Tennessee basketball history......

1979-80 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Check out that schedule. 2 SEC games in December. St. John's, Ohio State, Indiana, Louisville.

Young Sam Bowie in the pic (NBA draft pick ahead of Michael Jordan). Howard Wood (far left), Gary Carter, and maybe Steve Ray. Fred Cowan (can't tell for sure if it's #40). Looks like Bertelkamp behind Carter. Steve Ray could also be Big Sexy, the feather haircut matches, but I think that's Ray's face.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ukathletics.com/documents/2017/8/10/56269d62e4b0b90189290248.pdf

BTW, ^^^ FSU HC Leonard Hamilton, Chris Gettlefinger (Catholic HS '77), Derrick Hord (TN High-Bristol '79).
I think that was Dan Federman?

Last edited:
March 5, 1977. Stokely Athletic Center. Tennessee 81, Kentucky 79. Ernie and Bernie beat the Twin Towers, Robey and Phillips. Tons of media there. Tennessee and Kentucky tied for the conference at 16-2 but Tennessee got the auto NCAA bid by beating UK twice that year. So much fun to be at the game as a student. Had to camp out overnight in 4 degree weather to get two student tickets. Still my favorite single sporting event I've attended. Place was electric.

This is all I could find online. Check out Bernard King's stat line. He and Grunfeld never came out of the game.
Kentucky at Tennessee (March 5, 1977)

March 5, 1977. Stokely Athletic Center. Tennessee 81, Kentucky 79. Ernie and Bernie beat the Twin Towers, Robey and Phillips. Tons of media there. Tennessee and Kentucky tied for the conference at 16-2 but Tennessee got the auto NCAA bid by beating UK twice that year. So much fun to be at the game as a student. Had to camp out overnight in 4 degree weather to get two student tickets. Still my favorite single sporting event I've attended. Place was electric.

This is all I could find online. Check out Bernard King's stat line. He and Grunfeld never came out of the game.

Kentucky has excellent records of their history. But I'm not sure about the middle pic saying it's Bernard and Mike Jackson. I think it's Chuck Threeths and Bernard, but I'm not certain. Possibly Reggie, but I'm guessing Threeths.

1976-77 Tennessee Volunteers Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Clicking on Bernard King's name shows that he only lost his first game against them.

Reactions: wmcovol
Clicking on Bernard King's name shows that he only lost his first game against them.

Bernard lost his first game at Kentucky. A KY fan flipped a lit cigarette into Bernard's Afro at that game. Afterwards Bernard said that he would never lose to Kentucky again. He was correct. Bernard King is a legend. 3x SEC Player if the Year. Only Pistol Pete can also say that. Bernard did it as a freshman, sophomore, and junior. He went to the NBA instead of playing his senior year. Maravich won POY as a sophomore, junior, and senior. Freshmen were not eligible for varsity during Pistol's freshman year. I think that LSU's freshman team with Maravich drew a higher attendance that year than the varsity.

Ray and Nash were there in 79-80.
as was a frosh.Dale Ellis.

(please forgive me for getting a little off topic, but I think I know you. We are / were in the same industry. I lived in Franklin for a year working at the Tennessee section office, then moved to Palm Beach Gardens in ‘91 to work for PGA HQ. I should have known what you did for a living with that swing...) ☺️

Thanks for all the UT memories you provide us with.

(please forgive me for getting a little off topic, but I think I know you. We are / were in the same industry. I lived in Franklin for a year working at the Tennessee section office, then moved to Palm Beach Gardens in ‘91 to work for PGA HQ. I should have known what you did for a living with that swing...) ☺️

@Evergrenevol

I'm pretty sure we do know each other. I'm still in the business at a private club in Nashville

I bet I know you both as my family has been heavily involved in Tennessee Golf since the 70’s. And my father played golf at APSU long ago.

Fun to see this link,
followed the game either on radio or TV in Carolina, but can't recall why I wasnt working if it was a saturday.
Surprising result considering Ernie's stats. Reggie had a nice line

Today in Sports History: December 15th

12-15-1973 TN beats Temple in basketball 11-6.
This had to be horrible to watch.

Guy called in on the radio this morning who attended and said Coach Mears was so mad that he got on the PA after the game and apologized to the fans who came. He then had the team scrimmage so fans could see basketball actually get played.

Guy called in on the radio this morning who attended and said Coach Mears was so mad that he got on the PA after the game and apologized to the fans who came. He then had the team scrimmage so fans could see basketball actually get played.

The scrimmage was pretty boring. The game actually wasn’t too bad as the clock kept moving without the shot clock. Each half went really quickly.

I was there as a student, my Freshman year. IIRC, we had some key players suspended for that game and still won in the end. I believe Howard Wood hit the winning basket under the goal with seconds left in the game.
Yes he did. We made to the 2nd round of the tournament that year, and got beat by Ralph Sampson's UVA Cavs.

A couple weeks late with this, but Ron Widby's death reminded me that on December 18, 1965 he played in the Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston, and John Ward called the game. They then got on a plane and went to Shreveport where the basketball team played that night in the Gulf Coast Classic tournament. Fortunately punting did not tire him out.

Sit, Joe, sit!

I can't find a reference point from that pic. It looks like it might be taken from the bench side, TN end looking toward the NE. But the crow's nest that John Ward called games from isn't visible to the right.

I used to climb up and watch from the opposite corner "ledge" that's barely visible, and out of focus, right in the middle of the pic. Stokely was magical. 1980... early part of KY's Stokely Curse years.

Absolutely! My senior year, tickets were hard to come by but I always found a way into the gym, one way or another.

I was at that game . As a kid, I kept asking my Dad why are they stalling . Temple played 4 corners offense the entire game, was their only chance to try and win. Fans were booing, it was wild, especially as a little kid.

VN Store

Back