Tennessee 24-7

TN faces real good coaches in 7 of the last 8 games. But winning 6 of 8 is going to be tough to pull off by KY (2x), @lsu, @Auburn, @Miss, Miss St, USC, and Vandy. Most of those teams aren't playing flawlessly either.

I think OP is giving a voice to all of the secret worries that we all have as fans. After all, we've all seen promising Vol teams of the past disappoint us over the years. But I have to say that this team seems to have the ability to adjust to situations and do what needs to be done. We may stumble, but I don't think they'll let us down when it counts.

By March 9th....they have looked bad @ home for the most part and looked worse the last 2 or three games at home.
Teams have been gunning for the Vols but the teams Tennessee is getting ready to play have much much better Athletes and records.
Tennessee will not be able to turn it on and off against the teams beginning next Saturday.
Tennessee's weaknesses are not just on the boards.
Tennessee is out of position many times on the D when they pressure the opposing teams PG's to keep them beyond the Arc and Tennessee may have to resort to a 2-3 zone.
You come out cold against KY, LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss, Auburn the game may be over by half time.
Tennessee being #1 in the nation gives the above mentioned teams, who are very good teams already, even more energy and especially at home.
The teams we are about to start playing have the ability to run the score up on the Vols and go over them.
Tennessee better get more than rebounding fixed.
Teams we should have upped our game against and never looked back becomes close games so we think we can just turn on the burners and win.
Tennessee is going to need to have Bowden, Turner, Bone and the Admiral on fire in order not to be 24-7 by Tourney time
With our play lately it amazes me we only have 1 loss and its great for the school and fans buttttttttttttttttttttt..............................
Get ready for our 2nd loss and more following that and then we will see where we really belong by seasons end. Wake up time !

Is that you Holly?

Oh I find it better not to look through Orange Colored glasses. I'll state my case and right now no one in their right minds would say Tennessee is the #1 team in the nation because of their play. They may because they haven't lost since thanksgiving but not that they are playing like a #1 team in the nation. No, not at all !
Do you want them to win or lose on Saturday?

Reactions: Titan05
OP makes some valid points, and I have seen it too. I have been frustrated to say the least that we have consistently played "lesser" opponents in that fashion..jetting the engines, then falling back once a comfortable lead is established, then jetting again. Fortunately it's been enough so far. That said, it is NOT a valid argument to suggest that we've played that way every time out. When we have needed continuous energy for entire games, we've provided it. Nonetheless we have been sloppy and a bit lethargic the past handful of games in ways that I did not notice earlier in the season. We played better when we were the hunter, no 2 ways about it. I'll be kind of glad to get back into that position again, it will likely server this team very well to be served a wake up. As far as KY goes, they will apparently be favored, and I for one am glad. It's true we're averaging a blowout in conference play, but let's face it, that's largely thanks to the 46 point laugher over UGA. We have not dominated consistently in the league, despite our gaudy record. All that said, I have seen elements in this team, granted they've come and gone, but ones that I believe can certainly earn a Final 4 or beyond. Despite a few high quality wins early on, would you look into your Volunteer heart and say that we are the best looking team in the nation, factoring in the last six pack of games? I think the jury is still out. We'll know a lot more in a couple weeks...

GO BIG ORANGE!!

I’m confused. UK played this same FL team a week ago and trailed most of the game.

Once we took the lead not even half way into the first half we didn’t get any closer than a 4 point game.

UK just struggled to put Miss St away.

What am I missing?

Reactions: Big time vol
I’m confused. UK played this same FL team a week ago and trailed most of the game.

Once we took the lead not even half way into the first half we didn’t get any closer than a 4 point game.

UK just struggled to put Miss St away.

What am I missing?
You’re missing OP’s penchant for hysterics and loose connection to reality.

Reactions: Brentwoodvolfan
Haven’t most of your predictions so far about this season turned out to be pretty false? Hopefully this is another.

I said previously that Tennessee would have difficulty with teams in rebounding, those that slashed to the basket, the baseline and that they would have trouble with teams that went inside out to the perimeter. Was I wrong ?
Was I wrong when I said Bowden needed to look for his shot and take it or that Bone needed to take his shot. Has the team scoring evened out the last few games because they were looking for their shots. Yes, since the last game we played at florida and tonight. Did I expect us to be with just one loss at this point. No way.

