Ten Thoughts (2018-2019 Edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Part One

1. If you want to get minutes, you better bring it defensively- Watching the preseason game against Tusculum, the one thing that caught my eye was the intensity everyone brought on the defensive end. This should not shock Tennessee fans at all as they finished 37th in defensive efficiency nationally. But for a preseason game, it looked like Barnes gave his team one message: If you want minutes, you play hard on defense. He mentioned it repeatedly in his presser after the exhibition game.

With Tennessee's offensive firepower and the offensive rebounding, Tennessee should not have too many issues scoring the basketball, especially with improved guard play. But Barnes knows this team's defense will take them to the promised land. Grant Williams can stand to improve and that is gonna be the next step in his game. And the bench will need to find consistent defenders. Derrick Walker and Yves Pons are gonna get minutes and have the potential to be really good defenders. Barnes has never been afraid to bench guys for lack of defensive hustle and he will do the same this year.

2. What new offensive looks will we see?- Barnes talked about expanding the offensive sets and I saw a couple of things I liked in the exhibition. Looked like more sets for three-pointers and a little more drive and kick game was prevalent on Tuesday. I have been harping for more on ball pick and roll, with Jordan Bone's ability to get into the paint. I think more pick and roll with Bone/Alexander or Williams and spread out with Schofield/Bowden/Turner can be a deadly look. I am curious if Tennessee pushes the ball more with the depth that they have and I think more transition buckets will be an emphasis. And expect to see post isolations with Williams and Schofield again, but maybe with more off-ball action and cuts to get easy buckets. That will depend on if the posts have worked on their passing out of the post (a weakness of the team last year).

3. Can Jordan Bone take the next step?- If you ask me who is the most important player on the 2018-2019 Tennessee Men's Basketball Team, I think Rick Barnes would tell you the same answer I will give: Jordan Bone. Only a junior, I do not want to say Bone was disappointing (especially because injuries set back his freshman year and put him behind). However, there has been a lack of consistent play from his offense. A 49% true shooting percentage won’t cut it from the point guard spot. And this year, there is no James Daniel to come in and steady the team when he struggles. Only Lamonte Turner is the other point guard and he is better off the ball.

I think you will see Barnes help him out this year more than last year. In 2017-2018, Barnes called a lot of isolations for Schofield and Williams. It worked well and helped cover the lack of playmaking from the guards. It also gave Tennessee the best chance to spread the floor. I remember the Arkansas game in the SEC tournament and how well Bone looked with a faster pace and more plays designed for him. He took advantage and was excellent. This year, more on ball screens and a faster pace can put him into a better rhythm to guide the offense. He doesn’t have to be an All-SEC player but something like ten points and five assists (with something like 35% from deep) while continuing to protect the ball (which he did well last year) will take Tennessee to another level.

4. Who will be the fourth big? We know Grant Williams and Kyle Alexander will take a bulk of the playing time at the forward spots. And Admiral is going to see time as a stretch four with his shooting and rebounding. Alexander plays hard and provides excellent rim protection and shows touch around the rim. But he’s never been in great condition and he’s always had foul problems. Tennessee is gonna need another guy. Last year, both John Fulkerson and Derrick Walker struggled badly in the loss to Loyola-Chicago after Kyle Alexander went down with an injury. And neither player showed consistency coming off the bench. But they both have strengths and can contribute this year.

Walker brings the toughness and rebounding that Barnes likes from the center position. He has shown some scoring ability and I like how he sets screens. Defensively, he will never be a shot blocker and moving his feet on defense will be the next step in his development. Fulkerson is a really good passer and I like his offensive profile. A lefty with nice touch, he also understands spacing and cutting in this offense. Last year, he didn’t get an offseason with his injuries. He was the source of frustration for Volunteer fans last year but I think he will surprise some people. And honestly, both guys could be regulars in the rotation. They are both athletic enough to play the power forward spot. More Admiral at the wing is a benefit because he’s the second best shooter on the team and he provides a mismatch with his post game against other wings.

5. The development of Yves Pons- If you ask me, the most intriguing NBA prospect on this Tennessee team is French swingman Yves Pons. He’s 6’6 with a super long wingspan and already has an NBA body. I love his athleticism and not just his jumping ability. He has a quick first step and the agility that scouts love. But coming into Tennessee, he was (and probably still is) incredibly raw and didn’t get a lot of playing time for a team that had championship aspirations. The Volunteers could not throw him into the fire like they might have been able to in Barnes’ first two years.

