Tennessee DL Darel Middleton was arrested this morning on two charges.

The most important thing is Darel has already issued a very well written apology, and has stated he'll seek alcohol rehab, I'm sure this should be enough, if the girl friend ($$$) does not want to press any charges, and other man friend doesn't ($$$) press any charges-then CJP has this thing by the horns-let the good times roll.
1583218012496.gif

Good post.

I'm responsible for a significant business and a fairly large team of employees. I'm not particularly tolerant.... but I don't drop the hammer on good employees for making one error even if its serious. Mostly you should look for patterns of behavior which is why I've repeatedly said that if this is no more than we know from the reports then he shouldn't be booted. He got drunk and got in a scuffle. It isn't what you want from any student. It isn't something you accept. He needs to face punishment. But IMO based on what we know... kicking him off the team is not a punishment befitting the crime.

PS- just by your tone you are more credible than the other guy. I wasn't looking for names... specifics of the incident would do. Again, I'm looking for something that parallels this. As far as we know, this is his first incident and no one was serious injured.

PSS- a SJW would blame this on white privilege and demand that all be forgiven without any accountability.
Some have alluded to him having incidents in the past, not necessarily of this nature but still reasons for concern. I understand wanting a harsher punishment if that’s the case, but I’m not aware of any incidents so it’s not a part of my judgement.

Ok well there are two cases I’ve seen that are somewhat similar:
1. Friend of a classmate was very drunk one night and attempting to drive. Two girls took his keys. Originally he just wanted his keys back and everything was friendly, but eventually he lost patience and took them, which involved shoving one of the girls to the ground and gripping the others arm while trying to get the keys and leaving bruises. And apparently he got booted.
2. The second didn’t involve any women but basically was one person tormenting his three roommates and threatening bizarre things (like jumping off the dorm) until one day he got violent and fought one of his roommates. Apparently he got his butt kicked but he still was kicked out as well. I’m aware of this one because it was right down the hall.
You could argue these are worse than Darrel’s incident, I will admit, but it’s hard to say without knowing exactly what happened, so again that’s why I defer to Pruitt and perhaps Fulmer’s decision as they know both the situation and the person better than any of us

You’re what happens when lack of perception meets failure of humor. 😴 If the allegations are true, he should be gone imo. Difference between PHYSICALLY assaulting a female and talking mean to her...perspective.
He is a good player that many here want to defend, however, I have been drunk and mad never hit a woman or anyone else that was physically inferior. I totally agree with you on this one. I don't think Coach Pruitt will tolerate this behavior, or hope he won't.

This young kid (24 years old) told his girlfriend he was sorry, damn, what more do you people want? You want to ruin his life? Just because he knocked the crap out of some guy, and shoved his girl friend down a couple of times? I'm sure CJP will fix this-make it go away-and that'll be that.

Sad as it is, we actually have some folks on VN who take every opportunity to kick and stomp players when they're down. Not that it excuses players bouts of beyond stupid behavior. But how these judgmental posters come out on cue to consistedly and rigidly damn players for any infraction. So yes, some here really do want to ruin some players' lives.

Sad as it is, we actually have some folks on VN who take every opportunity to kick and stomp players when they're down. Not that it excuses players bouts of beyond stupid behavior. But how these judgmental posters come out on cue to consistedly and rigidly damn players for any infraction. So yes, some here really do want to ruin some players' lives.
Whiskey and Wimmen/ John Lee Hooker. D.M. needs to listen and learn. I had to buy 2 houses before I learned .

Whiskey and Wimmen/ John Lee Hooker. D.M. needs to listen and learn. I had to buy 2 houses before I learned .

I hear you loud and clear. My post's point, however, was in regard to those lightning-swift to judge posters who go after players who make practically any mistake or get caught in some nitwit conduct. Those posters seem to just lie in wait so they can pounce on a player with a vengeance.

I hear you loud and clear. My post's point, however, was in regard to those lightning-swift to judge posters who go after players who make practically any mistake or get caught in some nitwit conduct. Those posters seem to just lie in wait so they can pounce on a player with a vengeance.
I knew where you were coming from. Haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll, but this incident is a big nothing burger IMO. My point is that whiskey and wimmen have ruined more lives than internet posters and nothin good happens after midnight. Let him run a few bleachers, tell him it’s stupid to fight over women and let it all be forgiven.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I knew where you were coming from. Haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll, but this incident is a big nothing burger IMO. My point is that whiskey and wimmen have ruined more lives than internet posters and nothin good happens after midnight. Let him run a few bleachers, tell him it’s stupid to fight over women and let it all be forgiven.

