Tennessee is NOT a good football team - Fact or Fiction

We’re not imo a good football team yet. We’re a very good offense. Still we have areas where teams can exploit us at will and have success. Like literally if a team commits to running the ball with the QB we will struggle to stop them. I think we’re on the right track but we have a talent deficit and some obvious holes on defense.

Fiction.
The team we have today would have beaten Pitt and possibly Florida and would be ranked in the top #25. We beat a top 20 KY, destroyed multiple teams in our division. It took a flop fest from a top 10 Ole Miss team for them to beat us, we competed hard with 2 of the top 4 teams in America, we set a program record for TFLs, our offensive staff is leveraging the talent to produce potential NFL draftees… multiple receivers and running backs who can hang 100 yards on a team… this is a good team. I think it’s a top 20 team personally.

Last edited:
You can carve this in stone. Success in the SEC depends on manpower (i.e., recruiting). There's never been a great Tennessee team that didn't have a lot of exceptional athletes, going back to the days of Neyland. The cold, hard fact is that there will never be another great Tennessee team without those kinds of athletes. Smoke and mirrors can take you only so far.

Tennessee did some good things this year but the divide between us and the SEC elite is still massive and I don’t see us winning the recruiting battles we need to turn things around. Only time will tell but on the current path; I think Tennessee takes a step backward next year.

Reactions: lefthander
I bet Ole Miss ( top 10) and Pitt (top 15) think we were pretty good too. A little depth against Ala and Ga would have gone a long way. Good things to those who are patient. I am referring to the current staff.

This. I contend that we are one play in each of those games from being 9-3. I get 'ifs and buts' and all, but if Hooker doesn't throw the pick against AL, that game may have had a different outcome also. I think we are a pretty good football team right now. We need some help on defense, but a good QB will make a coach look like a genius. Hooker is a good QB, and if he comes back next year he could be great. Recruiting and Portal picking will make the difference for us. I think next year looks very bright.

If our defense can be above average and our offense continues to be top 10 or so, we can pretty easily be at least a perennial 9-10 win team.

We’ve got the best up and coming coach in the SEC. Nick Satan is starting to slip and won’t be around much longer. But he’s still good enough to to beat Kirby Dumb this weekend. Watch and see. Mark Stupid at Kentucky couldn’t beat us this year with his 9-3 team. The east is crumbling and we will rise. Florida had a terrible season and fired Dan Mullet, and Shameful Beamer is gonna leave USCjr after one year for Oklahoma. Missouri is a mess thanks to coach Dimwhits. The west is in disarray too. Lame Kitten is doing well, but will leave Ole Piss as soon as he gets the chance. Mike Loser at Mississippi state can’t win a big game. LSU just hired Brenda Kelley who can’t win a big game either. Dumbo Fisher beat Alabama but can’t beat lesser teams. Auburns coach might leave after only one season too. I would make fun of his name but I don’t even know what it is.

We’ve got the best up and coming coach in the SEC. Nick Satan is starting to slip and won’t be around much longer. But he’s still good enough to to beat Kirby Dumb this weekend. Watch and see. Mark Stupid at Kentucky couldn’t beat us this year with his 9-3 team. The east is crumbling and we will rise. Florida had a terrible season and fired Dan Mullet, and Shameful Beamer is gonna leave USCjr after one year for Oklahoma. Missouri is a mess thanks to coach Dimwhits. The west is in disarray too. Lame Kitten is doing well, but will leave Ole Piss as soon as he gets the chance. Mike Loser at Mississippi state can’t win a big game. LSU just hired Brenda Kelley who can’t win a big game either. Dumbo Fisher beat Alabama but can’t beat lesser teams. Auburns coach might leave after only one season too. I would make fun of his name but I don’t even know what it is.
Lordy

Fulmer says hello.
Averaged 8.8 wins per season
Throw out his interim and 2 losing seasons he averaged 9.9 per season.
Wasn't enough.

And here we have someone else equating wins and losses with the firing and nothing else.

There was a helluva lot more to do with it. None of it may matter to you, but his level of support and the local patience in his final 3 years was dropping fast. It got to the point that you could pick up a copy of KNS, and there would be just as much coverage of Vols football players on the front page as the sports page. And sadly, we got more of the same while Kiffin was here. That is why Dooley started the VFL program, and Butch Jones was taking players to do public service projects. Somebody needed to find a way to turn that trend around, and Fulmer did nothing.

Yeah in the end, he got fired for losing. But at that time, Tennessee had not yet developed the habit of firing coaches. Fulmer had been the coach for 17 season. Before him Major was there for 16. The Tennessee administration was not involved in the crazy arms race that we have nowadays. Their expectation was, up until Fulmer was finally fired, to be competent and give the fanbase a program they could be proud of.

So take your short and clueless summation of what "Wasn't enough" and toss it out the window. Because it had little to nothing to do with why he was fired.

And next time he says Hello? Reply with Goodbye.

Reactions: lefthander
Once TX and OK join SEC will expectations have to change?

Not really. The level of competition should get a little bigger, but if trends continue the way they have? Expectations will probably stay right about where they are now.

