had a few untimely TOs in the clutch, but she was not alone.

Jordan and Rickea could have done enough with their level of offensive production (and neither had their best offensive games) if they had gotten a little help.

Tess 0-5 from three point line and 4 pts across three post players, It is hard to find a path to victory with that kind of scoreline.

Props to Jordan Walker who got 12 on 5 for 7 shooting, Jackson, Horston, and Walker kept them in the game.

Jordan is at her best being robin to Rickea's Batman. She is more Pippin than Jordan, When she tries to take a game over, that tends to be where she makes errors like dribbling the ball off her foot, forced shots, and bad passes.

Jordan was the team's top scorer, She had a few untimely TOs in the clutch, but she was not alone.

Jordan and Rickea could have done enough with their level of offensive production (and neither had their best offensive games) if they had gotten a little help.

Tess 0-5 from three point line and 4 pts across three post players, It is hard to find a path to victory with that kind of scoreline.

Props to Jordan Walker who got 12 on 5 for 7 shooting, Jackson, Horston, and Walker kept them in the game.

Jordan is at her best being robin to Rickea's Batman. She is more Pippin than Jordan, When she tries to take a game over, that tends to be where she makes errors like dribbling the ball off her foot, forced shots, and bad passes.
I have to say I really don’t love the three point game. It can be so hot and cold. If you have kids that can only shoot the three playing significant minutes, I don’t care who they are, you are going to lose games that were winnable. I would like to see our three point shooters develop a mid-range arsenal so if their 3’s aren’t falling they can get some points some other way.

I have to say I really don’t love the three point game. It can be so hot and cold. If you have kids that can only shoot the three playing significant minutes, I don’t care who they are, you are going to lose games that were winnable. I would like to see our three point shooters develop a mid-range arsenal so if their 3’s aren’t falling they can get some points some other way.
the three is "a" weapon" not "the weapon"
and for a distance gunner, the midrange pullup and the up-fake/drive is essential.
Just ask vescovi

Reactions: Lucy
Looking at HHS, and this year's team had:
  • The best offensive rating since 2013-14
  • The best offensive rating in NCAA tournament play since 2010-11
  • The worst defensive rating under KJH, but still better than 2 out of the last 3 Warlick teams
  • The best defensive rating in NCAA tournament play since at least before 2009-10 (that's as far back as HHS goes)
  • The most points per game since 2017-18
  • The most points per game in SEC play since 2013-14
  • The most points per shot attempt since 2017-18
  • The best FG% since 2017-18
  • The best 2pt. FG% since 2010-11
  • The best 3pt. FG% since 2019-20 (we haven't really had a great 3pt. shooting team since 2013-14)
  • The best EFG% since 2013-14
  • The best FT% since 2016-17
  • The most assists per game in SEC play since at least before 2009-10
  • The fewest TOs per game since 2016-17
  • The lowest TO% since 2016-17
  • The best A/TO ratio since 2016-17
  • The lowest block rate and highest foul rate since 2018-19 (pre-Tamari Key :()
  • The highest opponent FG% and 2pt. FG% since 2018-19 (...also pre-Tamari)
So much trending in the right direction. Having Key back will make a huge difference defensively. Offensively, 3pt. shooting seems to be the biggest area for improvement. Hope that we get someone from the portal to help with that, plus internal development with Pissott, and I think Powell and Puckett can improve to shoot in the mid-30s %. Rickea also started to show some confidence from 3 down the stretch.

Although it's not listed, I've noted we take A LOT more charges now.

I’m excited for our roster next season. Truly think we have the players to have an extremely good team with or without Horston.

Main thing I would like to see different next season is from the coaching staff. We have to have a lineup sorted out before the season starts and we have to use people where and when they are effective. The paint by numbers subs killed us all season. Kellie and company have to sub more judiciously and more strategically. We are not talented enough to run 3 and 4 subs in and out at a time like USC.

Can all those players get minutes? Yes. But it needs to be done more situationally and based on exploiting matchups. Too many times this season we had players being exploited on the perimeter. Miles should get significantly more minutes. She should have played every minute Walker did in the VaTech game in my opinion. Love Walker and her heart but Miles was the only player who came in and locked Amoore down like she meant it.

She helped us get back in the game and then inexplicably came back out during crunch time. I know she’s not a scoring punch, but neither is Walker and you can’t tell me Walker’s defense is better. Kellie liked Walker’s rebounding but I don’t think it’s necessary. We don’t need our PG rebounding if Striplin is going to play that many minutes she needs to average 7+ boards and do her job.

That's where basketball is headed, unfortunately. The NBA has shown the way. You can take three steps, sometimes even four and five, you don't worry too much about defending anyone, and you shoot threes. I want to say almost 41% of NBA shots are three pointers now. You shoot at the three point line, or get to the rim. Nothing else. Nothing.

