Tennessee has put college football on notice

We got beat by 3 touchdowns after another blunder by a player who should never have been in the game, again. Maybe if we beat some bad teams down the stretch it can be assumed the program isn't dead. It is a lot early for statements about putting CFB on notice.

We got beat by 3 touchdowns after another blunder by a player who should never have been in the game, again. Maybe if we beat some bad teams down the stretch it can be assumed the program isn't dead. It is a lot early for statements about putting CFB on notice.
We’ve sucked for over a decade. When has that ever stopped us from talking smack? We’re UT fans. We’re always just about to break out. Wouldn’t have it any other way. BUCK FAMA

Yeah, I loved the effort but people are getting a little carried away here. Hopefully what we saw last night carries through the rest of the season.

I’m sorry but if some of you actually watched that game last night and felt that bama never had any doubt they would win the game, then my question is who are the delusional fans now? I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the bama locker room at halftime. I have a feeling Sabin probably ripped quite a few new ones in there. If not for a number of questionable penalty calls, that game could have very easily been tied at the half.

Yes I know there’s another thread on the officiating, but I’ll restate here that a number of those calls were highly questionable, particularly the phantom holding call on JJ’s touchdown from the wildcat formation. Some of you will say “But our guys were actually committing those fouls.” I say talk to any football official and they will tell you they could throw a flag on every play if they strictly adhered to the rules. The trick is knowing when to throw the flag and when to leave it in your pocket. Pruitt commented on it in his postgame press conf, stating he would have to look at the video but he thought it was interesting how almost every time the Vols got near the end zone the flags suddenly started flying. He asked why weren’t those flags flying when they were in the middle of the field? He also said something to the effect that he was curious how his team, which had been one of the least penalized teams in the league prior to this game, suddenly had as many penalties in the first half as they did in some of their previous games.

And for those of you who say what difference does a few questionable penalties (or no calls) have on the outcome of the game - all I can say is go talk to the New Orleans Saints.

Don’t post much. Lurk periodically. I’ve seen notable improvement in this team. What else can you ask for? Only idiots expect immediate success. Only other idiots listen to that gobshite. W/L means nothing this year. Or next year. Continued STEADY improvement does, however.

That is all.

All they did was show that the program might not be lost for the foreseeable future like a lot of folks thought. There's good reason for optimism. Alabama's defense isn't what it used to be and their offense clearly takes a step back without Tua. Georgia has shown some weaknesses. It was almost assumed that Alabama and Georgia were going to dominate the SEC for the next few years, but there are signs that it could be open starting next year.
Okay. Are you saying, UGA and BAMA will NOT dominate the SEC next year? Who will, the only other contender (and they are great) is LSU.

Reactions: 08Vol
If you can't see improvement then I feel bad for you. When was the last time we out physicaled Bama?

Being better than horrible is hardly putting the nation on notice.

There is improvement.

Not even remotely enough to warrant the hyperbole.

Tennessee lost by 20+. Again. Let's not get fitted for those rings just yet.

I’m sorry but if some of you actually watched that game last night and felt that bama never had any doubt they would win the game, then my question is who are the delusional fans now? I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the bama locker room at halftime. I have a feeling Sabin probably ripped quite a few new ones in there. If not for a number of questionable penalty calls, that game could have very easily been tied at the half.

Yes I know there’s another thread on the officiating, but I’ll restate here that a number of those calls were highly questionable, particularly the phantom holding call on JJ’s touchdown from the wildcat formation. Some of you will say “But our guys were actually committing those fouls.” I say talk to any football official and they will tell you they could throw a flag on every play if they strictly adhered to the rules. The trick is knowing when to throw the flag and when to leave it in your pocket. Pruitt commented on it in his postgame press conf, stating he would have to look at the video but he thought it was interesting how almost every time the Vols got near the end zone the flags suddenly started flying. He asked why weren’t those flags flying when they were in the middle of the field? He also said something to the effect that he was curious how his team, which had been one of the least penalized teams in the league prior to this game, suddenly had as many penalties in the first half as they did in some of their previous games.

And for those of you who say what difference does a few questionable penalties (or no calls) have on the outcome of the game - all I can say is go talk to the New Orleans Saints.

I certainly didn't say or imply that. That said, it's nuts to say or suggest we were in control of the game. Yes Bama knew they were in a game and we had some chances. That's quite different from saying/implying we were in control and would have clearly won if: 1) refs weren't screwing us or 2) Mauer had stayed in.

We played well and put up a serious challenge.

You looked pretty good last night....you showed good effort and didn't fold...Tua wasn't on the field and you still have some work to do …..I don't see a big drastic turn around next season but your team is definitely playing better ….good luck next week.

Being better than horrible is hardly putting the nation on notice.

There is improvement.

Not even remotely enough to warrant the hyperbole.

Tennessee lost by 20+. Again. Let's not get fitted for those rings just yet.
Should have been a one score game or a few point lead for us if it wasn't for JG and the horrible officiating...but you can live in your own misery if u want

Okay. Are you saying, UGA and BAMA will NOT dominate the SEC next year? Who will, the only other contender (and they are great) is LSU.
I'm saying it isn't a given like everyone thought. Tua is likely gone. Fromm might leave early and UGA has already struggled some with him this season. To bring up LSU...Burrow will be gone. Alabama and LSU definitely don't have a known 5* QB waiting to take over and neither does UGA if Fromm leaves. Those three teams have benefited from excellent QB play. We saw Alabama's offense take a dive without Tua and when Fromm struggled against SC...well, you saw what happened.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I'm saying it isn't a given like everyone thought. Tua is likely gone. Fromm might leave early and UGA has already struggled some with him this season. To bring up LSU...Burrow will be gone. Alabama and LSU definitely don't have a known 5* QB waiting to take over and neither does UGA if Fromm leaves. Those three teams have benefited from excellent QB play. We saw Alabama's offense take a dive without Tua and when Fromm struggled against SC...well, you saw what happened.
I cannot argue with your post, as it is factually based; however, the other SEC teams are not stagnant, they too will be preparing for next season, the difference is, we seem to be preparing now, the other SEC TEAMS are still worried about taking care of business, right now, this season-getting their teams to a bowl/the SEC championship/NATY. We've slid a long way down the hill.

Reactions: 08Vol
With all respect, you’re 2-5 and your head coach has a career record of 7-12.

Nobody cares that you hung in there with a powerhouse.

When you string together some meaningful WINS, then you can proclaim everyone has been put on notice.
You care cause you’re here commenting on it instead of on your site celebrating the hosing your team and the refs gave USC

My favorite play, the Vol running back was stopped after a few yards, but he kept trying and the entire O-line pushed him to a first down.

To me, that represented the beginning of a new era. I hope I still feel that way this time next year.

You care cause you’re here commenting on it instead of on your site celebrating the hosing your team and the refs gave USC

This again? In 2019? Fans are everywhere.

Florida won v SC in spite of horrible first half officiating against them. A resilient 7-1 team.

If SC could overcome a few bad calls like Florida had to, they and their fans wouldn’t be bellyaching today.

VN Store

Back