Tennessee has no Rival

I have a very neutral attitude towards them. I actually forget they even exist from time to time. Now if you ask a real dye in the wool Tiger fan (granted they are very limited) there’s probably not a team on earth they’d rather beat than Tennessee. (My daughter was actually on Coach McNelis staff at Memphis for 4 years and she is an awesome lady). But I think most Vol fans don’t have Memphis on their radar. JMO

That's completely fair and probably accurately describes most fan's feelings about Memphis. I just think Tennessee "deserves" an in-state rival, and I have a hard time viewing Tennessee in the same universe as a tiny, private, academic juggernaut like Vandy (baseball aside, of course). Memphis just strikes me as providing more of that perfect "big brother/little brother" relationship to Tennessee, especially given how similar-yet-different Memphis and Knoxville are as cities.

Reactions: tennrich1
We have teams that share dislike for each other, but if you ask Alabama they will say Auburn, Florida will say Florida State. Wonder if we will ever start a series with someone who could become our rivals one day and play that game for a trophy or something. Who are your ideas for the team that would spark a rivalry with UT?
Oklahoma and Texas will here here shortly but they are rivals with each other...I can honestly see a Tennessee/Oklahoma rivalry starting and of course the battle of the UT's....Kentucky looks at us as thier biggest rival I believe....Alabama will ALWAYS be our biggest rival historically.

I know many disagree but if you asked me who is Tennessee's top rival, I would point to Kentucky. Vanderbilt is probably #2 but Vandy really gets hurt by the fact they are NEVER good.

Kentucky struggles as well in Football but if you think all sports, they would be our top rival.

Alabama is probably our #2 in football and that works because we are their #2 after Auburn.

With Kentucky, we are their #1 most hated SEC opponent but they have Louisville.

Bring back the Beer barrel!

Reactions: NighthawkVol
idk how you can see TSIO this year and the impact it had across the entire nation and not say TN/AL is a true rivalry

Our 3 Rivals are Bama, Vandy and KY in that order. Florida is now up to #4, UGA #5.

But after next season when divisions go away, our 3 annual SEC Rivals will be Bama, Vandy and KY!

Bama will have Aub, TN and maybe LSU
Auburn will have UGA, Bama and FL
UGA will have FL, Aub and probably SCAR.
Vandy will have TN, KY and probably Ole Miss.
LSU/Arky/Ole Miss and MissSt have alot of crossrivalry so they may square off on each other.
aTm, uTa, OK and Mizzou might square off on each other too.

I know many disagree but if you asked me who is Tennessee's top rival, I would point to Kentucky. Vanderbilt is probably #2 but Vandy really gets hurt by the fact they are NEVER good.

Kentucky struggles as well in Football but if you think all sports, they would be our top rival.

Alabama is probably our #2 in football and that works because we are their #2 after Auburn.

With Kentucky, we are their #1 most hated SEC opponent but they have Louisville.
Kentucky definitely sees us as their rival, and they really hate us 😂… maybe we should lean into that 😂

Bama is our rival rather we're theirs or not, but Vandy is our main rival, I dislike most teams we play but I hate vandy
True, with Vandy it’s a state domination thing as well as a culture clash of sorts 😂 my parents both have undergrad UT, post grad Vandy, and guess who they root for?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I can tell you for a fact, UK would lose to U of L in football anytime if it meant beating UT.
Not even up for debate.
My former boss was a huge Kentucky fan.. she was psycho with her dislike of UT (I may have hidden my alma mater from her until I knew I was leaving the job)…😳 it was that serious 😂

Reactions: NighthawkVol
We have teams that share dislike for each other, but if you ask Alabama they will say Auburn, Florida will say Florida State. Wonder if we will ever start a series with someone who could become our rivals one day and play that game for a trophy or something. Who are your ideas for the team that would spark a rivalry with UT?
Kentucky?

Bear Bryant said that he didn’t give a damn about winning any other games as long as Bama beat Tennessee.

VN Store

Back