Tennessee 24-7

TN D will be exposed this coming week. They finally face a team with a Top 15 O and D that isn't missing players to injury & isnt on neutral court. Will the team that almost got beat by a horrible Vandy team show-up? If it does, no one will consider this team sweet 16 material any longer. Sorry folks i'm no sunshine pumper, I call it like it is.
So, we go from #1 team in the country to not even Sweet 16 material based on one game? Interesting conclusion.

The Vols have improved in the fact that at the beginning of the season he tried to set everyone else up for their shot and he wasn't taking what was there for him. He is now.
I can say the same for Bowden. Wonderful improvement
Turner can get hot any game.
Williams a force underneath.

But we are entering the part of our schedule that is going to tell us where we should be ranked.
We are weak in rebounding and have been giving up easy baskets for many games now.
Its difficult to guard the 3 with the style defense we play. We lose our men for easy shots too often.
Petty of Alabama showed up one of our weaknesses with his quickness and penetration to the basket.

So far our offense has been enough to pull it out but we are getting ready to play some teams that can make us pay.
I think if you look at the Ky's, North Carolinas, Dukes, Michigan's ect and see Tennessee at this point as good as them then you see differently than I do
I think every analyst in the country thinks differently than you do.

Barnes and the team are taking the correct approach by just taking it one game at a time. USCe is the next game. Don't look ahead to Kentucky til that one is over. That is an improving team at 7-3, 4th best in a good conference. UK and LSU play on Tues and one will absorb their 2nd loss. Our current task is to remain unbeaten when we head to Lexington next Sat. night.

I think maybe the OP is simply being overly cautious as the toughest part of the schedule awaits. The thing is this team has improved from the tough games against Kansas and Gonzaga early on. Bone has developed into a court leader, Bowden has grown in confidence, and Turner has not only returned from injury, but his FG pct has gone to another level. And he is probably discounting this team's ability to reach a higher level of play down the stretch when we hit the toughest part of the schedule. Op, I think you are going overboard in your caution when saying this team will get blown out by halftime or lose 6 of 8 sec games remaining. I think we have seen this team enough to know they will not get rattled when falling behind or losing a couple of close games.

The better outlook to take is to anticipate the excitement this next stretch of games brings to our table. It's a time to break out of any complacency you might be worried over. Not to mention the confidence and experience gained heading into the NCAAs. The home and home w/Kentucky, the road games at LSU, OM, and Aub will be epic. It's daunting, but it's the chance to see this team to exceed expectations yet again.

Great post....I think I expressed my displeasure with Tennessee's recent play and was saying that if they continue this type play they can be 24-7 by March 9. Teams pick up some bad habits along the way and I think you see coach Barnes tearing into them at times in order to prevent bad habits from affecting the whole team. If the team has been playing down to its competition then they better get their motors rev'd up. The teams we are going to face are teams that unlike those in the conference we have played so far but these teams have the fire power to pull away when the Vols get lackadaisical or have to sub for their starters. As we know every game has its ebbs and flows but the upcoming teams on our schedule has the abililty to pull away during our lulls.

TN D will be exposed this coming week. They finally face a team with a Top 15 O and D that isn't missing players to injury & isnt on neutral court. Will the team that almost got beat by a horrible Vandy team show-up? If it does, no one will consider this team sweet 16 material any longer. Sorry folks i'm no sunshine pumper, I call it like it is.
If you think it's possible, then sure. It's basketball. Anything can happen. But when you and awaitingaloss come in here acting like we're not the best team in the country just because we're "only" winning by 10+ points, the only thing getting exposed here is your lack of basketball IQ.

All teams, even the best, have off nights. I just credit this team for finding ways to win on their off nights rather than losing like Duke/Syracuse, Michigan/Iowa, Kentucky/Seton Hall, MSU/Illinois. Our ability to consistently comfortably win games is only matched by Gonzaga who, oh yeah, we beat on a heavily pro-Zags court. This team may not finish 30-1, but to act like we're ready to get wrecked by the rest of our schedule is beyond ludicrous.

Also, if the team that almost got beat by Vandy shows up, we'll still win as long as the UK team that got by Seton Hall and Alabama and Duke by 40 shows up...

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
By March 9th....they have looked bad @ home for the most part and looked worse the last 2 or three games at home.
Teams have been gunning for the Vols but the teams Tennessee is getting ready to play have much much better Athletes and records.
Tennessee will not be able to turn it on and off against the teams beginning next Saturday.
Tennessee's weaknesses are not just on the boards.
Tennessee is out of position many times on the D when they pressure the opposing teams PG's to keep them beyond the Arc and Tennessee may have to resort to a 2-3 zone.
You come out cold against KY, LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss, Auburn the game may be over by half time.
Tennessee being #1 in the nation gives the above mentioned teams, who are very good teams already, even more energy and especially at home.
The teams we are about to start playing have the ability to run the score up on the Vols and go over them.
Tennessee better get more than rebounding fixed.
Teams we should have upped our game against and never looked back becomes close games so we think we can just turn on the burners and win.
Tennessee is going to need to have Bowden, Turner, Bone and the Admiral on fire in order not to be 24-7 by Tourney time
With our play lately it amazes me we only have 1 loss and its great for the school and fans buttttttttttttttttttttt..............................
Get ready for our 2nd loss and more following that and then we will see where we really belong by seasons end. Wake up time !
That’s the spirit.