No one of sound mind and good judgment can argue with what you said about liquor and women ruining lives. A shame men are too stupid to take that knowledge to heart and remedy the situation. Until then, I guess those who opt for it get what you insist on having.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
DM apologizes and will go to Alcohol counseling. I really hope that this is filed under life lesson learned. I hate when these kids cross the line from young and dumb to stupid decisions.

Darel Middleton issues apology to Tennessee, commits to treatment following weekend arrest

Darel Middleton may have put his college playing career in jeopardy over the weekend after getting arrested, which made headlines. Now he vows to do what he can to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

If you missed it, Middleton was charged with domestic assault and public intoxication in Knoxville following an altercation that led to his girlfriend being pushed to the ground twice, according to the police report.

Middleton is set to be a senior next season and one of the anchors of the defensive line after starting six games and appearing in 13 contests in 2019 but it’s unclear how Tennessee is going to handle this run-in with the law.

Following his weekend arrest, Middleton has issued the following tweet with this caption:

“Not looking for sympathy. I’m looking for those who know me deep down inside to know. That wasn’t me and I owned up to my mistakes. I WANT TO APOLOGIZE TO THE UNIVERSITY AND OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM AS WE CONTINUE TO RISE. For the embarrassment.”

The tweet also had this lengthy statement, in which Middleton claims he will seek treatment for his use of alcohol:

“I would like to issue a formal apology for my actions this past week. Through my actions, I brought negative attention to my family, team, school, the Vol Nation and myself. I know the expectations of our program and the direction we are heading as a program. I am sorry to bring any negative to what we are doing. I know from my past, how perception not just label you but everyone around you. I have a daughter and I love so much and to realize one incident could ruin everything I worked for really made me think.

“In my growth, I am learning to take responsibility for my actions. No matter what my intent may have been, I was wrong in my actions. I have come to realize that alcohol is not a program for me in regards of how much, how often, etc. I realize it is a problem if it can cause me to act in a way the not in my best interest. For that, I am seeking Alcohol Counseling now. I am going to contact Ms. Juarez, with the Center of Health Education and Wellness, to see if they could help with my counseling.

“Again, I am sorry that I brought this negative attention on this program and university. I am grateful for the opportunity I have received. from the University of Tennessee. Although my actions may not have shown it, I do value this opportunity to improve my family situation.”

Some have alluded to him having incidents in the past, not necessarily of this nature but still reasons for concern. I understand wanting a harsher punishment if that’s the case, but I’m not aware of any incidents so it’s not a part of my judgement.

Ok well there are two cases I’ve seen that are somewhat similar:
1. Friend of a classmate was very drunk one night and attempting to drive. Two girls took his keys. Originally he just wanted his keys back and everything was friendly, but eventually he lost patience and took them, which involved shoving one of the girls to the ground and gripping the others arm while trying to get the keys and leaving bruises. And apparently he got booted.
2. The second didn’t involve any women but basically was one person tormenting his three roommates and threatening bizarre things (like jumping off the dorm) until one day he got violent and fought one of his roommates. Apparently he got his butt kicked but he still was kicked out as well. I’m aware of this one because it was right down the hall.
You could argue these are worse than Darrel’s incident, I will admit, but it’s hard to say without knowing exactly what happened, so again that’s why I defer to Pruitt and perhaps Fulmer’s decision as they know both the situation and the person better than any of us
Honestly, we're probably in the same place on this. There is black, white, and gray. In the gray area... I think you give guys a second chance. I've been around long enough to see how bad discipline got under Fulmer. Lamarcus Coker had like 5 failed drug tests. Fulmer had found ways to keep him on the team until it was exposed how far beyond the policy he was.

I'm not saying Middleton shouldn't be punished. He should. He should also be on a very short... and thin leash going forward. I just don't think you cut him loose unless there's a lot more we don't know.

