Tennessee has reached out to Missouri Seniors

Yes we would be an 8 win team with either Lock or Hurts because they are elite quarterbacks. JG is very far from elite.

QB isn't the most important position. Look at the past superbowls. Peyton was a game manager and still won with a great defense, Brady was terrible this year and won with a great defense, Foles is mediocre and won a superbowl with the eagles smothering defensive line.

When you have a good defense, a player like JG can just become the game manager and win by not making mistakes. JG doesn't throw many INT and would be a perfect game manager.
I think you are missing the point - you state that you still need a QB who can be a game manager and win by not making mistakes. Which perfectly illustrates if you don't have a competent QB, you aren't going to win games. You mention defense, and not a particular position. By your own example, you are solidifying that the QB "position" is the most important position on the field. I agree with you that defense wins championships and is more important than a potent offense - history has proven that teams with the top offensive teams losing the SB. But we are talking about position - not a unit. You further contradict yourself by stating we would win 8 games with Lock or Hurts. There isn't another position on the field you could make a change and immediately improve your record by 3 games (theoretically).

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I liked your post because I thought the same thing. We vilified Hurd for wanting a better situation and labeled him a quitter but welcome Mizzou players who have been in their program for 4-5 years. Not sure playing in a bowl game is as much of a treat for a Senior as it used to be. Even w/o probation they will not be in a major bowl next year, they know that, but UT will probably not be either. The only guys that would transfer would be non-contributors looking for possible playing time elsewhere. JMO

You may have vilified Hurd, but I for one did not.. Painting with a broad brush there bud. I am not going to talk trash about a "kid" because he found that he wanted something different when he got old enough to learn the world is not the sheltered place he once thought it to be. People change as they grow up and sometimes they need something different in their lives. I quit my normal day job a few years after college to travel and teach kids around the world, now I am done with that part of my life and trying to settle back down. Everything changes... Everything.

I can remember numerous posts complaining about Dobbs, too. Don't know how JG will do this coming year, but I also don't think this staff is deliberately keeping a better player on the bench. We've got Weinke and now Chaney/Tee to help him grow and develop. I'd have to think we upgraded the players around him a bit so let's see how it plays out. Hey, one of the young guns might unseat him, but until then, we got precious few options. Get behind the kid. For better or worse, he's UT's QB.

A bad QB loses to Auburn on the road and a #11 ranked Kentucky
JG's effectiveness in those games hinged on won jump ball throws to outside receivers. That only works when you have certain matchup advantages and even then only for a period of time. If it were proof of a "good QB" then it would have carried over to weaker opponents. It didn't.

My support of JG is typical fan support. Your level of hatred toward him is close to a psychiatric condition in need of medical intervention.
Lol. I dont hate him. He just isnt good at sec football. The discipline behind your blind devotion towards JG is impressive though! Maybe you can channel that into his chi and he can improve to .7 tds a game this fall!

Any time someone uses the “You wouldn’t say it to their face” rebuttal on a fan forum, they automatically lose the argument by disqualification. Do better next time.
No they don't. That argument is valid because usually keyboard warriors (smartasses) think that being an ass on a fan forum is acceptable. Acting like a smartass or little punk on a fan forum all the time gets old. When punks and smartasses get called out on it I hope it makes them feel like the losers they were back in school and likely what they still are. Since the person they are ragging is not there to defend themselves I'm going to call them out over it. You must feel it's ok to act like a dumbass all the time.

WE NEED LINEMAN CANT BLAME THE QB WHEN HE DOESNT HAVE TIME TO THROW!!!!

REALLY? HOW MUCH TIME DOES HE NEED??
DOES IT MATTER WHEN HE CAN'T RECOGNIZE WHERE THE PRESSURE IS COMING FROM PRE-SNAP????!

The game analyst pointed out many times over the season how Jarret didn't recognize what was coming. He would go back and diagram HOW you could tell where the pressure was coming from. And yet he still didn't see it.

And yes...sometines the OL just got beat.
But you flock of people that continue to defend such supbar QB play and put it all on the Oline need to be ashamed. How long have you all been watching football and not learned a damn thing....

JG's effectiveness in those games hinged on won jump ball throws to outside receivers. That only works when you have certain matchup advantages and even then only for a period of time. If it were proof of a "good QB" then it would have carried over to weaker opponents. It didn't.
Lol, this is one of the dumbest things I've read this year. The great game he had was just him throwing the ball up in the air and our guys just saved him by going up and catching his weak throws, like I said LOL!

Reactions: k-town_king
Lol, this is one of the dumbest things I've read this year. The great game he had was just him throwing the ball up in the air and our guys just saved him by going up and catching his weak throws, like I said LOL!
Then you need to read some of your own posts.

They were effective passes and have their place as part of a COMPLETE QB's set of tools. But a pony needs more than one trick which is why those passes weren't effective against other, weaker, opponents. If you can't throw slants, lead receivers deep or on crossing patterns... if you can't throw the skinny post, hitch, quick out, 15 yard out, or sometimes even a basic hook... then fades, back shoulders, and deep comebacks aren't going to be effective consistently

WE NEED LINEMAN CANT BLAME THE QB WHEN HE DOESNT HAVE TIME TO THROW!!!!
Need a QB. OL's can't be blamed when the QB takes too long to make a decision.

