Tennessee Basketball Press Conference

I think CRB did a poor job in communicating his thought process today. Piecing together everything here is what I think he was trying to communicate:

UCLA offers him the job. He then prays and asked God, “is this your will?”
He believes it is what God wanted, but is unsure. He then said, “God, if you want me to go to UCLA, then give me a sign. Let them offer to pay the buyout.”

UCLA does not offer to pay buyout, thus CRB sees it as a sign to stay at Tennessee.

Basicly, IMO he threw out a fleece to determine whether he should stay or go.

Bingo. This was my take

Now he shouldn't hAve said much of what he did but he is blunt to a fault

You don’t let it be known the main reason you’re back at a school is because a buyout wanted to be paid.

It seemed pretty obvious he wasn’t happy with something at Tennesssee
I don't know if he was or wasn't happy with TN. I do appreciate his honesty, just not sure that level of detail should have been given. Now before anyone says " he didn't owe you or anyone else and explanation" This is simply "MY" opinion. It also didn't go over well with some of the fan base as it's reflected on twitter. I guess we as a fan base have to start taking emotion out of it, and look at it as strictly a business deal. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking....I bet NO amount of money would have bought Pat Summitt. I guess some of us were hoping for that with Barnes. JMO

Last edited:
I don't know if he was or wasn't happy with TN. I do appreciate his honesty, just not sure that level of detail should have been given. Now before anyone says " he didn't owe you or anyone else and explanation" This is simply "MY" opinion. It also didn't go over well with some of the fan base as it's reflected on twitter. I guess we as a fan base have to start taking emotion out of it, and look at it as strictly a business deal. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking....I bet NO amount of money would have bought Pat Summitt. I guess some of us were hoping for that with Barnes. JMO
Pat Summitt was born, bred, and bled Tennessee orange though. Barnes has invested 4 years in Tennessee. He has no deep-rooted emotional attachment to it. A better comparison is Jeremy Pruitt, and even he likely has a slightly stronger attachment in that Tennessee gave him his first HC job. Tennessee is just #5 for Rick Barnes in a career that spans over 30 years.

Reactions: Lurker
Or he really was intrigued by the challenge and honor to coach at a school he held in high regard and he sought clarity in the situation asking that all roadblocks be removed as a clear sign of God’s will for him to take the job. When the roadblock of the buyout couldn’t be negotiated, he took that as a sign that he was where he was supposed to be.
God would never steer an innocent soul to California.

Reactions: JoAllan
I just think it's interesting how he says two different things. On one hand he spoke of faith and the next was about money.

"God told me I needed to stay at Tennessee. It's not just basketball. I love this university. I love this community. I love this state. I belong here."

In contrast to later saying that if the buyout figure was right, then he would have went.

He was saying that he was looking for a clear choice. God needed to open and shut doors to make the decision clear. If he was supposed to go to UCLA then everything would have lined up perfectly. Once the buyout hit a tough snag and Tennessee countered then the decision was clear.

I’ve asked God to show me the right path before and he slammed a door shut so hard it hurt. In the long run the picture became clear as to why it happened but I would’ve went down that road had he not stopped me.

Can’t fault the guy for thinking he was going. The money was going to be better. The school tradition made him look good. It feels good to be wanted after getting fired by Tex and then told that we settled for stability.

Reactions: davethevol
To add to the above. There will be a lot of debate on the comments but to me it’s a clear statement of testimony. “I was headed here but God shut the door so I could stay here”.

Reactions: davethevol

The time Pat Summitt considered becoming UK’s coach | Lexington Herald Leader

Reactions: Ace and cncchris33
Barnes' comments were tasteless at best. Clearly money is all that matters to this guy that can't break the sweet 16 with an elite squad. Pathetic.

Rick doesn’t need money. He was allured by UCLA, and the money came with it. But he wasn’t changing scenery and paying $2.4 million out of pocket.

He was saying that he was looking for a clear choice. God needed to open and shut doors to make the decision clear. If he was supposed to go to UCLA then everything would have lined up perfectly. Once the buyout hit a tough snag and Tennessee countered then the decision was clear.

I’ve asked God to show me the right path before and he slammed a door shut so hard it hurt. In the long run the picture became clear as to why it happened but I would’ve went down that road had he not stopped me.

Can’t fault the guy for thinking he was going. The money was going to be better. The school tradition made him look good. It feels good to be wanted after getting fired by Tex and then told that we settled for stability.

Yeah, I know. That was the first post I made when I woke up and started reading stuff from the media. Later started the thread with the video of the conference and my updated thoughts. About how I was reading snippets of info and didn't really understand the context of what was asked and what all was said. Or the order in which said.

Haha this is funny. No one has considered maybe he feels his sweet spot as a coach is no pun intended a sweet sixteen program builder. UCLA needs that and would be very easy to recruit to with their history and well have you been to Southern California??? Sure it’s expensive, but again have you been to Southern California? There’s a reason California is expensive. If they had matched his buyout, he would have been making just over half of what he is making at Tennessee after his raise. It wasn’t the money. Plus, he is facing the possibility of losing four starters.

Also, the good ole boy network controls this town and if you aren’t part of it, you may be accepted in, but you are not OGs and outsiders know it. Gotta start young and stick around. Just the way it is around here and I believe it hurts Knoxville a little bit. Would love some insight here if I am wrong!

God would never steer an innocent soul to California.

As someone who has lived in California for a decade, I can attest to this. California will welcome anyone -- and shake every last penny out of their pockets before sending them on their way. Especially San Francisco, where they'll give you twice as much to work there but then shake you twice as hard to make sure they get it all back.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
As someone who has lived in California for a decade, I can attest to this. California will welcome anyone -- and shake every last penny out of their pockets before sending them on their way. Especially San Francisco, where they'll give you twice as much to work there but then shake you twice as hard to make sure they get it all back.

Not as bad in SoCal. But getting there for sure.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He did say that now he will end his career at Tennessee. What else do you guys want?

They got their feels hurt because he was so blatantly honest. Kind of refreshing and by the way he knew John Wooden pretty well. I guess you could say it was his dream job, but he didn't take it.

I think CRB did a poor job in communicating his thought process today. Piecing together everything here is what I think he was trying to communicate:

UCLA offers him the job. He then prays and asked God, “is this your will?”
He believes it is what God wanted, but is unsure. He then said, “God, if you want me to go to UCLA, then give me a sign. Let them offer to pay the buyout.”

UCLA does not offer to pay buyout, thus CRB sees it as a sign to stay at Tennessee.

Basicly, IMO he threw out a fleece to determine whether he should stay or go.
If this had been a call to leave coaching and enter the mission field I might buy it. It ain’t. Bottom line is he didn’t want to pay the buyout HE negotiated into his contract. Fulmer basically got rooked by a guy with no agent.

He went to the place that wanted him the most.

Biblically he used "Don't throw your pearls before pigs, or else they will trample you."

He measured appreciation and went to the administration that appreciated him the most, was less like swine.

Then don’t say it in a press conference. Keep that **** to yourself.

He just said, to a school and fanbase that paid him double any other previous coach (not to mention the football coach), I am only here because of the money. Fooled me, I even said in a few posts it is never about the money with Barnes. Ruined the entire deal for me, would rather have a coach who wants to be here at a lesser salary.

Reactions: tnktm
Well he also said that he felt like he was going to UCLA, so put 2+2 together and it’s pretty obvious what he meant.

I’m shocked he said it in a press conference.
I think you completely missed the entire praying for guidance and a sign part of the conversation. He in a sense said he felt he received confirmation that he was in the place he was supposed to be in.

Reactions: JoAllan

VN Store

Back