Tennessee Baseball Commitments 2024, 2025, 2026 and beyond

Here’s another example of the rub with two sport athletes: full ride with the football scholarship, or around a 25% ride with a baseball scholarship. Of course they might be eligible for other types of academic or need based scholarships, but if it doesn’t get close to 100%, that might be a hard decision for the family to make.

Here’s another example of the rub with two sport athletes: full ride with the football scholarship, or around a 25% ride with a baseball scholarship. Of course they might be eligible for other types of academic or need based scholarships, but if it doesn’t get close to 100%, that might be a hard decision for the family to make.
Thanks for that tidbit of information, this recruiting business is like a chess match.

I find it so interesting. All of the commits...so happy now and they want to play and they're absolutely loving UT & Coach V. But then reality sets in....

There needs to be an opening or they need to "out-stud" the stud that has the position. When that doesn't work out (for the majority), it becomes tough mentally. They become disillusioned, faced with waiting their turn (3rd base Trey Lipscomb), hit up a JUCO (SS - Angus Pence), hit the transfer portal (Grant Cherry), de-commit then re-commit elsewhere, satisfied riding the bench and happy just being on the team, or simply hang up the cleats .

It's a tough road. I wish 'em all luck.

That is the cost of wanting to play in the SEC, much less one of the top teams in the nation. We knew when Kirby committed that there was a chance he would not find the playing time he needed and if it was not for the mentality of Coach A and Coach V of wanting results rather than just numbers he might not have got that chance along with guys like REdmond and Sewell. Any player that commits to an SEC team better have a plan B. Because it can change from year to year. You either have to be willing to fight for your position or move on. That is the bad part of being a top team is there is always a fight for positions. This fall will be incredible to watch with all the talent fighting for the 8 positions in the field and mound time.

That is the cost of wanting to play in the SEC, much less one of the top teams in the nation. We knew when Kirby committed that there was a chance he would not find the playing time he needed and if it was not for the mentality of Coach A and Coach V of wanting results rather than just numbers he might not have got that chance along with guys like REdmond and Sewell. Any player that commits to an SEC team better have a plan B. Because it can change from year to year. You either have to be willing to fight for your position or move on. That is the bad part of being a top team is there is always a fight for positions. This fall will be incredible to watch with all the talent fighting for the 8 positions in the field and mound time.

Well said. SEC baseball…It’s definitely not for the faint of heart. 👍🍊😀👊. Makes me truly admire and respect the guys who stick it out and put in the hard work and time like Trey Lipscomb and Christian Scott. True VFLs who put their team first! I hope Scott has an awesome 2023.

Last edited:
Any player drafted in the top ten rounds is gone to the MLB.

Not true. Chase Burns would have been drafted in the Top 10 Rounds, but we convinced him to come to Tennessee. I would argue that 95% of high school players drafted in the first round will go, because you are the best of the best and the money won't change much. But, programs like Arkansas and Vandy and LSU for years have made their programs by keeping those Round 2-5 guys in the program and convincing them college was the best route for them. Tennessee will have to do the same to consistently be the elite program we know we can be.

Not true. Chase Burns would have been drafted in the Top 10 Rounds, but we convinced him to come to Tennessee. I would argue that 95% of high school players drafted in the first round will go, because you are the best of the best and the money won't change much. But, programs like Arkansas and Vandy and LSU for years have made their programs by keeping those Round 2-5 guys in the program and convincing them college was the best route for them. Tennessee will have to do the same to consistently be the elite program we know we can be.
I was meaning that if they are selected and actually drafted, it’s rare to get them on campus.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Thanks vol66. Vitello never stops recruiting. I‘m not being cute, but I wonder if he’s the only single sans kids head coach in the SEC. Being on the road and away from the wife and kids so much has to be really tough on a family. I can’t imagine the hours that these coaches put in.

Yer welcome. Projecting this far out has gotta be difficult but I will say this…the metric from PG and committed players, is average rank.

In the CDS era I believe we were around 5 or 6, even if we had a top 15 class. The 2025 class is in the high 9’s…top 100 players is better too. Sure the battle to get them to campus will be the struggle, but it’s amazing to me what the staff has done on the trail, how early they are getting on these guys.

GBO!!!

Last edited:
I find it so interesting. All of the commits...so happy now and they want to play and they're absolutely loving UT & Coach V. But then reality sets in....

There needs to be an opening or they need to "out-stud" the stud that has the position. When that doesn't work out (for the majority), it becomes tough mentally. They become disillusioned, faced with waiting their turn (3rd base Trey Lipscomb), hit up a JUCO (SS - Angus Pence), hit the transfer portal (Grant Cherry), de-commit then re-commit elsewhere, satisfied riding the bench and happy just being on the team, or simply hang up the cleats .

It's a tough road. I wish 'em all luck.
Gotta say it sounds like you're describing Bama or UGA in football. The fact that we're talkin' UT baseball pleases me no end. Good....no...GREAT problem to have.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Dean Curley, Northview, Junior

Northview’s Dean Curley helped lead his team to the Valle Vista League title and a 19-6 overall record. The USC commit, who plays shortstop and pitches, showed he is a special talent. In addition to being arguably the area’s best defensive player at his position, Curley was also outstanding offensively, batting .435 with 10 doubles, 17 RBIs, 25 runs scored and a home run. He showed his speed with 13 stolen bases. His dual-threat ability helped the Vikings be so successful. He was often used as a relief pitcher, brought in to close big games with a fastball that touched 90 mph. He finished with seven saves and a 1.33 ERA. Curley was named the Valle Vista League MVP, was an All-CIF Division 2 first-team selection and is the San Gabriel Valley Tribune player of the year.
San Gabriel Valley Tribune 2022 All-Area baseball team: Northview’s Dean Curley did it all – San Gabriel Valley Tribune

VN Store

Back