That was what the Alabama men's team looked this year - and they had success with it. And every sports writer and talking head out there fawned over it. Everyone loved it. Everyone loves it. They think it's so great. So. It's coming. The three point line is going to disfigure basketball for as long as it continues to exist.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
That's where basketball is headed, unfortunately. The NBA has shown the way. You can take three steps, sometimes even four and five, you don't worry too much about defending anyone, and you shoot threes. I want to say almost 41% of NBA shots are three pointers now. You shoot at the three point line, or get to the rim. Nothing else. Nothing.

That was what the Alabama men's team looked this year - and they had success with it. And every sports writer and talking head out there fawned over it. Everyone loved it. Everyone loves it. They think it's so great. So. It's coming. The three point line is going to disfigure basketball for as long as it continues to exist.
Nice lawn… 😉

Reactions: Voltopia and glv98
Nice lawn… 😉

Ha! Yes, indeed. I’ve turned into one of those “abolish the three point line” nutters, but I can’t help it. Statistically the current trend is logical, but that’s because of how the game is currently arranged. So I’ll water this grass and weed the beds for as long as i watch Tennessee basketball.

I am reminded of when Gregg Popovich said the following, which is when I knew in my heart I agreed and could never go back -

"I hate it, but I always have. I've hated the three for 20 years. That's why I make a joke all the time (and say) if we're going to make it a different game, let's have a four-point play. Because if everybody likes the three, they'll really like the four. People will jump out of their seats if you have a five-point play. It will be great. There's no basketball anymore, there's no beauty in it. It's pretty boring. But it is what it is and you need to work with it."

The last part is certainly true. But I will watch from my lawn. Orange punch to be served every Tennessee gameday. “Will the punch be adult?” But of course. Well, or at least until the turnover average comes down.

Look at the present roster at this time.

Key, Jackson, Hollingshead, Powell, Striplin, Puckett, Darby, Wynn, Miles, Pissott, Rennie. on Scholarship. E. Darby walkon. At this time four scholarships to give.

Questions?
Is Key using a medical Red Shirt and have two more years ?

Since we have COVID players taking the extra year …. Can’t we have more than 15 on scholarship?

Is Rennie really going to play another year ?

Is Eddy Darby going to be on scholarship?

Doesn’t Darby have two more years ?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Questions?

Since we have COVID players taking the extra year …. Can’t we have more than 15 on scholarship?

I don't think Key is going to use a medical redshirt think she is using her covid year and will be her last season. JMO.
I don't think Rennie will be back, but she is on scholarship now and is eligible if she wants to stay. If she does stay don't see her getting to play very much.
I think Edie may get one if we get down to nine. I can feel us taking three or four players from the portal and I am not completely sure as they come a couple other may decide to leave. I think she gets one if we don't have to use them all on players in the portal.
Tess has two more years and expect she will play both.
No 15 is now the limit again. That extra was only good for that one season.

Questions?

1. Key has 2 years of eligibility left if she wants to use her COVID 5th year.
2. Can't have more than 15 scholarships no matter how many are taking the extra year
3. I think Rennie is done
4. Who knows about Edie? Maybe if they don't fill the scholarship?
5. Tess Darby can use an extra COVID year if she wants to

Reactions: chuckiepoo and PRG
I don't think Key is going to use a medical redshirt think she is using her covid year and will be her last season. JMO.
I don't think Rennie will be back, but she is on scholarship now and is eligible if she wants to stay. If she does stay don't see her getting to play very much.
I think Edie may get one if we get down to nine. I can feel us taking three or four players from the portal and I am not completely sure as they come a couple other may decide to leave. I think she gets one if we don't have to use them all on players in the portal.
Tess has two more years and expect she will play both.
No 15 is now the limit again. That extra was only good for that one season.
Great answers. I do wish they would apply for a medical waiver for Tamari so that she would have that option to play two years if that waiver was approved. Doesn't mean she would play two more years, but having the option would be great.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Look at the present roster at this time.

Key, Jackson, Hollingshead, Powell, Striplin, Puckett, Darby, Wynn, Miles, Pissott, Rennie. on Scholarship. E. Darby walkon. At this time four scholarships to give.
Doesn’t seem any top level high school ladies want to sign on. That’s an issue.

Doesn’t seem any top level high school ladies want to sign on. That’s an issue.
We keep watching top high school players all over the country transfer out from their original school because everyone is bringing in high-performing college athletes from the transfer portal. It seems like players freshman years are turning into more of a look-and-see. Out of the top 30 players in last year's hoopgurlz, over half didn't see the court very often this year.

VN Store

Back