Tennessee 16.5 point underdogs to Florida

KBVol

Nothing to base it on but last season, so yeah fair.
Do what? Florida beats Tennessee every year (they’ve won 13 of 14). They’re a top 10 team, we’re a top 60 team or so, and the game is being played in Gainesville after Florida beat us in Knoxville last year by 26. Last season’s game is certainly a big factor as it’s the last head to head matchup. But it’s completely understandable given the history of this series and how both teams stack up right now.....Florida is well ahead of schedule in their rebuild and we appear to be a good bit behind.

KBVol

I don't see how anyone can make these predictions and be accurate without seeing teams on the field. This is a new year! GBO!!
Honestly, where Tennessee vs Florida is concerned, it’s really not a new year......just the continuation, no matter who the players and coaches are, of about a 40 year nightmare for Tennessee. Just can’t beat Florida hardly ever, certainly with no hope of beating them with any regularity at all.

BigOrangeTrain

It will all come down to our QB.

Our defense will surprise them. Our D-Line will hold it's on. Taylor and the newcomers at OLB will create pressure. Our secondary against their WRs will be very interesting. And Vice Versa. Those are both strengths for each team.
Agree on the QB but it will also come down largely to the OL as well as the WRs.

KeyVol14

Do what? Florida beats Tennessee every year (they’ve won 13 of 14). They’re a top 10 team, we’re a top 60 team or so, and the game is being played in Gainesville after Florida beat us in Knoxville last year by 26. Last season’s game is certainly a big factor as it’s the last head to head matchup. But it’s completely understandable given the history of this series and how both teams stack up right now.....Florida is well ahead of schedule in their rebuild and we appear to be a good bit behind.
Tbh man we turned the ball over 7 times. I don't see us doing that again this year.

livefaith

16.5 on the spread is meaningless right now because so much can change. Significant injuries for either team (let’s pray this one doesn’t happen either way), one team or both could lose a game, even in wins one or both could look awful v inferior competition, one team could look unbeatable and blast their way to the game with massive blowouts, etc. All these scenarios will change the outlook on the spread.
Unless Tennessee implodes in a loss to BYU (or God-forbid a scrub game), I could definitely see this line getting a lot closer. So, if someone is going to bet on emotion (a worse idea than peeing on an electric fence, btw) on UT, then it seems like good sense to throw your $$$ to the wind now.

livefaith

Of all of the dismissals and everything, Steele has an effect because he would have played, but it has more of an effect for next season.

There is actually a rumor of a guy quitting football (medical reasons) that has far more potential impact than any of the players who have left.

Again, some of these things do have an impact on the future (depending on future recruiting as well), but it never makes sense to me how people get worked up about true freshman or role players no one ever heard of no longer being a part of the team effecting the current year’s team.

Another FYI, rumor has it Miami is terrible. I am hesitant to believe that until I see it because I know when a team wearing that helmet takes the field, they have athletes. Having said that, I have heard they will be God awful. Will be more than happy if true
A lot of those ideas come from the "FaceBook News" style sports ads that roll thru daily. No way SaturdayDownSouth or Bleach Report or some FB deal is gonna say "Backup no-impact DB Quits UF" because nobody will care. They get clicks by making everything seem drastic and earth shaking. Fans of other teams don't pay enough attention and then we have this situation.

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
Really cannot see why we would be favored against anyone right now. We have some good players and coaches but, do we have a (healthy) team????

Boca Vol

Lab Rat
I was at the Florida Michigan game, and the gators looked extremely good. But they've had the offseason from hell it seems like, and they don't appear to be the same team. That spread seems insanely high. If we go down there and lose by that much, Pruitt's season is going to be a long one.
Butch Jones had the Vols ready to play in the 3 bowls he led them to.....but it's been proven over and over that a bowl game's result's means squat regarding the next season.

chattavol420

That’s probably fair. Florida just has our number. It is what it is. There’s no sense in denying it. We have to win 3 out of the next 5 (or so) to start to change things. It hurts us badly in recruiting. Even as good as uga has been of late we’ve still had at least some success against them. We’ve won several times over the last decade. But not so with Florida. We’ve had so much misfortune against them. We were inline to win when bray and hunter were together but hunter went down on that first series. A year or two prior to that we had them on ropes late in the game and urban Meyer went for a fake punt deep in his own territory. They converted even though our linebacker was in position to make the play (it was one of our undersized white middle linebackers) and that salted away that game. Then there was the 6 fumbles in the first half in the rain with clausen. Going back even further there was the no-catch (catch) I’m the end zone by Florida to win. Everything always goes their way in that game

Johncarter53

Show me your TD’s
The point spread doesn’t surprise me. Nobody in Gainesville respects us. We’re like vandy or Kentucky to them. Kinda reminds me of how auburn viewed us last year...

99gator

Congressman
The spread is surprising from another point of view. Bettors usually look at history with this stuff more than folks think.

Florida has only beaten Tennessee by that large of a spread in Gainesville 3 times since 1991 (1991, 1995, 2007). 3 times in the last 14 meetings in Gainesville.

VN Store

Sponsors