We have trouble guarding the perimeter. We get all out of shaped when we use 2 men to push the ball beyond the arc. Rebounding and blocking out speaks for itself.
Please feel free to remind me of all my other false predictions. You know the truth. There are some great posters on this forum and respectable. Its been a great forum until those from the FF leach over after football and recruiting is over. All most can say at this time is that our poor energy or play is due to the poor teams we have played. This team is going to have to be hitting on all cylinders going forward or at least a combination of any 3 of our players having consistent nights

OP makes some valid points, and I have seen it too. I have been frustrated to say the least that we have consistently played "lesser" opponents in that fashion..jetting the engines, then falling back once a comfortable lead is established, then jetting again. Fortunately it's been enough so far. That said, it is NOT a valid argument to suggest that we've played that way every time out. When we have needed continuous energy for entire games, we've provided it. Nonetheless we have been sloppy and a bit lethargic the past handful of games in ways that I did not notice earlier in the season. We played better when we were the hunter, no 2 ways about it. I'll be kind of glad to get back into that position again, it will likely server this team very well to be served a wake up. As far as KY goes, they will apparently be favored, and I for one am glad. It's true we're averaging a blowout in conference play, but let's face it, that's largely thanks to the 46 point laugher over UGA. We have not dominated consistently in the league, despite our gaudy record. All that said, I have seen elements in this team, granted they've come and gone, but ones that I believe can certainly earn a Final 4 or beyond. Despite a few high quality wins early on, would you look into your Volunteer heart and say that we are the best looking team in the nation, factoring in the last six pack of games? I think the jury is still out. We'll know a lot more in a couple weeks...

GO BIG ORANGE!!
Excellently stated

So....since your argument is that these other teams will be gunning for us as the #1, for your scenario to hold true, we must lose and continue to be #1

Doesn't make sense.

dont sweat it awaitingawin. most of the people on this board follow the good ole boy system. they dont like anyone posting stuff they dont agree with. if you do, its the salem witch trials. just laugh at'em and do your thing.

By March 9th....they have looked bad @ home for the most part and looked worse the last 2 or three games at home.
Teams have been gunning for the Vols but the teams Tennessee is getting ready to play have much much better Athletes and records.
Tennessee will not be able to turn it on and off against the teams beginning next Saturday.
Tennessee's weaknesses are not just on the boards.
Tennessee is out of position many times on the D when they pressure the opposing teams PG's to keep them beyond the Arc and Tennessee may have to resort to a 2-3 zone.
You come out cold against KY, LSU, Miss St., Ole Miss, Auburn the game may be over by half time.
Tennessee being #1 in the nation gives the above mentioned teams, who are very good teams already, even more energy and especially at home.
The teams we are about to start playing have the ability to run the score up on the Vols and go over them.
Tennessee better get more than rebounding fixed.
Teams we should have upped our game against and never looked back becomes close games so we think we can just turn on the burners and win.
Tennessee is going to need to have Bowden, Turner, Bone and the Admiral on fire in order not to be 24-7 by Tourney time
With our play lately it amazes me we only have 1 loss and its great for the school and fans buttttttttttttttttttttt..............................
Get ready for our 2nd loss and more following that and then we will see where we really belong by seasons end. Wake up time !
Hey chicken little, the sky isn't falling. Put the knife down. If you really believe we finish the season 2-6, then you haven't watched much college basketball season.

10 years from now, you're going to look back on this season and regret wringing your hands over the next potential loss instead of enjoying a fun, possibly historic season.

Gonna love to see what you have to say if Tennessee wins next Saturday lol

Why I will be tickled ORANGE and take all the flack you guys hand out. It will mean Tennessee made a lot of adjustments and played a whale of a game. I'll be super happy because it will give me confidence I haven't had since we beat the Zags and the Cardinals.

