Tennessean Tess Darby signs her Lady Vol LOI

TenUhSee

Vol For Life
Tennessean Tess Darby signs her Lady Vol LOI

"Tess is a skilled and competitive wing," Tennessee Coach Kellie Harper said. "She is a terrific shooter and has a high basketball IQ. As a native Tennessean, Tess has a great appreciation of what it means to be part of our university and the Lady Vol program."

EHLwx1SX4AgfNMm.jpg

I am new to this forum - was very interested in UT trying to turn the program around and hiring Kellie Harper, a former player, to do it. Was excited to learn more and thought this would be a good place for that. But, this will be my last post. This young woman is a teenage girl. If this is how people on this board look at, think about, and talk about these young women, I am so disappointed and sorry.

I am new to this forum - was very interested in UT trying to turn the program around and hiring Kellie Harper, a former player, to do it. Was excited to learn more and thought this would be a good place for that. But, this will be my last post. This young woman is a teenage girl. If this is how people on this board look at, think about, and talk about these young women, I am so disappointed and sorry.
I agree completely with your assessment of the idiots who make crude comments. They should be kicked off the forum. But, when you say "people on this board" you are including me and the vast majority of members who never stoop to such repulsive behavior. Including a simple qualifier such as "some" or " a few" people would have made your comment more on point.

If this is how people on this board look at, think about, and talk about these young women, I am so disappointed and sorry.

Just my half-nickel, but hope you'll reconsider and give the board a chance. I think that you'll find this forum to be extremely well-moderated and the vast majority of the posts to be respectful both toward the players and toward other members.

Very rarely, somebody might let their enthusiasm cloud his/her better judgment and make a comment that straddles the line if not crossing it. When commenting on player appearance, there's a line between being complimentary and downright creepy (or worse). And that doesn't even take into consideration any intended to be derogatory or insulting.

When Emily and Tamari signed, I posted a few "glamour" prom-type shots of theirs and commented that they would enhance the team photo. The comments of others seemed supportive and appreciative of them without sounding creepy, and I think both young ladies would be flattered. Others have commented on Destiny's sweet smile. Didn't seem untoward on anyone's part, although you never know how the players or families will take it.

Some of us expressed the opinion that we didn't care for the rolled-up shorts look. Others haven't cared for an abundance of tattoos (sleeves, etc.). There have been debates about those things and other fashion choices, but none seemed to be maliciously aimed at players (unlike comments aimed at coaches...even Kellie's hairstyle has been criticized).

I think we can all be more careful when discussing appearances. We want the forum to be fun, but we also want to avoid unintentionally making the players (including the male athletes) uncomfortable or feeling hurt. As Jerry Clower used to say, "When in doubt, don't. You're fixin' to mess up."

Hope this doesn't sound too preachy, as I'm admonishing myself, too. I really enjoy the maturity and good humor normally expressed here, especially the tone since the divisive period we've recently come through.

I agree completely with your assessment of the idiots who make crude comments. They should be kicked off the forum. But, when you say "people on this board" you are including me and the vast majority of members who never stoop to such repulsive behavior. Including a simple qualifier such as "some" or " a few" people would have made your comment more on point.

Don't let a few speak for us all

Reactions: 37L1 and Creekdog
Well, I don't think the forum will miss you, csb.

you coulda been a contender, not a pretender... bye bye.

VN Store

Back