Tennessee a Tier 3 job

CFF was one of the first to jet cross-country for talent. He had no other choice and this concept may have been the underlying reason Johnnie got kicked to the curb, He didn't see the national scope of recruiting.

Majors had no problem recruiting nationally. He brought in players from the West Coast, NE, FL, you name it.

Last edited:
TIER 3: Arizona State, Baylor, Iowa, Louisville, Miami, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, UCLA, Utah, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin

Well this is just stupid. No coach in America thinks Arizona State is as good of a job as Tennessee. Look at the type of recruits UT gets on campus versus the type of recruits Az State gets and it's not even the same league.

The whole list is bad. Alabama and Tennessee are pretty much identical except one has had Nick Saban for the past 13 years and the other hasn't. Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Penn State are the schools on that list we're most similar to. All of those schools have top-tier facilities, great tradition, can pay top money, and have a good recruiting base (but not elite recruiting base like LSU, USC, Miami, and Georgia).

Schools like Arizona State, Iowa, Louisville, Mich State, OK State, Standford, Utah, and even Va Tech just aren't in the same ballpark as us on a lot of these categories.

Miami, UCLA, and Nebraska are the only other ones in their "Tier 3" that might be close to us. Miami has a better recruiting base, but much worse facilities and fan support. UCLA has good recruiting base, but weak on other attributes. Nebraska has strong fan support and tradition, but terrible recruiting base.

The following is the list of schools who have won a national title since 1961. I couldn't list Georgia Tech from 1990 and keep a straight face and had to puke when I listed BYU from 1984. But, I'd say, take this list and subtract Nebraska (debatable). Washington (debatable), Colorado, BYU, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, and Arkansas and add UCLA, Texas A&M and you'd have your Tier 1 list of schools.

• LSU
  • Clemson
  • Alabama
  • Ohio State
  • Florida State
  • Auburn
  • Florida
  • Texas
  • USC
  • Miami, FL
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Nebraska
  • Michigan
  • Washington
  • Colorado
  • Notre Dame
  • Penn State
  • BYU
  • Georgia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Michigan State
  • Arkansas

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumbledorange
The following is the list of schools who have won a national title since 1961. I couldn't list Georgia Tech from 1990 and keep a straight face and had to puke when I listed BYU from 1984. But, I'd say, take this list and subtract Nebraska (debatable). Washington (debatable), Colorado, BYU, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, and Arkansas and add UCLA, Texas A&M and you'd have your Tier 1 list of schools.

• LSU
  • Clemson
  • Alahama
  • Ohio State
  • Florida State
  • Auburn
  • Florida
  • Texas
  • USC
  • Miami, FL
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Nebraska
  • Michigan
  • Washington
  • Colorado
  • Notre Dame
  • Penn State
  • BYU
  • Georgia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Michigan State
  • Arkansas

Seems about right. I do think Nebraska has a few more years before they sink into Minnesota status, but they need to start coming back. A storied program, and the 1995 team is still the best overall team I’ve ever seen, but their disadvantages in recruiting and conference mismatch makes it a real danger they are going to disappear as a relevant program.

We almost did, and may still, but our location is much better and we aren’t shifting into the ACC or some other conference mismatch.

Seems about right. I do think Nebraska has a few more years before they sink into Minnesota status, but they need to start coming back. A storied program, and the 1995 team is still the best overall team I’ve ever seen, but their disadvantages in recruiting and conference mismatch makes it a real danger they are going to disappear as a relevant program.

We almost did, and may still, but our location is much better and we aren’t shifting into the ACC or some other conference mismatch.

my guess, is that their success was built on winning. And they recruited well because they won. But, I believe they won because all they had to do was play Oklahoma.

Now, winning the league means battling other schools with a pulse. And there‘s a huge difference between Iowa and Wisconsin (who arent Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn state) and 1970’s Iowa State or Kansas.

We speak here about schedule fatigue. That, yeah, South Carolina isn’t great but play them on the road after playing LSU and Georgia back to back and see how fun it is.

there was no schedule fatigue in the old Big 8

my guess, is that their success was built on winning. And they recruited well because they won. But, I believe they won because all they had to do was play Oklahoma.

Now, winning the league means battling other schools with a pulse. And there‘s a huge difference between Iowa and Wisconsin (who arent Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn state) and 1970’s Iowa State or Kansas.

We speak here about schedule fatigue. That, yeah, South Carolina isn’t great but play them on the road after playing LSU and Georgia back to back and see how fun it is.

Good points, and part of my conference mismatch point. The other part of that is that Nebraska simply has no traditional rivals in the Big (insert number of teams here). While most were cupcakes during NUs run, the other Big (insert number of teams here) at least had OU and other traditional rivals.

Frost has his work cut out. Probably harder than what Pruitt has to do in many ways.

They were the first to incorporate what was then considered the advanced use of Russian, protocol-driven strength and power training. From whom they also learned to use anabolics in a judicious way. lol

Reactions: kcvols1
They were the first to incorporate what was then considered the advanced use of Russian, protocol-driven strength and power training. From whom they also learned to use anabolics in a judicious way. lol

The beating we took in 1997 inspired Wilson and the other guys to hit the gym like they had never done before, and led to our 1998 team being about the most physical Tennessee team ever. Indirectly, we owe some of that 1998 NC to NU.

I agree but in fairness Michigan and Ohio St were the Big 2 plus 8 for 80 years

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
The beating we took in 1997 inspired Wilson and the other guys to hit the gym like they had never done before, and led to our 1998 team being about the most physical Tennessee team ever. Indirectly, we owe some of that 1998 NC to NU.
They were more than physical. They were VIOLENT.

