Tennessee 26th in Coaching Salaries

We

CJP’s salary is 8th in the SEC. Seems a little high based upon where we finished. If CJP performs well, then his salary will increase. For a first-year Head Coach, I think his pay is pretty high. If you look at the list above him, there aren’t that many coaches who were first time Head Coaches at their current school (Gary Patterson, Lincoln Riley, Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney, and maybe a couple more). I think CJP is the highest paid first year HC on the list.

Will Muschamp made $3.1 million last year at SC, which is less than what CJP made this year. Muschamp got a $1.1 mil raise this year.

Mark Stoops’ 2017 salary was slightly less than CJP’s 2018 salary. Stoops doubled his salary over the past five years as his team has significantly improved.
Agreed, but my point is if that is what we are paying we should have a hard time expecting much more than what we get and that is bottom of SEC performance two years in a row.

Lol tell that to FSU, Nebraska, Illinois, Louisville (just fired Petrino), Iowa, VT, South Carolina, none of them are killing it with higher paid guys.

Please point to ONE guy higher paid that has FEWER cfb wins than Pruitt. Ahh, zero! He's a brand new HC. No need to throw money at an unknown. And this doesn't even account for assistants. It was stated again and again that we shelled out for a strong staff with great recruiting ties.

Very simply, no HC candidate said yes to us (minus Schiano, not sure about Brohm and The Pirate) that would have been costlier. We ended where we did, and it wasn't because we weren't willing to pay. Crazy numbers were coming out about what we were willing to pay Gundy, for instance.

Just paying someone doesn't make them better. The coach proves their worth, THEN they'll get paid. Couldn't stand it when people whined Helton should call better games because he got paid 1.2m. Helloo!! Money doesn't make anyone better! That is idiotic.
We had a shot at a lot of proven coaches.

Comparing a first year HC and Staff to one of an experienced HC and Staff is silly. Gripe all you want, there is absolutely NOTHING to see here.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Comparing a first year HC and Staff to one of an experienced HC and Staff is silly. Gripe all you want, there is absolutely NOTHING to see here.
Point is we shouldn’t be making first year head coaching hires and should be paying for proven coaches. We had a shot at a lot of them.

Reactions: GoBears
Meaningless. UT was prepared to pay Mullen, Patterson and Gundy big time money. They didn’t fail to get a good coach because of what they were willing to pay.

The pay difference in 15 through 30 is chump change anyway.
Actually, from what I read about Curry’s search, he was angling at Schiano the entire time and didn’t even talk to these people with exception to Gruden who was never interested and they never talked money.

Make a list of all the proven head coaches that Tennessee could get or what your fantasy hires would be. Soon you will see that no big name is jumping ship to come here. That was proven in 2008. At the time, they all told Hamilton the same thing Stoops told them. "If Phil can't make you happy then neither can I".

We are all set at coaching. Just need to get some players. That is the key. Had Belichek been named head coach and Saban DC and whoever OC, they would have been 5-7. All about the players.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Of course we pay Pruitt less than Carolina pays Muschamp or Kentucky pays Stoops
Let me fix this for you, Carolina fired Fedora... USCjr Pays Muschamp.
Can someone with lots of free time today do some analysis on total coaching compensation UT has paid out in the last 10-11 years. We are paying head coaches and coordinators not to coach while paying their replacements. I guess I equate it to advice my grandparents gave me basically buy the best quality / longevity you can afford and it will usually come out ahead over buying cheap and having to replace it all the time.

Why is this relevant? If we were ranked higher, say in that top 10, you’d be complaining about only winning 5 games with a staff getting paid like they were one of the 10 best staffs in the country.
It is relevant because it reflects that we had coaches across the nation we could have vetted and Curry did not. Now you have Mullen and Jimbo making great strides. I am all behind Pruitt, but if he is successful we will end up paying him what we would have to pay him more and if not, wall then we overpaid. Not very hard to figure out bro.

26th is actually pretty good considering Pruitt is a first time HC. Everyone ahead of him have been HCs for at least 3 years. Smart was hired in a little less than what Pruitt is making now. His big jump in salary was a raise from his recent success.

It is relevant because it reflects that we had coaches across the nation we could have vetted and Curry did not. Now you have Mullen and Jimbo making great strides. I am all behind Pruitt, but if he is successful we will end up paying him what we would have to pay him more and if not, wall then we overpaid. Not very hard to figure out bro.
Take another shot at it, cause that didn’t sell on why it’s remotely relevant, bruh.

Last edited:
Agreed, but my point is if that is what we are paying we should have a hard time expecting much more than what we get and that is bottom of SEC performance two years in a row.

I don’t disagree with you. We are all hoping that large raises will come to CJP, which would indicate significant success has been made. If not, maybe our next hire will be an experienced head coach.

Make a list of all the proven head coaches that Tennessee could get or what your fantasy hires would be. Soon you will see that no big name is jumping ship to come here. That was proven in 2008. At the time, they all told Hamilton the same thing Stoops told them. "If Phil can't make you happy then neither can I".

We are all set at coaching. Just need to get some players. That is the key. Had Belichek been named head coach and Saban DC and whoever OC, they would have been 5-7. All about the players.

C'mon now, hyperbole and exaggeration are fine to make a point, but let's not graduate to ridiculous; I saw plenty of rookie coach blunders during this season that have nothing to do with recruiting... hell, saw a perfect example Saturday by NotSo and he's not even a rookie.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with you. We are all hoping that large raises will come to CJP, which would indicate significant success has been made. If not, maybe our next hire will be an experienced head coach.
I certainly want him to succeed. I supported Butch and still do more than most and I support Pruitt. I am on wait and see with him and I am sure the guy would agree that is fair for anyone. This really is more of an argument that should be made around the time of hire. I will concede that, but in my defense I did just come across that information.

26th is actually pretty good considering Pruitt is a first time HC. Everyone ahead of him have been HCs for at least 3 years. Smart was hired in a little less than what Pruitt is making now. His big jump in salary was a raise from his recent success.
Good info on smart. It’s just hard to see Jumbo go to A&M and Mullen to Florida and watch us get a guy with a staff st guys who have not proven they can handle the level they are coaching at in the SEC. We are the only school out of many who did that and yet we are paying them as if they had already done it. Good for them, and time will tell if good for us.

VN Store

Back