Tennessee in position to win the East in 2020

His number of 4th down and onside kick attempts say otherwise.
He is definitely aggressive in those areas, he's had success at the HS level running those type plays. His overall team concept is going to be defense 1st, don't turn the ball over on offense 2nd. It's the biggest reason as to why JG is our likely starting QB.

He is definitely aggressive in those areas, he's had success at the HS level running those type plays. His overall team concept is going to be defense 1st, don't turn the ball over on offense 2nd. It's the biggest reason as to why JG is our likely starting QB.
I think that’s how he wants to begin, but he’s hinted on a couple different occasions about wanting a high octane offense. He brought Osovet on staff for a reason. I think the groundwork is laid with the freshmen WRs and Bailey + Salter. We’ll be putting up points soon enough.

I think that’s how he wants to begin, but he’s hinted on a couple different occasions about wanting a high octane offense. He brought Osovet on staff for a reason. I think the groundwork is laid with the freshmen WRs and Bailey + Salter. We’ll be putting up points soon enough.
You don't have to have a high octane system to put up points. We ran the fewest RPO's of anybody in the country last season and I just don't see that changing anytime soon. I do think our passing numbers will go up as I believe our overall team has gotten better, should lead to a better run game, which leads to more 1st downs and more passing opportunities thus hopefully more points.

You don't have to have a high octane system to put up points. We ran the fewest RPO's of anybody in the country last season and I just don't see that changing anytime soon. I do think our passing numbers will go up as I believe our overall team has gotten better, should lead to a better run game, which leads to more 1st downs and more passing opportunities thus hopefully more points.
We called tons of RPOs whenever Maurer was in the game. Its just good coaching. Playing to your personnel. When we have the offensive weapons, and a QB who can get them the ball, I expect we'll be throwing it around the yard plenty and seeing Osovet's influence with some unique RPOs.

Reactions: Beagle Bill
I think the potential is there. But covid and quarantine are going to really test the depth and experience of each program, and that's what makes us fallible.

His number of 4th down and onside kick attempts say otherwise.
I think that's been due more to the fact that we were greatly outmatched roster wise against the better teams in our conference and playing fast and loose was the only reasonable chance we had. With the talent gap closing you may see more conventional decision making.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think that's been due more to the fact that we were greatly outmatched roster wise against the better teams in our conference and playing fast and loose was the only reasonable chance we had. With the talent gap closing you may see more conventional decision making.
Well, no matter how you slice it it still equals aggressiveness. He might be less inclined to make those calls with a better roster, or maybe he is just taking the maxims to heart. I don’t see some incredibly conservative coach in Pruitt. If anything, he’s been too aggressive with the 4th down calls.

“[T]he Southeastern Conference’s best coaching staff....”. The first place that the author lost me.... Yes, this staff seems to be an upgrade over what we’ve had, but it is not the best staff in the SEC right now. Sorry.

And then the author puts up pure fantasy in the predictions. We might squeak a win over Florida or Georgia (would still be a surprise), but predicting wins over both.

Did D4H write that?
LSU had the best coordinators but they’re gone.
So, who has the best staff?

LSU had the best coordinators but they’re gone.
So, who has the best staff?

As long as Alabama has Saban, and it is a struggle for us to even compete in that game, I will say Alabama.

And until we start beating Georgia and Florida, I put their staffs ahead, too.

And any team that wins a conference or national title...or even gets into the playoff...their staffs also get the nod.

Sorry, but results matter to me. Now, others on here might prefer to make blustery arguments out of their bias toward UT, but I’ll take the results every time.

Reactions: tbh
I tend to get excited easily and think this is our year. Then I take a sip of reality, and just be grateful for progress.

Reactions: tnutater
@Titans Fan Dan thank you for your recent articles about the Vols. They’ve been both very detailed and insightful and really have focused on the game of football and the upcoming season. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for your nationally syndicated colleagues Dan Wolken or Christine Brennan. It has almost become comical seeing Wolken’s tweets everyday basically praying for someone to cancel college football. Today your own Christine Brennan wrote a nice little sob story about she cannot bring herself to watch college football because of her concerns about Covid-19. How brave of her. If I were in your shoes the level of frustration I would feel would be through the roof knowing that the 2
national college football columnist for my paper were openly pushing a narrative to cancel the season. Maybe Wolken will be moved to USTA tennis and you could grab his spot. You would do a much better job covering a sport that you actually care about .

No he's not. :)

No service, poll or knowledgeable football source has Tennessee beating Ga or Fla going into the season. Now things can change, especially this year, and it already has with the schedule change (Tennessee got an advantage moving GA up & Fla back) but going into the season, Tennessee is a clear underdog in those two games, despite the annual preseason pep rally here again this year.

No service, poll or knowledgeable football source has Tennessee beating Ga or Fla going into the season. Now things can change, especially this year, and it already has with the schedule change (Tennessee got an advantage moving GA up & Fla back) but going into the season, Tennessee is a clear underdog in those two games, despite the annual preseason pep rally here again this year.
I want UGA. I love where they are on the schedule .

GA has a stretch where they play AU, Vols, Al, KY and Florida weeks 2-7. All the experts are jumping off GA because of the absolute crap show they've got going on the offensive side. They'll be lucky to get through that stretch at 3-2 and considering 4 of those teams will have the best defenses in the conference and Ky plays them tough they could easily go 2-3 and be on their 3rd QB by the end of that stretch. It's a good year to be the veteran football team this season.

Like a fine wine...If that fine wine was, in fact, a gallon of pasteurized milk left out in the July sun of an East Tennessee day.

VN Store

Back