This year, Pons might be Tennessee’s best defender. Barnes has already praised Pons’ versatility and has talked about how he can play all five positions on that end. The shot will get there and it looks better. He has a more consistent release and his footwork is light years ahead of where it was his freshman year. And with Lamonte Turner being the primary backup point guard (and really the only one) Tennessee will need somebody to step up at the wing. Pons doesn’t need to be great offensively. Tennessee has the firepower for that already. What they need is a defender and rebounder, which Pons can be. All they need him to do on offense is hit some open three’s and finish in transition. Pons has a first-round NBA body and the athleticism to go with it. Now this year it will be playing consistent minutes and becoming an elite defender.

Part Two

6. Do not judge Tennessee out of conference- I don’t have any stats to prove this, but this feels like Tennessee’s hardest out of conference schedule since 2006-2007 (Pearl’s second year). Tennessee will play a good Louisville team with one of the best game planners in the country with Chris Mack for the preseason NIT tournament, and a win most likely gets top five Kansas. Gonzaga on the west coast is never easy and Georgia Tech as game number 2 at home is not a cakewalk. Plus we get a renewed Tennessee/Memphis rivalry and going to Memphis is never an easy trip no matter the state of that program. Oh, and you get Bob Huggins and his pressing defense at home. That game will be a fight in hell.

My main point being is Tennessee could suffer a couple early season losses and fans might overreact (okay probably will overreact if that happens). I would not worry about it. We know this team can win regular season games. Rick Barnes is going to do everything in his power to win a postseason tournament this year and that is his main goal. The regular season accolades are nice and yes you want to be in a good position but you might see Barnes try different sets on offense and weird rotations in November and December. If that happens, don’t be alarmed. It’s all about March for this team.

7. Drive and kick or post and pass?- If you talk about the evolution of basketball, it starts and ends with the increased use of the three-point shot. The NBA continues to set team and individual records from the perimeter year after year. A lot of that is from the drive and kick game, using spacing to attack the paint and look for open three-point shooters.

Tennessee was an excellent perimeter shooting team last year, shooting 38% from deep and finishing 46th in the country. Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, and Jordan Bowden all shot exactly 39.5% from deep (what a weird statistical anomaly!) and all three can shoot in a variety of ways. However, Tennessee finished 163rd in the country in three-point attempts with 718 attempts (20.5 per game). This year, that number needs to be in the top 75 Tennessee has a major advantage with Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield in the post. They can really increase their offensive profile with more designed shots out of post passes and lead to more chances inside the paint. If Tennessee can find one more consistent shooter (Jordan Bone most likely) Tennessee will be damn near impossible to stop. I think Tennessee should exploit three-point shots out of the post more, especially with since Tennessee doesn’t have a strong perimeter playmaker.

8. The 13th scholarship- This past offseason, Tennessee lost two scholarship players (James Daniel to graduation and Chris Darrington to transfer) and gained one player in big man D.J. Burns. Tennessee only has twelve scholarships players at the moment and while there is no news or rumors to report, there is a possibility of a mid-season addition. I wouldn’t bank on it, especially since Tennessee already has three commitments for next year. But we have seen it before at Tennessee when Jarnell Stokes enrolled mid-year for the conference schedule of 2011-2012. If a high school player graduates early or can’t play high school ball because of transfer issues, Tennessee could use that for a good recruit and add him to the year midseason. As I said, this should not be expected but could be something to keep an eye on.

9. Lamonte Turner as the backup point guard- Tennessee’s two most important players to keep healthy throughout the year are the point guards in Jordan Bone and Lamonte Turner. While Jordan Bowden has practiced at point guard, I have high doubts about his ability there. He’s a good basketball player, but he’s not a point guard (at least not what I have seen). Keeping Bone and Turner healthy and fresh are a top priority.

Now Lamonte Turner is a really good basketball player, and I love his game. He’s the best shooter Tennessee has had since Chris Lofton and JaJaun Smith and he has shown to be a tenacious defender. He’s also the best rebounding guard on the team. I thought he did well as a point guard last year. He will never be a great playmaker; it’s just not his game and that’s fine. He’s a scorer and that is valuable as a lead guard. Plus he can guard the position well. There were times he was not great at handling pressure and it felt that Tennessee could be stagnant with him at point guard. What helps is Tennessee’s offense doesn’t require a lot from the position in terms of playmaking. The motion and post based offense takes pressure off the point guard position and Turner is really good creating his shot late in the shot clock. There are much worse options to have as your backup point guard. But Tennessee cannot afford to have him injured.