Actually the Vols need both. They need an OL that gets the job done consistently and a QB who makes good, timely decisions.

Reactions: tbh and cbatey1
I can remember numerous posts complaining about Dobbs, too. Don't know how JG will do this coming year, but I also don't think this staff is deliberately keeping a better player on the bench. We've got Weinke and now Chaney/Tee to help him grow and develop. I'd have to think we upgraded the players around him a bit so let's see how it plays out. Hey, one of the young guns might unseat him, but until then, we got precious few options. Get behind the kid. For better or worse, he's UT's QB.
You're right about the complaints about Dobbs. The truth is that unless your QB is a once in a generational player like Tua or Trevor Lawrence there will always be room to improve and there will always be complaints. I don't see JG becoming a lights out QB next season, but some of his issues are similar to Dobbs in his sophomore season. I think that he will be visibly improved from game one with CJC and Tee working with him for the entire off-season and during games, and a lot of the JG haters will go quiet.

Reactions: VolRoger
You're right about the complaints about Dobbs. The truth is that unless your QB is a once in a generational player like Tua or Trevor Lawrence there will always be room to improve and there will always be complaints. I don't see JG becoming a lights out QB next season, but some of his issues are similar to Dobbs in his sophomore season. I think that he will be visibly improved from game one with CJC and Tee working with him for the entire off-season and during games, and a lot of the JG haters will go quiet.

Please don't mention Dobbs and this non-athletic "Dual Threat" JG in the same sentence

Dobbs was an electric playmaker and put points on the scoreboard, even with a bad offensive line.

Please don't mention Dobbs and this non-athletic "Dual Threat" JG in the same sentence

Dobbs was an electric playmaker and put points on the scoreboard, even with a bad offensive line.
LOL... I wouldn't say that the two are comparable except in this specific context. A lot of Volnation were saying bad things about Dobbs even into his JR season. I know that the two are night and day as it pertains to talent and production, but Dobbs had room to grow as a QB in his sophomore season and so does JG. Although I will agree that JG has plenty more room to grow and probably wont ever make it to the playing level of Dobbs.

JG was the highest rated QB on 3rd down in the SEC DESPITE not having a running game to take the pressure off him. No QB in the SEC had a better game all season than JG had against AU. The kid is very good. He would have been perceived better than Fromm had he had an average OL and a running game . Probably the best passer we've had since Bray, but JG has a better head on his shoulders. I can't fathom why so many people are down on the kid.

JG was the highest rated QB on 3rd down in the SEC DESPITE not having a running game to take the pressure off him. No QB in the SEC had a better game all season than JG had against AU. The kid is very good. He would have been perceived better than Fromm had he had an average OL and a running game . Probably the best passer we've had since Bray, but JG has a better head on his shoulders. I can't fathom why so many people are down on the kid.
The same Dobbs haters hate JG. They are just clueless or agenda driven. Or both.

Because he is slow making decisions and doesn't appear to make pre-snap reads effectively. It matters. It is a BIG problem. It is a problem similar to an OL who can't read a D alignment and pick up the right man in time to prevent a sack.

You can quote statistics all day long except for the two that matter most- points scored and games won.

He is nowhere near as good as Fromm at this point... with or without a good OL. Hopefully Chaney can do the same for him as he did for Fromm and Peterman and others. But JG's decision making is a problem regardless of what happens with the OL just like the OL could remain a problem even if JG's decision making improved.

The same Dobbs haters hate JG. They are just clueless or agenda driven. Or both.
I don't hate JG and never hated Dobbs. Maybe you'll grow up some day and realize that objectively recognizing someone's weaknesses does not equate to "hate". If anyone on this board challenges Dobbs4Heisman in being "clueless and agenda driven"... it is you. If anyone could be classified a "hater"... it would be you toward the rest of the team who you constantly throw under the bus.

There were very, very, very few "Dobbs haters". I criticized the things that Dobbs did poorly. He struggled early reading D's but improved. He struggled throughout his career with having consistent accuracy "in the strike zone". He threw passes that were good enough to be caught but not to a spot that helped the receiver.

And... Dobbs led O's scored bunches of points. Dobbs essentially covered Jones' incompetence by being a good passer, a great runner, and one of the better QB leaders UT has ever had. Not perfect... but much, much better than JG. He was as good throwing the ball plus he learned to read D's and had great legs.

So is there any news here or has this turned into another JG debate thread?

Kirby smart pledged to not poach players fron mizzou. Sure why not Kirby you had the #2 recruiting class. Great PR stunt.
That's pretty silly. Let's all do those kids a favor and make sure they have zero options for their senior year.

If they are in the transfer portal you can do Mizzou a favor and ignore it, or do the players a favor and talk to them. The situation there is what it is. I don't personally see the problem talking to them. Maybe I just don't get it.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back