Tennessee will end the regular season 28-3 and hopefully playing their best going into tournament time. awaitingawin is a very sad Vols fan (if he is actually Vols fan)

If you think it's possible, then sure. It's basketball. Anything can happen. But when you and awaitingaloss come in here acting like we're not the best team in the country just because we're "only" winning by 10+ points, the only thing getting exposed here is your lack of basketball IQ.

All teams, even the best, have off nights. I just credit this team for finding ways to win on their off nights rather than losing like Duke/Syracuse, Michigan/Iowa, Kentucky/Seton Hall, MSU/Illinois. Our ability to consistently comfortably win games is only matched by Gonzaga who, oh yeah, we beat on a heavily pro-Zags court. This team may not finish 30-1, but to act like we're ready to get wrecked by the rest of our schedule is beyond ludicrous.

Also, if the team that almost got beat by Vandy shows up, we'll still win as long as the UK team that got by Seton Hall and Alabama and Duke by 40 shows up...

Buddy, right now the Vols are not the #1 team in the nation. They are there because they have not lost since Thanksgiving and not because they have looked like a #1 team. They have looked like anything but a #1 team in the nation. The best thing the Vols have found so far is that Bowden, and Bone have started taking their shots and gained more confidence. So that makes 4 or 5 players, if you count Turner (streaky so far not consistent ) that can score 10 and more every night. The great thing is that Bowden and Bone are actually consistent and have a good 2 point game if the 3 doesn't fall. Its a thing of beauty when they are all putting up their shots. But they will pay for some of the foolish things they have been doing when they pull out to a lead and get careless and play dumb ball.

The OP could turn out to be right. Crazy things have happened. Let us lose a game first before you make this thread. No point for this thread right now.

Buddy, right now the Vols are not the #1 team in the nation. They are there because they have not lost since Thanksgiving and not because they have looked like a #1 team. They have looked like anything but a #1 team in the nation. The best thing the Vols have found so far is that Bowden, and Bone have started taking their shots and gained more confidence. So that makes 4 or 5 players, if you count Turner (streaky so far not consistent ) that can score 10 and more every night. The great thing is that Bowden and Bone are actually consistent and have a good 2 point game if the 3 doesn't fall. Its a thing of beauty when they are all putting up their shots. But they will pay for some of the foolish things they have been doing when they pull out to a lead and get careless and play dumb ball.

You've obviously never been apart of a winning team. It is natural at times you're going to put things is cruise control when you're playing against obviously lesser opponents. Let's get to Kentucky first or actually lose a game we shouldn't before you post whiner stuff like this

Tennessee will end the regular season 28-3 and hopefully playing their best going into tournament time. awaitingawin is a very sad Vols fan (if he is actually Vols fan)

I will feel the same way about the vols if they are 28-3 or 24-7.....I have loved watching Bone and Bowden come into their own. A thing of beauty. Even been consistent in what they have been doing. Someone the rest of the team can put their confidence in. The team is filled with terrific young men. So, yeah I will be pulling for them even harder in the SEC tourney and NCAA tourney where ever they are placed. They can be a team of great chemistry and demand the best of each other but recently they have not been playing like the #1 team in the nation.

Ahhh I remember the days when we lived on the bubble talk but now we have fans giving other fans a dose of “reality” while we are having one best seasons in school history. Very refreshing.

Reactions: vols4evah
You've obviously never been apart of a winning team. It is natural at times you're going to put things is cruise control when you're playing against obviously lesser opponents. Let's get to Kentucky first or actually lose a game we shouldn't before you post whiner stuff like this

Outside Barnes puts the best foot forward for the team and still yet is critical. Inside may be a different story......do you call him a whiner or realist

Ahhh I remember the days when we lived on the bubble talk but now we have fans giving other fans a dose of “reality” while we are having one best seasons in school history. Very refreshing.
Man, are you ever right. This time of season just hoping we could get in. At this time of year figuring up how many losses we could afford to lose and still get in. This year its wondering if we can play well enough to be a top 1 or 2 seed......

We could struggle down the stretch. The regular season is a grind,those FL teams that won back to back struggled down the stretch losing 6 of their final 13 in 05-06 and 3 of their last 5 in 06-07. In the grand scheme of things it didn't matter to them and won't matter to this team. This team has its eyes on the big prize even though they would never admit it right now. When the dance starts this won't look like the team we've been watching the past month and I guarantee no team in the country will be looking forward to being in the same bracket as the Vols

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Our best things are Bowden/Bone? No mention of the reigning SEC player of the year?

And we're not the #1 team in the nation? Considering you're using your imaginary interpretation of how Barnes feels behind the scenes as the example of the mentality we should have, I'm going to suggest you take the opinion of the coaches that UNAMIMOUSLY agree we deserve the ranking.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Why do they think they matchup so good versus us?They all seem to think that.Athletic bigs is what gives us problems and they dont have that type of player.What am i missing?
Looks like a match of both. Some are discounting us based on having easier games front-loaded. Some are giving us healthy respect and warning the others that this is a talented Vol team regardless. I think it's going to be a war next Sat night in Lexington. But I still say to focus on USCe first. We will gain a game on either UK or LSU Tues, probably LSU.

Reactions: awaitingawin
ShoNuff and the OP have to be the same person.

If not, they at least share a brain.

Both of them have been gloom and doom all season. I don't know why they bother even following sports if all they want to do is what for us to lose so they can say "I told you so".

They have to be miserable people IRL.

Reactions: Titan05

VN Store

Back