Tennessee favored by 4.5 over Pitt

Tru, stars are nice, the more the shinier the prospect. At the of the day the players have to go out and execute, they have to develop that potential. Like you said app state had every opportunity to beat unc today and looking at the stars they should’ve never had a chance, but they went out and competed and executed enough to put them in a position to win.
If stars mattered that much then we wouldn’t play any games, if so called team has more 4 or 5 stars then this team, then the inferior team would forfeit, but they don’t bc that stuff matters yes but it’s not the most important thing.

It is the most important thing. Look who are the last men standing every year, and look who has the star power. It’s not a coincidence.

That is the rule. But there are exceptions.

It is the most important thing. Look who are the last men standing every year, and look who has the star power. It’s not a coincidence.

That is the rule. But there are exceptions.
You know what you’re right. Their shouldn’t be but 5 teams aloud to play college football. The rest are just inferior and stand no chance of winning.
You’re opinion is a narrow way of thinking, yes it matters, but how many more teams fail with loaded teams bc they didn’t develop or execute or take care of the other things that are required to win a championship? USC,Texas,Georgia for the longest time, Texas a&m, lsu while winning a nc not to long ago they underperform.
I guess my point is, it a team like Tennessee wants to beat the likes of Alabama. Before we can just outclass them bc we have the better roster. We have to be better at executing, and developing our players into our system. Then we will attract the top 5 classes but even then, a lot of work will need to be done to continue to develop the players. Theirs alot more to a team then just having the best roster.

You know what you’re right. Their shouldn’t be but 5 teams aloud to play college football. The rest are just inferior and stand no chance of winning.
You’re opinion is a narrow way of thinking, yes it matters, but how many more teams fail with loaded teams bc they didn’t develop or execute or take care of the other things that are required to win a championship? USC,Texas,Georgia for the longest time, Texas a&m, lsu while winning a nc not to long ago they underperform.
I guess my point is, it a team like Tennessee wants to beat the likes of Alabama. Before we can just outclass them bc we have the better roster. We have to be better at executing, and developing our players into our system. Then we will attract the top 5 classes but even then, a lot of work will need to be done to continue to develop the players. Theirs alot more to a team then just having the best roster.

Again, those facts are pesky. Fight it all you want. You can argue against the preseason top of the polls, or the postseason top of the polls. You’ll lose both times.

We need to get in the neighborhood of similar recruiting as the Georgia, and Bama’s. Nico is a good start. NIL may get us there. But, make no mistake, it matters more than any other factor.

Again, those facts are pesky. Fight it all you want. You can argue against the preseason top of the polls, or the postseason top of the polls. You’ll lose both times.

We need to get in the neighborhood of similar recruiting as the Georgia, and Bama’s. Nico is a good start. NIL may get us there. But, make no mistake, it matters more than any other factor.
We do need to get to their level. We’re going to have to beat them on the field a few times with inferior star rankings to do that. Wouldn’t you agree? Or do we somehow get a number one recruiting class with 7-6 seasons?

We do need to get to their level. We’re going to have to beat them on the field a few times with inferior star rankings to do that. Wouldn’t you agree? Or do we somehow get a number one recruiting class with 7-6 seasons?

No, i agree. Picking up a win sure wouldn’t hurt. And Heupel’s style, with tempo, and sheer volume of offensive plays is the type system that could pull it off. Pruitt’s sure wasn’t ever going to.

I think NIL could be an even bigger factor if we can take advantage of it. The almighty dollar talks loud.

And as a sidebar …. T Banks need to get it together this year, or get on down the road. A competent defense that can occasionally get off the field would help our cause.

Reactions: SonOfGodVolforlife
No, i agree. Picking up a win sure wouldn’t hurt. And Heupel’s style, with tempo, and sheer volume of offensive plays is the type system that could pull it off. Pruitt’s sure wasn’t ever going to.

I think NIL could be an even bigger factor if we can take advantage of it. The almighty dollar talks loud.

And as a sidebar …. T Banks need to get it together this year, or get on down the road. A competent defense that can occasionally get off the field would help our cause.
As good as our nil is, we can’t realistically expect to pay top dollar for every prospect we want, or afford to get into a bidding war for every prospect.
I agree that we need these top 5 classes to compete for championships, but we’re going to have to pull some upsets and have a couple seasons over achieving to help our nil lure in these recruits.
I agree with you that our offensive system can cause these upsets but our defensive scheme has yet to impress me. I’m with you on Tim banks, he needs to prove this year an impressed defense or he needs to go.