10. Dream on Tennessee fans- Look, Tennessee athletics hasn’t exactly been a source of joy this decade. And that goes beyond basketball. Hell, last year’s season (despite the wonderful season by Rick Barnes and company) ended in heartbreak with losing to Kentucky in the SEC Tournament and then on the last play to Loyola-Chicago. But Tennessee returns 10 of their 12 contributors from last year’s team. They return their six best players from last year. And they have sophomores that can be starters in the future that will contribute this year. This team deserves their #6 preseason ranking and are legitimate national title contenders.

Yes, I said national title contenders. Now, I don’t think that should be the expectation because Tennessee isn’t that type of school. It is never national title or bust here (not yet at least). But I see absolutely no reason a Final Four should be the goal for this team. Now, if they have a 28-3 regular season and win the SEC regular season title and SEC tournament, then lose in the Elite Eight, it should not be disappointing. That’s the best year in Tennessee basketball history.

But this year the Tennessee Volunteers can win a national title. They have elite big men, excellent shooters, play aggressive defense, and now have experience. Rick Barnes has never been known for great tournament success but he’s been there before. He knows what it takes to win in March. And what I love about Barnes is he pushes his team while keeping their confidence high. It’s a huge strength from him as a coach and not a lot of coaches can do that. My main concern is the perimeter playmaking. Can Tennessee get enough from its guards in the scoring department. Can Jordan Bone and Jordan Bowden be consistent enough to cause damage in the NCAA Tournament? That will be the biggest question. But Tennessee fans, dream on this year. This team can be special and last year showed it. Sit back and enjoy. This might be the best team in Tennessee Volunteers basketball history.

Part Two

6. Do not judge Tennessee out of conference- I don’t have any stats to prove this, but this feels like Tennessee’s hardest out of conference schedule since 2006-2007 (Pearl’s second year). Tennessee will play a good Louisville team with one of the best game planners in the country with Chris Mack for the preseason NIT tournament, and a win most likely gets top five Kansas. Gonzaga on the west coast is never easy and Georgia Tech as game number 2 at home is not a cakewalk. Plus we get a renewed Tennessee/Memphis rivalry and going to Memphis is never an easy trip no matter the state of that program. Oh, and you get Bob Huggins and his pressing defense at home. That game will be a fight in hell.

My main point being is Tennessee could suffer a couple early season losses and fans might overreact (okay probably will overreact if that happens). I would not worry about it. We know this team can win regular season games. Rick Barnes is going to do everything in his power to win a postseason tournament this year and that is his main goal. The regular season accolades are nice and yes you want to be in a good position but you might see Barnes try different sets on offense and weird rotations in November and December. If that happens, don’t be alarmed. It’s all about March for this team.

7. Drive and kick or post and pass?- If you talk about the evolution of basketball, it starts and ends with the increased use of the three-point shot. The NBA continues to set team and individual records from the perimeter year after year. A lot of that is from the drive and kick game, using spacing to attack the paint and look for open three-point shooters.

Tennessee was an excellent perimeter shooting team last year, shooting 38% from deep and finishing 46th in the country. Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, and Jordan Bowden all shot exactly 39.5% from deep (what a weird statistical anomaly!) and all three can shoot in a variety of ways. However, Tennessee finished 163rd in the country in three-point attempts with 718 attempts (20.5 per game). This year, that number needs to be in the top 75 Tennessee has a major advantage with Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield in the post. They can really increase their offensive profile with more designed shots out of post passes and lead to more chances inside the paint. If Tennessee can find one more consistent shooter (Jordan Bone most likely) Tennessee will be damn near impossible to stop. I think Tennessee should exploit three-point shots out of the post more, especially with since Tennessee doesn’t have a strong perimeter playmaker.

8. The 13th scholarship- This past offseason, Tennessee lost two scholarship players (James Daniel to graduation and Chris Darrington to transfer) and gained one player in big man D.J. Burns. Tennessee only has twelve scholarships players at the moment and while there is no news or rumors to report, there is a possibility of a mid-season addition. I wouldn’t bank on it, especially since Tennessee already has three commitments for next year. But we have seen it before at Tennessee when Jarnell Stokes enrolled mid-year for the conference schedule of 2011-2012. If a high school player graduates early or can’t play high school ball because of transfer issues, Tennessee could use that for a good recruit and add him to the year midseason. As I said, this should not be expected but could be something to keep an eye on.

9. Lamonte Turner as the backup point guard- Tennessee’s two most important players to keep healthy throughout the year are the point guards in Jordan Bone and Lamonte Turner. While Jordan Bowden has practiced at point guard, I have high doubts about his ability there. He’s a good basketball player, but he’s not a point guard (at least not what I have seen). Keeping Bone and Turner healthy and fresh are a top priority.

