Tennessee definitely needs to take a page out of Georgia’s book when it comes to motivation

We have excellent coaches now finally but we need to get better along the line of scrimmage to be favored in that game. They were way better at those positions this year in my opinion. Hopefully we can get some help there in the offseason and close the gap! As for motivation, I think the entire season proved we were plenty motivated. Our team will be ready in November and our fans will provide the noise!

Last edited:
So is Kirby a good coach now? Or does he still have a lot to prove?
I will be the first to admit i was wrong about Kirby. He is not only a hell of a recruiter but also a great coach. Being in the East with him in a talent rich state like Georgia....sucks.

However, at this point i think CJH may be his equal and possible better with regard to developing players. We just need as many as possible to get drafted each year. That will bring the highly touted recruits. If he can transform 3 stars into NFL draftees it makes luring 4 and 5 stars to Knoxville much easier.

Reactions: Noni and Smokey19rt
No he doesn’t. They just went back to back with an undefeated season. Stop being ridiculous. He can coach.
The resistance to admit he's a good coach is mind boggling on here. Some just want to claim he's only good at recruiting. Some only at program building. All dumb arguments. His job is to win titles. Not turn around programs. Not be the best defensive mind. Not best whatever else.... it's to win titles. And he's done that.

No he doesn’t. They just went back to back with an undefeated season. Stop being ridiculous. He can coach.

Georgia when Kirby Smart took over: 9-4

Tennessee when Heupel took over: 4-8 (with the exception of the NCAA investigation hanging over the programs head)

Enough said

Reactions: Samthebam
Long way until we play Georgia again. Will have matchups with revenge-minded Florida and Alabama first.

Agreed. A lot of fish to fry before we meet Georgia again. The way that we feel about South Carolina right now…best believe Nicky and Bama feel the same way about Tennessee. We better be ready.

Needs to prove he can rebuild a program like Heupel

So taking UGA to heights no coach ever has, sent record number of first round picks to the NFL, fielded back to back historic defenses, losing 1 game in 2 years in the SEC and back to back NCs doesn’t make one a good coach?

So let me get this straight. Say Heupel is here for 10 years and he wins 2 NCs. Has a couple of undefeated seasons and sends a bunch of guys to the NFL as first and second rounders. Then another coach takes over and has similar success over the next 10 years. That would mean that coach isn’t any good right? Because he didn’t have to build anything? That’s your logic?

If CJH can get us there without having to tell the team to Destroy the G D Mother Truckers along with a host of other examples of a limited vocabulary, all while our Heisman deserving QB is writing Christian Children's book and leading prayer meetings I'll take our path.....

So taking UGA to heights no coach ever has, sent record number of first round picks to the NFL, fielded back to back historic defenses, losing 1 game in 2 years in the SEC and back to back NCs doesn’t make one a good coach?

So let me get this straight. Say Heupel is here for 10 years and he wins 2 NCs. Has a couple of undefeated seasons and sends a bunch of guys to the NFL as first and second rounders. Then another coach takes over and has similar success over the next 10 years. That would mean that coach isn’t any good right? Because he didn’t have to build anything? That’s your logic?
I thought it was more tongue in cheek.

Georgia when Kirby Smart took over: 9-4

Tennessee when Heupel took over: 4-8 (with the exception of the NCAA investigation hanging over the programs head)

Enough said

Not only that, but Richt was consistently recruiting at a very high level and underachieving with a ton of talent. Smart further improved the recruiting and made better use of the talent, but the program was in great shape when he took over.

Heupel stepped into a dumpster fire with 30 portal losses and a looming NCAA investigation with a program that had been deteriorating for 20 years. The fact that he won 11 games in year two is nothing short of miraculous, as most believed it was a 4-5 year job, if even possible at all, to revive this program.

Smart has done a great job of taking an already strong program over the top, but it really is apples and oranges to compare what he has done to what Heupel has achieved in two years at UT, with much work still left to do to stay among the CFB elite.

Reactions: Remy and Woke
Georgia was not terrible when Smart took over. He has now made them better than they've ever been before. Like it or not, thems the facts. Our coach will prove his mettle by building up a program that takes their asses down, and not until then.
It's not a comparison right now. You're looking at different schools in two different stages of development. We are still tryna win the East. Them folks just went back to back natty.

Smart has done a historically good job to even be in a position to three-peat. Pretending otherwise is totally ok if it makes you feel better. That won't beat them on the field, but have at it champ.
CJH has us in position to challenge for the East next year. That is a big step up for us. But we have not won anything yet.

VN Store

Back