Tennessee basketball history......

Reactions: ArdentVol
Hamilton finished behind Wade Houston as Don Devoe's replacement. Lamar Alexander was largely behind that decision. Blount County boys.

Dickey wanted to hire Hamilton but Alexander overruled and hired Houston. Probably cost Louisville a NC and certainly put Tennessee basketball 10 years behind.

This is awesome. I remember as a kid listening to John Ward in the post game show of the game before the LSU game when he said, “fans, be sure to come early for the freshman game Sat night vs LSU and their great player Pete Maravich. You won’t be disappointed.”

It was so Mears to get them to bring Pete to Knoxville as a freshman. The man was 20-30 years ahead of his time.

I think that's maybe to big to be Steve Ray so its probably Big Kevin Nash. And I'm not 100% sure Steve was on the 1980 team. Maybe...I just cant remember. That does invoke memories. Thanks for posting. Steve was notorious for drawing charges and John Ward LOVED to say after taking a charge "ladies and gentlemen that was Steve Ray in the Way". Funny we remember things like that but cant remember our kids birthdays.:):)
Kevin Nash.... Denise Conrad. My hero.

Reactions: cardvolfan
January 5, 1980......

The Kentucky Wildcats visited Stokley as the #2 ranked team in the country. Howard Wood scored 14 pts and grabbed 9 rebounds as the Vols slow played the ‘Cats in a 49-47 victory. The difference in the game was at the line....out scoring UK 15-1.
View attachment 251986[
Was there. Sit down Joe! What a game........

January 7, 2007.........

The #19 Vols hosted the Delk brothers and Mississippi State. Chris Lofton scored 21 pts and Duke Crews added 18, as the Vols defeated the Bulldogs 92-84.

View attachment 252366
Loftin was one of the best. I would say the best pure shooter outside the 3 for the Vols since I’ve been watching. It was fun watching him. Thanks Mr Chris Loftin. PS. Dothan AL

Last edited:
Sit down Joe! What a game and I was there with a couple of my fellow track stars. Good memories from Stokley. They should have kept it.

Reactions: peaygolf
I just saw the video of Gary Carter stealing the pass versus American and putting up the 30 footer for the one point win. 3 seconds left. Intercepted the inbounds pass, one dribble, and his shot from the hash mark rattled in. I haven’t seen that clip in about 35 years. I couldn’t find it on YouTube to post it though. Yet. Copies should be multiplying and start emerging soon.

Last edited:
I found a January 1969 game versus Pistol Pete on Larry Smith’s YouTube channel. No audio. Grainy video. Primitive, but fascinating. Most of Larry Smith’s videos are football but there are some great basketball videos sprinkled in.

Maybe this works:

Last edited:
I found a January 1969 game versus Pistol Pete on Larry Smith’s YouTube channel. No audio. Grainy video. Primitive, but fascinating. Most of Larry Smith’s videos are football but there are some great basketball videos sprinkled in.

Maybe this works:

Larry Smith still has his own private “museum” of Vol videos available to any Vol fan that wants to take a look. Still lives in Powell and has an array of trinkets available.

Reactions: The Dog

Maybe this works:

Maravich. About five minutes in, behind the back dribble gets him into a double team. So he simply launches it for two.

Wow the game has really changed. Looked like two teams from my rec league when we were around 40 years old.

Not today but anyone else remember watching this game?
This is when I started to hate Alabama in basketball just as much as in football
From February 28, 1976
F8ED03D3-86D7-4273-8181-652E5FD32467.jpeg668907DE-3097-49A9-B0F9-D016727E523F.jpeg

Not today but anyone else remember watching this game?
This is when I started to hate Alabama in basketball just as much as in football
From February 28, 1976
View attachment 357091View attachment 357092
I actually was at the game. Went to it and to the win in Tuscaloosa the next year. In the loss we were down 4 with 25 seconds left and Bama had the ball. King and Grunfeld had both fouled out. We fouled them twice and they missed the front end both times. After each miss Mike Jackson hit a jumper to send it to OT. We had them beat in the first OT. Bama missed the tying shot with a few seconds left and Austin Clark had boxed for great rebound position. Bama player shoved him in the back into the bleachers to steal the rebound for the put back. No call by the officials. Go figure.

I actually was at the game. Went to it and to the win in Tuscaloosa the next year. In the loss we were down 4 with 25 seconds left and Bama had the ball. King and Grunfeld had both fouled out. We fouled them twice and they missed the front end both times. After each miss Mike Jackson hit a jumper to send it to OT. We had them beat in the first OT. Bama missed the tying shot with a few seconds left and Austin Clark had boxed for great rebound position. Bama player shoved him in the back into the bleachers to steal the rebound for the put back. No call by the officials. Go figure.
You make it sound just as exciting as I remember it. So cool to hear your take on the game.

Reactions: AllVolinGA
You make it sound just as exciting as I remember it. So cool to hear your take on the game.
I have the “video” of that Austin Clark play burned into my memory. Was pretty mad about it for a while back then.

Alabama was a quality program under CM Newton back then. Players like Leon Douglas and TR Dunn were really good and showed great sportsmanship as well. I respected them a lot more than those guys in blue. Maybe also because I grew up in Huntsville and listened to their games in the radio when I was in high school.

Reactions: MAD
Larry Smith still has his own private “museum” of Vol videos available to any Vol fan that wants to take a look. Still lives in Powell and has an array of trinkets available.
That's a different Larry Smith than the one with the YouTube channel. The one with the YouTube channel goes by LWSVOL on here and on volquest. He resides in Lebanon TN if I'm not mistaken. Larry Smith from. Powell is a huge Tennessee fan though and may have a museum.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Finding stats and such were much harder than football, so it might just be fun to make this thread about the history of UT basketball....

Today in Sports History: December 15th

12-15-1973 TN beats Temple in basketball 11-6.
This had to be horrible to watch.

Guy called in on the radio this morning who attended and said Coach Mears was so mad that he got on the PA after the game and apologized to the fans who came. He then had the team scrimmage so fans could see basketball actually get played.

I was there. Like watching paint dry. Each UT FG or FT was greeted with the same enthusiasm you hear at a hockey game (or soccer, I guess) when a goal is scored. It was games like this and Dean Smith’s famous “four corners offense“ that resulted in the addition of the shot clock.

Reactions: Hurley Mooncalf

VN Store

Back