Hate it when players get into trouble for 2 reasons 1. Bad deal for himself, the university and the team. 2. You get some fans that try to be judge,jury,and executioner before any facts are put out there, mistakes or dumb decisions happen regardless of age or maturity level, nobody is perfect even if you think you are.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Come on man! The girl friend will change her story, and do it soon, sure he had a few drinks, but when the police got to him he wasn't driving, sooo, and the "fight" between his girl friend and her other male friend, may have been self defense, or just to kids rough-housing. I'm sure CJP will find spend time with him, do his own phycological review, and come up with a plan to rehab this player, they way only a coach/shrink is able to do, then he'll be ready to play for UT again! It's possible where this kid is from, a lot of "fights" take place, with this in mind, we shouldn't judge his actions! We should be happy his arrest video isn't national news! CJP will get this matter all cleared up in a week or so, don't worry.
Now, Now, just a moment, remember if a grown man (according to the law), 18+ years old (18-24) plays for UT, he is not a grown man anymore, he is just a kid. I have been reminded of this by a number of posters. When I bring up how old our military MEN are, it is quickly pointed out, if you join the military (or were drafted) you are instantly a man, but if you play for the VOLS you stay a kid...just remember that.
Even if it is true, as long as something$$ changes the minds of the "victims", this will go away, it will work out, don't worry.
This young kid (24 years old) told his girlfriend he was sorry, damn, what more do you people want? You want to ruin his life? Just because he knocked the crap out of some guy, and shoved his girl friend down a couple of times? I'm sure CJP will fix this-make it go away-and that'll be that.
One thing nobody is pointing out, it could be his girlfriend is a huge-beast of a woman, she may have started throwing some fists-maybe where she grew up, it was common for females to street fight.
Dang right-he'd have to do a lot more than this, maybe several times, before we should throw him off the team, geeeez, some guys just don't seem to care about winning, CJP has us on a roll- a NATY is just around the corner-coach can fix this thing.
The most important thing is Darel has already issued a very well written apology, and has stated he'll seek alcohol rehab, I'm sure this should be enough, if the girl friend ($$$) does not want to press any charges, and other man friend doesn't ($$$) press any charges-then CJP has this thing by the horns-let the good times roll.
How about, have him issue a written statement-you know the one (where he says how sorry he is-etc.) then have him state he needs alcohol rehab, finally get the other two to change their minds$$$-problem solved.
Darel is a good enough player-he doesn't need to do anything like that!!!
You're trying really hard on this one Chief. Is everything ok at home?

"KID" ? I am fed up with men 18-22 being called "kids" in order to smooth over their criminal activities. This guy is no kid.

Sorry you're fed up, this innerwebz thang can be tough sometimes.

I can't speak for anyone else, but they came straight from high school and are still playing the game and involved in a lot of the same activities they were in HS. They don't have and haven't had all of the responsibilities of an adult. Blah blah blah, mentally they're still kids and in my opinion its ridiculous to argue otherwise.

"KID" ? I am fed up with men 18-22 being called "kids" in order to smooth over their criminal activities. This guy is no kid.
Just because in the eyes of the law they're legally adults doesn't mean they mentally are, not nowadays. I and alot of posters here grew up in a different time where work came first and the stupid was whipped out of us before we were their age. By the time we were 16 or 17 we were adults mentally and physically. Most this day and age aren't like that they are still kids who were up on a pedestal in highschool and it just flows into college but it's not only the athletes, this generation is full of kids like this all over the place. It's a mixture of parents trying to be their friends and the lack of ass whoopins when they do wrong. I tell everyone it's like kids nowadays aren't at an adult level mentally until around 25 or older, that's why the voting age should be bumped up to 25. I think by then they should be able to make an adult decision while voting instead of following the coat tails of their parents or friends, they can make an opinion for themselves and decide where they stand on certain issues. It's just what I see and is only my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right and who doesn't agree is wrong. There is no magic switch that flips from 17 to 18 that makes them adults mentally but they have to know legally they are adults.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
He is a good player that many here want to defend, however, I have been drunk and mad never hit a woman or anyone else that was physically inferior. I totally agree with you on this one. I don't think Coach Pruitt will tolerate this behavior, or hope he won't.

Your personal experience doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else. For all you know, Darel might have medical conditional that compounds the effects of alcohol on his system. An undiagnosed brain disorder, a hormonal imbalance, or anything else. NO, I'm not defending his conduct. What I'm doing is to state those who compare their alcohol experience should speak for everyone else when in fact it doesn't. Some people like the Navajo, Cheyenne, and Apaches have a gene that predisposes them to alcoholism or so I was taught when I lived out west. They always knew about alcohol and its effects but used it only for ritualistic functions. That is until Euro-Americans introduced them to it as a recreational beverage. Then they developed conditions such as dental problems, liver problems, birth defects, and pancreatitis and increased violent behavior. Like most minority centered studies, the genetic basis was discovered but not followed up on, even to this day. Just an attitude of something is wrong with them. But again to the point, your personal experience is not indicative of anyone except yourself. However, I do know Darel better get this fixed or he's going to throw away a potentially great future. Even find himself disabled, jailed long term, or dead.

VN Store

Back