Tennessee & Kevin Steele Close to A Deal (Confirmed)

Tony Basilio reported on Monday - and it was echoed here and other places - that Steele was being hired. And he said that it has NOTHING to do with Pruitt being back or not.

Just an opinion but here's what I think it means - the next coach is already on board with Steele being on the defensive staff (Marrone) or will just be happy to be the Head Coach and will take anyone they suggest (Chadwell). I'd rather have Chadwell if it's down to Marrone or Chadwell because Chadwell can at least bring new blood and excitement.

Tony Basilio reported on Monday - and it was echoed here and other places - that Steele was being hired. And he said that it has NOTHING to do with Pruitt being back or not.

Just an opinion but here's what I think it means - the next coach is already on board with Steele being on the defensive staff (Marrone) or will just be happy to be the Head Coach and will take anyone they suggest (Chadwell). I'd rather have Chadwell if it's down to Marrone or Chadwell because Chadwell can at least bring new blood and excitement.

It means Kevin Steele is joining Jeremy Pruitt's staff

I dont think he will get the permanent job unless Tennessee does something crazy like winning 10 games after firing Pruitt. I find both ideas highly improbable but if Steele comes into this mess and wins 10 games I say sign him on the spot LOL

You're probably right, but I also feel like our administration has lowered the bar so much that we are bringing back a guy that went 3-7 with inexcusable losses to Kentucky and Arkansas. So, my counterpoint would be that I don't know how well he would have to do to get an offer. Fulmer considered him for the job when he hired Pruitt, and if he takes over at game 6, after blowouts to Florida and Georgia, and then manages to get us to a bowl, I could see the unthinkable happening.

I agree with everything you said. But knowing how Fulmer has operated as HC and AD he trust his friends alot and I think him chancing his career as HC on Dave Clawson someone out of his circle. And same as AD with Pruitt. Neither worked out. So I see him doing what he typically does and lean on his close circle and Marrone is in that. Chadwell I doubt they know each other. So while you and I want something different and someone with a high ceiling. I see Fulmer going with a hire comfortable for him and he will see Marrone as the high floor guy even if his ceiling may not be as high as someone like Chadwell.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacherwebb
Or incredibly smart. If the NCAA brings the hammer down and Pruitt is fired, the Vols have a built-in interim coach.

Remember, all this is happening at the same time the university refuses to address contracts of current coaches.
NCAA moves at a snail’s pace. Investigations by them last years, not a few months. Punishment wouldn’t come for 2-3 years, then appeals, etc.

Hiring Steele as analyst is a good move, AU on the hook for his salary and use his experience. If they hire him as position coach, likely means Pruitt remains HC. Pruitt isn’t hiring the next guys staff. Only exception would be if they want Steele as HC and are already planning on firing Pruitt. That would still be against standard nomenclature.

The language in his contract is extremely open-ended for him to take another job if he chooses to do so. Like I said, this "hire" isn't what you think it is.
Then elaborate one what you think it means, please. To me there are two options here.

1.) Pruitt is staying
2.) Pruitt is gone and Steele is taking over.

No way Pruitt goes for a new guy on his staff knowing #2 is a viable option. So to me this scream Pruitt is safe and this whole "investigation" is really going to turn out to be nothing minus Neids getting the can and maybe a 1 year post season ban.

Reactions: LookoutforVols

Your scenario leaves out one important person: Pruitt. If this is how it's being played out, then the higher ups and not Pruitt made this Steele call. But the problem here is that you'd assume it wouldn't leak that Pruitt is already gone. Pruitt would be making so much noise right now if this scenario is playing out the way you see it. That or the athletic department leaks would be flooding with news that Pruitt has been let go.

I "Steele" haven't found what I am looking for.

Man, I hate you so much right now. Thanks a lot! Now I'll have this stuck in my head the rest of the day.
tenor.gif

I woke up this morning with this one in my mind (I have no idea why) and it took me all day to get this out of my head:

GnarlsBarkleyCrazyCover.JPG

You deserve this:
tenor.gif

My assumption was that he would take over LB's when Neidermeyes becomes the fall guy.

I could see a possible Co-DC/linebackers coach position, so that he's not technically below Ansley. It's hard to think a guy with the experience and cache in this league would take a step down job.

Reactions: VolNExile
Or incredibly smart. If the NCAA brings the hammer down and Pruitt is fired, the Vols have a built-in interim coach.

Remember, all this is happening at the same time the university refuses to address contracts of current coaches.
This isn't even an NCAA investigation. If the NCAA brings the hammer down, it will be years from now.

VN Store

Back