I was too young too remember that year, but I've watched all the games on YouTube and they should be in jail for what they did to quarterbacks.

Why anybody thought Florida State had a chance with that QB they had is ridiculous. The Tennessee hate has always been unreal. I hate seeing FSU people being so certain that Weinke would have won that game. It would be hard for them to win that game with his face in the dirt.

McNabb was the only guy that could do anything and that's probably because it was early in the year.

I’ve had “tears“ watching Tennessee Football fail for the last 20 years...

Reactions: njvols
Pruitt in the "average" tier. No Jimbo Fisher in the elite tier despite a natty?
SEC coaching tiers -

Malzahn, Fisher and Smart deserve to be in Tier 1.

Fisher has a national title. Smart has an SEC title in the era of Saban.

Malzahn has an SEC title in the era as well. But, the main argument in his favor is that he's beaten Nick Saban 3 times.

Considering that Saban has lost 16 conference games total at Alabama and 4 of those losses came to a team with a Heisman trophy winner at QB (Tebow, Newton, Manziel, Burrow) and 4 other losses came in his first season at Alabama, Malzahn beating Alabama 3 times should be given a certain level of respect.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I won’t even bother clicking the link since it’s clearly just clickbait garbage and refuse to give them the stats to get more ad money.

This list as shown in this post is clearly just personal ranking and instead of calling it that they claimed it was how the coaching job is viewed. You take away or add coaches to some of those teams and their ranking makes no sense.

This is why journalism is a dying media. The writers opinion matters far more than facts these days and it’s not just sports either. Look at news or entertainment, it’s all just what’s hot today or a hot button issue and what will get looks and clicks and facts be damned.

Back on topic how does the author not have Notre Dame as a tier 3 job based on their criteria? When was the last time ND had a LEGITIMATE shot at winning a title. They are the perfect definition of a tier 3. I live is South Bend, IN it’s a dump that has no draw. The recruiting is limited by their academic standards. The budget for sports is getting smaller as the start reprioritiZing education. And finally their ceiling is legitimately as spot in the playoff with never being a real threat to win it all.

I won’t even bother clicking the link since it’s clearly just clickbait garbage and refuse to give them the stats to get more ad money.

This list as shown in this post is clearly just personal ranking and instead of calling it that they claimed it was how the coaching job is viewed. You take away or add coaches to some of those teams and their ranking makes no sense.

This is why journalism is a dying media. The writers opinion matters far more than facts these days and it’s not just sports either. Look at news or entertainment, it’s all just what’s hot today or a hot button issue and what will get looks and clicks and facts be damned.

Back on topic how does the author not have Notre Dame as a tier 3 job based on their criteria? When was the last time ND had a LEGITIMATE shot at winning a title. They are the perfect definition of a tier 3. I live is South Bend, IN it’s a dump that has no draw. The recruiting is limited by their academic standards. The budget for sports is getting smaller as the start reprioritiZing education. And finally their ceiling is legitimately as spot in the playoff with never being a real threat to win it all.
Notre Dame played Alabama in 2013 national championship game. I agree they are a tier 3 school, but so is Tennessee. Out of all the "major" CFB programs, only Tennessee and Nebraska haven't been relevant in close to a generation. That alone makes Tennessee a tier 3 program.

Notre Dame played Alabama in 2013 national championship game. I agree they are a tier 3 school, but so is Tennessee. Out of all the "major" CFB programs, only Tennessee and Nebraska haven't been relevant in close to a generation. That alone makes Tennessee a tier 3 program.
A generation? We’ve been ranked in the top ten at some point 9 times since 2000. Not our usual standards but hardly a generation.

Well this is just stupid. No coach in America thinks Arizona State is as good of a job as Tennessee. Look at the type of recruits UT gets on campus versus the type of recruits Az State gets and it's not even the same league.

The whole list is bad. Alabama and Tennessee are pretty much identical except one has had Nick Saban for the past 13 years and the other hasn't. Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Penn State are the schools on that list we're most similar to. All of those schools have top-tier facilities, great tradition, can pay top money, and have a good recruiting base (but not elite recruiting base like LSU, USC, Miami, and Georgia).

Schools like Arizona State, Iowa, Louisville, Mich State, OK State, Standford, Utah, and even Va Tech just aren't in the same ballpark as us on a lot of these categories.

Miami, UCLA, and Nebraska are the only other ones in their "Tier 3" that might be close to us. Miami has a better recruiting base, but much worse facilities and fan support. UCLA has good recruiting base, but weak on other attributes. Nebraska has strong fan support and tradition, but terrible recruiting base.
The only "real" programs in Tier 3 are Tennesssee, Nebraska, UCLA and Miami. Everyone else shouldn't even be mentioned

A generation? We’ve been ranked in the top ten at some point 9 times since 2000. Not our usual standards but hardly a generation.
Last SECCG appearance was over a decade ago. That hurts big time.

• LSU
  • Clemson
  • Alabama
  • Ohio State
  • Florida State
  • Auburn
  • Florida
  • Texas
  • USC
  • Miami, FL
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Nebraska
  • Michigan
  • Washington
  • Colorado
  • Notre Dame
  • Penn State
  • BYU
  • Georgia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Michigan State
  • Arkansas
Nebraska isn't debatable IMO. Scratch off everyone else and I pretty much agree. UCLA and A&M would be Tier 2 (along with MAYBE Colorado and Washington)

VN Store

Back