Tennessee is the buyout king

Novel idea... spending more money upfront to land a good coach would actually save money in the long run. It’s like they’re running a racket over there

giphy.gif

Reactions: KBVol
Hiring on the cheap sure saves a lot of money!
It’s like buying the dollar general trash bags, they don’t last and tear at the slightest puncture. Just buy hefty or glad, save you a lot of pain and headache in the long run.

Hell, were afraid Michigan was going to hire him away!!!

Worse investment than Dooley. At least Dooley didn't lead UT to historical lows, claim success from 9-4, use premeditated excuses, or walk out on the team during the season.

Tennessee didn’t pinch pennies when it came to recruiting expenses, accumulating $3.2 million in recruiting costs. Only Georgia ($4 million) and Alabama ($3.3 million) spent more on recruiting.

That was the only part of the article that interested me. Good to see that Fulmer and JP are spending to get us back in competition.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The implicit assumption of many posters on this thread is that high profile coaches are lined up to come to coach the Vols if only the University would pony up the cash.

Compensation is one component, and only one component, of attracting a good hire. Successful people want to understand how they can be successful in a new position. TN has not been an attractive destination for proven coaches lately, for a lot of obvious reasons. Personally, I don't think throwing (more) money at it would have mattered a lot. Once the roster is restocked and stability is restored, that should change. I hope Pruitt is the HBC for a long time. But if he is only there for two or three more years, he at least has to get the right players and show progress. If he can do that we are on the right path back.

Almost every time we’ve had made a coaching hire the past decade we’ve went the value route. And as a businessman that always makes me sick. I’ve heard it said that bama could pay saban 40 million a year and still be underpaying him relative to what the program makes annually with him at the helm. Colleges (obviously) dont pay the players so they net so much more of their revenue than an nfl team. You get what you pay for. Yet over and over again we’ve chosen the value hire. It’s the really safe play for an ad. And ads tend to be very analytical/intellectual types. Most are ballsy gamblers and salesman. You really do ha e to give bama credit for bucking that trend. They brought the bank to saban and wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back