I think that Barnes would be using different lineups if the objective was to destroy each of these opponents. IMO Fulkerson, Johnson, and Turner as the PG would see far fewer minutes if they weren't being prepared for contingencies down the stretch run. If the objective were to win every game as convincingly as possible the 1st 6 would get almost every minute of PT while the 4 sophomores would play as little as possible. Last year in the NCAAT it sure would have helped if Fulk and Walker would have had more playing time before bring forced to fill in for KA versus Loyola-Chicago.

Why I will be tickled ORANGE and take all the flack you guys hand out. It will mean Tennessee made a lot of adjustments and played a whale of a game. I'll be super happy because it will give me confidence I haven't had since we beat the Zags and the Cardinals.
Don’t understand why you don’t have confidence in this team ? They’ve know how to turn it on in big games , you’ll see .

Reactions: Titan05
Don’t understand why you don’t have confidence in this team ? They’ve know how to turn it on in big games , you’ll see .
our RPI and Defense is not great compared to the top 10 teams. yes we will see very soon....the SEC is down big this year compared to others. Kentucky will show us where we really are. those games early in the season dont mean much now.

Reactions: awaitingawin
Hey chicken little, the sky isn't falling. Put the knife down. If you really believe we finish the season 2-6, then you haven't watched much college basketball season.

10 years from now, you're going to look back on this season and regret wringing your hands over the next potential loss instead of enjoying a fun, possibly historic season.
Oh, I enjoy winning but what the Vols put me through with some of these teams a #1 team should just throttle bothers me. Tennesee could very easily lose 6 games between now and March 9th with this type play. They won't be able to turn it on or off with most of these teams IMO. Why, would I be chicken little, Tennessee losing isn't going to harm me I just love a good Tennessee win. I just love to see Bowden, Bone, Williams, Turner and the Admiral score and score a lot. I'd love to see Pons find a shot and JJ too. I love to see Fulky up his point totals averages to 8-12 points a game. I love to see improvement.

Oh, I enjoy winning but what the Vols put me through with some of these teams a #1 team should just throttle bothers me. Tennesee could very easily lose 6 games between now and March 9th with this type play. They won't be able to turn it on or off with most of these teams IMO. Why, would I be chicken little, Tennessee losing isn't going to harm me I just love a good Tennessee win. I just love to see Bowden, Bone, Williams, Turner and the Admiral score and score a lot. I'd love to see Pons find a shot and JJ too. I love to see Fulky up his point totals averages to 8-12 points a game. I love to see improvement.

JJ has found his shot. But he's been coached to first look for the higher percentage options down low. Every time he handles the ball on the perimeter he's looking to feed the post. He's not piling up stats but he's making very good decisions.

The Vols have improved in the fact that at the beginning of the season he tried to set everyone else up for their shot and he wasn't taking what was there for him. He is now.
I can say the same for Bowden. Wonderful improvement
Turner can get hot any game.
Williams a force underneath.

But we are entering the part of our schedule that is going to tell us where we should be ranked.
We are weak in rebounding and have been giving up easy baskets for many games now.
Its difficult to guard the 3 with the style defense we play. We lose our men for easy shots too often.
Petty of Alabama showed up one of our weaknesses with his quickness and penetration to the basket.

So far our offense has been enough to pull it out but we are getting ready to play some teams that can make us pay.
I think if you look at the Ky's, North Carolinas, Dukes, Michigan's ect and see Tennessee at this point as good as them then you see differently than I do

Oh, I enjoy winning but what the Vols put me through with some of these teams a #1 team should just throttle bothers me.
They won going away today, and most every day since the start of the season.

Tennesee could very easily lose 6 games between now and March 9th with this type play. They won't be able to turn it on or off with most of these teams IMO.
No, Tennessee could not "easily lose 6 games by 3/9". It would require then doing something 6 times in 3 weeks that they have done once in the last 3 months.

Why, would I be chicken little, Tennessee losing isn't going to harm me.
Are you kidding? Have you read your negativity-laced manifesto, here? You're a step away from the ledge.

I just love a good Tennessee win. I just love to see Bowden, Bone, Williams, Turner and the Admiral score and score a lot.
Hmmm...that's a tough sell since that's all they have done all season and you haven't seemed to enjoy it. We lead the SEC in scoring, scoring margin, assists, blocks, FG%, and most importantly, wins. You'd never believe that reading your posts.

VN Store

Back