Tennessee Football: 5 strengths with Vols revamped staff heading into 2019

Is anybody else uneasy about moving Weinke to receivers and Johnson, who was a proven and sought after receivers coach to running backs?
giphy.gif

Tennessee football: 5 strengths with Vols revamped staff heading into 2019

"In the offseason, Jeremy Pruitt replaced his offensive coordinator and brought in a new defensive coordinator. Tennessee football has three new coaches overall, and five new positions have changed coaches.

Simply put, the Vols have totally changed up their staff. Even the special teams coordinator is different, although he is a returning coach from last year’s team, Kevin Sherrer. Jim Chaney is the new offensive coordinator and Derrick Ansley is the new defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Meanwhile, Tee Martin is the new position coach, coming into lead the wide receivers. Chris Weinke moved over to quarterbacks coach, and David Johnson moved over to running backs coach. Charles Kelly, Tyson Helton and Terry Fair are all gone. As a result, Tennessee football made a splash in the offseason with the way it changed things up.

But is this all good news or bad news? After all, change for change’s sake isn’t always great. Sure, the Vols had a historically bad offense last year, but that doesn’t all fall on the staff members who were there. And the defense was serviceable."

We got the Xs and Os locked down. Without a doubt one of the best staffs in CFB. Just need more Jimmy and Joes.

Good to see ya DD, the Vols just need to have more pride and and give more effort to overacheive this year......getting a few breaks won't hurt either, the ball need to bounce Tennessee's way more often

Learned my lesson when I was touting Butch as the next General Neyland.
At least you own your mistakes and aren't like "well, it was accurate at the time, but Butch suffered a little known aneurysm in the spring of 2017 that only we insider's know about that prevented it."

Reactions: 08Vol
We got the Xs and Os locked down. Without a doubt one of the best staffs in CFB. Just need more Jimmy and Jo

Keep telling yourself that. Never mind the undisciplined play or the team quitting at season's end either.
That was all on Chaney and Ansley.

Very little of this matters unless the O-Line can keep from being a complete disaster again. A bad O-Line affects the run and the pass game tremendously. A nice start would be if our linemen don't let defensive linemen just run past them. Hopefully we see improvement in this department this year. If not, we will stink it up again.

I would hate to think Fair didn't know his stuff, ability to teach it, maybe the problem.
Don’t think that Fair “didn’t know his stuff”, it’s just that Ansley has great history with Pruitt and could also step in as well as DC to free Pruitt up to do more head coaching things....just an upgrade from a relatively new, inexperienced DB coach in Fair, to an already proven, experienced, “young superstar” type coach in Ansley

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Don’t think that Fair “didn’t know his stuff”, it’s just that Ansley has great history with Pruitt and could also step in as well as DC to free Pruitt up to do more head coaching things....just an upgrade from a relatively new, inexperienced DB coach in Fair, to an already proven, experienced, “young superstar” type coach in Ansley
How many years NFL playing time did Ansley have?

I read where Weinke is now the QB coach, Tee is WRs coach and Johnson is the RB coach.

BTW Johnson coached Leonard Fournette and another prominent RB in HS.

Yeah his Freshman and Sophomore year in HS though and he was the HC. He did coach Tulane RBs, but it just seemed his natural spot was receivers. That said, so is Tee’s who has more experience, so I can see it now. Clearly Johnson is versatile.

I read where Weinke is now the QB coach, Tee is WRs coach and Johnson is the RB coach.

BTW Johnson coached Leonard Fournette and another prominent RB in HS.

Yeah his Freshman and Sophomore year in HS though and he was the HC. He did coach Tulane RBs, but it just seed his natural spot was receivers. That said, so is Tee’s who has more experience, so I can see it now. Clearly Johnson is versatile

VN Store

Back