Pitt is playing at home for one and ranked. They are coming off a 11 win season and ACC title. Why shouldn’t they be favored? They usually give the home team 3 points and this is a toss up. I’m really surprised that we are favored not saying we won’t win but this is going to be a very tough game to win. And Pitt being a underdog will give them motivation I don’t like that. I would prefer us in the underdog role.
They shouldn't be favored after that showing against West Virginia. Let's also take into effect their best players from last year are no longer on their team. Which is the main reason why they aren't favored. We should beat them by at least two TDs.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Yeah....no.

But I do think we cover the spread by 10-14 pts!

Let’s say you’re right and we are 10-14 points better than them (it’s within the real of possibility that you’re right).

If we play 100x we may only win 60-70 of those. Because x number of games will involve unforeseen injuries and/or turnovers (ball bounces off a WRs hands, bad snaps, etc).

And within those 60-70 that we do win, y number of those games will be 4 points or less.

So you end up with around 50/50 odds of covering and that doesn’t cut it for me.

Let’s say you’re right and we are 10-14 points better than them (it’s within the real of possibility that you’re right).

If we play 100x we may only win 60-70 of those. Because x number of games will involve unforeseen injuries and/or turnovers (ball bounces off a WRs hands, bad snaps, etc).

And within those 60-70 that we do win, y number of those games will be 4 points or less.

So you end up with around 50/50 odds of covering and that doesn’t cut it for me.
I see what you’re saying but the business/stats side of me cringed at this (no offense). You can’t assign 50/50 odds of covering the spread without probabilities from each individual game. And in football, you can’t accurately determine the probability of outcomes with each individual game because, like you said, there’s way too much error. But anyways... I get your point. I wouldn’t lay the 4.5 either. Not at this point in the season

Your underestimating coaching though and Narduzzi is a hell of a coach and grossly underrated
Prior to last year he was 36-34 vs FBS teams as Pitt's HC. He had a Heisman QB and a Biletnikoff winning WR. Maybe Heupel isn't as good as I am inclined to think... but my opinion is that UT actually has the coaching advantage in this game.

If you can get Pitt + 4.5 jump all over that, even if you're the biggest Vol fan ever. Those odds will change dramatically by game time.
So your belief is that Pitt will either win or lose by less than 5 points?

I’ve not seen enough of either of these 2 teams.
By next Saturday evening we should have enough to make a somewhat informed bet.
Degenerate gamblers 😂
I have, however, seen enough of UK and FL to give UK 5.5 points and take the Gators

You're right. You just have to overlook some posters. They think we are good enough right now to beat the Rams in the Superbowl
No. Just good enough to beat a middling ACC team that just lost by far its best two players and needed a "gimme" pick 6 to beat a team on the verge of firing its coach for not getting the job done.

Your hyperbole in this case... is just a lie. No one is suggesting UT can beat the Rams and few think the Vols stand a chance vs Bama or UGA. But there are 10 games on the schedule as things sit today that are winnable. The Pitt game is not just "winnable" but a game that UT has a talent advantage and probably a coaching advantage.

Yea maybe they stole that game but they still won against a much better opponent than we played they overcame adversity and came back and won with a new QB. We really have no idea what we have yet after our game. Here is what worries me going into the Pitt game that we are too much of a finesse and soft team I wasn’t particularly impressed with our run game and Oline blocking against a JV team basically. I’m worried that we will lose the line of scrimmage battle against Pitt and they are going to out tough us in the trenches. Hope I’m wrong though
Average ass WVU just had 404 yards against their defense.

How are they gonna stop us exactly?

Pitt is playing at home for one and ranked. They are coming off a 11 win season and ACC title. Why shouldn’t they be favored? They usually give the home team 3 points and this is a toss up. I’m really surprised that we are favored not saying we won’t win but this is going to be a very tough game to win. And Pitt being a underdog will give them motivation I don’t like that. I would prefer us in the underdog role.
Maybe because they lost the 2 best players on the team.

Reactions: HalfullVol

VN Store

Back