And here we have someone else equating wins and losses with the firing and nothing else.

There was a helluva lot more to do with it. None of it may matter to you, but his level of support and the local patience in his final 3 years was dropping fast. It got to the point that you could pick up a copy of KNS, and there would be just as much coverage of Vols football players on the front page as the sports page. And sadly, we got more of the same while Kiffin was here. That is why Dooley started the VFL program, and Butch Jones was taking players to do public service projects. Somebody needed to find a way to turn that trend around, and Fulmer did nothing.

Yeah in the end, he got fired for losing. But at that time, Tennessee had not yet developed the habit of firing coaches. Fulmer had been the coach for 17 season. Before him Major was there for 16. The Tennessee administration was not involved in the crazy arms race that we have nowadays. Their expectation was, up until Fulmer was finally fired, to be competent and give the fanbase a program they could be proud of.

So take your short and clueless summation of what "Wasn't enough" and toss it out the window. Because it had little to nothing to do with why he was fired.

And next time he says Hello? Reply with Goodbye.
Good bye.

You could also ask Pitt, Ole Miss and Florida. Pitt and OM were very fortunate to win, so if we are bad then so are they. Few would argue that. Florida would love to switch places with us right now...

Not so much. We had a coach that got lazy/lost interest(for whatever reason). That's been rectified. Let me ask you..............if your coach had been 34-15, do you think he would have been fired. We'll know what we have in Napier soon enough. He comes in understanding that the previous guy went 34-15, and lost TWO games to Bama by a total of 8 points. He understands the expectation.

Why does it take UT several years when other programs seem to do that much quicker? McElwain won the SEC E his 1st 2 seasons at UF and they couldn't wait to get rid of him. Kirby was in the NC his 2nd year. Coach O won the NC in his 3rd full season at LSU. Chizik won a NC his 2nd year at Auburn. Malzahn won the SEC and was in the title game his 1st season at Auburn.

I'm not saying UT needs to be at that level or fire the coach. Firing coaches every 2-3 years is not the path to success. But it doesn't HAVE to take several years to compete at that level, IMO.

Boca, McElwain got shown the door because he ran his mouth about the wrong people, didn't show respect where it was expected, made a dubious claim about death threats, and then started losing games. Foley knew pretty quick that he had a problem on his hands and Stricklin found a path to deal with it.

Why does it take UT several years when other programs seem to do that much quicker? McElwain won the SEC E his 1st 2 seasons at UF and they couldn't wait to get rid of him. Kirby was in the NC his 2nd year. Coach O won the NC in his 3rd full season at LSU. Chizik won a NC his 2nd year at Auburn. Malzahn won the SEC and was in the title game his 1st season at Auburn.

I'm not saying UT needs to be at that level or fire the coach. Firing coaches every 2-3 years is not the path to success. But it doesn't HAVE to take several years to compete at that level, IMO.

And you believe McElwain had 30 to 40 players transfer out before that season? Many were starters and best players. Let's compare some apples to apples here. My goodness!!!!!!!!!

If UT wins 7 or 8 games each year the next few years, will Vol fans accept that, or start crying that we need Another coach?

Id say after year 3, assuming we dont get hit with major penalties from the NCAA, 8-4 should be CJHs baseline for wins and he will have to beat Florida, Ala, Ga at least occasionally to keep his job

Id say after year 3, assuming we dont get hit with major penalties from the NCAA, 8-4 should be CJHs baseline for wins and he will have to beat Florida, Ala, Ga at least occasionally to keep his job

Agree. Most rational Vol fans should Look at it this way.

Those teams weren’t at the level of dumpster fire TN has been in the last 15yrs.

We’re not imo a good football team yet. We’re a very good offense. Still we have areas where teams can exploit us at will and have success. Like literally if a team commits to running the ball with the QB we will struggle to stop them. I think we’re on the right track but we have a talent deficit and some obvious holes on defense.
We're a good football team, not a great one in other words.

I bet Ole Miss ( top 10) and Pitt (top 15) think we were pretty good too. A little depth against Ala and Ga would have gone a long way. Good things to those who are patient. I am referring to the current staff.
UT should never lose to pitt. Team is better than they were under Pruitt, but ever since Dooley, UT fans have lowered the bar of expectations. Basically willing to settle. UT isn't good until they can play on the same field as UGA, Florida, and Bama without a double digit loss being the result. What is your definition of patience? 10 years? 15 years? I've patiently been waiting on UT to beat Florida for what 15 years? A mediocre Kentucky team can do it. A crap Missouri team can do it. But my vols get drilled by double digits. It amazes me how many of our fans are this accepting of losing to the big 3 every year. The top talent doesn't want to play were moral victories count, and UT is certainly turning into moral victory U.

We're a good football team, not a great one in other words.
All in your interpretation I suppose. I view a good football team as decent all around with no huge deficiencies. No arguing we have an exceptional offense. I do think the coaches have made the most of what they have.

All in your interpretation I suppose. I view a good football team as decent all around with no huge deficiencies. No arguing we have an exceptional offense. I do think the coaches have made the most of what they have.
I think there's essentially one team in CFB so far this year that fits your description of good.

VN Store

Back