Now Lamonte Turner is a really good basketball player, and I love his game. He’s the best shooter Tennessee has had since Chris Lofton and JaJaun Smith and he has shown to be a tenacious defender. He’s also the best rebounding guard on the team. I thought he did well as a point guard last year. He will never be a great playmaker; it’s just not his game and that’s fine. He’s a scorer and that is valuable as a lead guard. Plus he can guard the position well. There were times he was not great at handling pressure and it felt that Tennessee could be stagnant with him at point guard. What helps is Tennessee’s offense doesn’t require a lot from the position in terms of playmaking. The motion and post based offense takes pressure off the point guard position and Turner is really good creating his shot late in the shot clock. There are much worse options to have as your backup point guard. But Tennessee cannot afford to have him injured.

10. Dream on Tennessee fans- Look, Tennessee athletics hasn’t exactly been a source of joy this decade. And that goes beyond basketball. Hell, last year’s season (despite the wonderful season by Rick Barnes and company) ended in heartbreak with losing to Kentucky in the SEC Tournament and then on the last play to Loyola-Chicago. But Tennessee returns 10 of their 12 contributors from last year’s team. They return their six best players from last year. And they have sophomores that can be starters in the future that will contribute this year. This team deserves their #6 preseason ranking and are legitimate national title contenders.

Yes, I said national title contenders. Now, I don’t think that should be the expectation because Tennessee isn’t that type of school. It is never national title or bust here (not yet at least). But I see absolutely no reason a Final Four should be the goal for this team. Now, if they have a 28-3 regular season and win the SEC regular season title and SEC tournament, then lose in the Elite Eight, it should not be disappointing. That’s the best year in Tennessee basketball history.

But this year the Tennessee Volunteers can win a national title. They have elite big men, excellent shooters, play aggressive defense, and now have experience. Rick Barnes has never been known for great tournament success but he’s been there before. He knows what it takes to win in March. And what I love about Barnes is he pushes his team while keeping their confidence high. It’s a huge strength from him as a coach and not a lot of coaches can do that. My main concern is the perimeter playmaking. Can Tennessee get enough from its guards in the scoring department? Can Jordan Bone and Jordan Bowden be consistent enough to cause damage in the NCAA Tournament? That will be the biggest question. But Tennessee fans, dream on this year. This team can be special and last year showed it. Sit back and enjoy. This might be the best team in Tennessee Volunteers basketball history.

Hell of a write-up! I have no disagreement with any part of what you said. Well done!!!

Reactions: Vols All Day
good stuff...should be a heck of another good season...mo' betta Vols...;)

GO VOLS!

Walker might surprise you as a shot blocker. He was fairly explosive even before dropping several LBs. I think that last year he was overly concerned about making mistakes on defense when he was given occasional minutes and he played a bit afraid. I've seen him elevate well above the rim.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Walker might surprise you as a shot blocker. He was fairly explosive even before dropping several LBs. I think that last year he was overly concerned about making mistakes on defense when he was given occasional minutes and he played a bit afraid. I've seen him elevate well above the rim.

I might call it conservative instead of Afraid, but I agree here

I might call it conservative instead of Afraid, but I agree here

Something like that. Cautious maybe also. I used afraid as in afraid to get benched by Barnes by making a mistake rather than afraid of the opponent. I think he'll be playing with a lot more confidence from now on.

Reactions: O&W
11). We ain't got no knuckleheads on the roster. I think that Barnes ran a couple off. Schofield seemed to start out on that course early on and has done a complete 180 since his freshman year suspension.

It seems like we've had a lot of them throughout history. Pearl had a ton of them. Mears had several. Devoe had Kevin Nash and Gary Carter logging quite a few minutes. Can't remember which coach Winchester refused to check into a game under. Cuonzo's roster had a lot of butt hurt.

It used to be that ultra high character guys like Chris Lofton would only appear every now and then. We now have a roster loaded with them.

Part One

1. If you want to get minutes, you better bring it defensively- Watching the preseason game against Tusculum, the one thing that caught my eye was the intensity everyone brought on the defensive end. This should not shock Tennessee fans at all as they finished 37th in defensive efficiency nationally. But for a preseason game, it looked like Barnes gave his team one message: If you want minutes, you play hard on defense. He mentioned it repeatedly in his presser after the exhibition game.

With Tennessee's offensive firepower and the offensive rebounding, Tennessee should not have too many issues scoring the basketball, especially with improved guard play. But Barnes knows this team's defense will take them to the promised land. Grant Williams can stand to improve and that is gonna be the next step in his game. And the bench will need to find consistent defenders. Derrick Walker and Yves Pons are gonna get minutes and have the potential to be really good defenders. Barnes has never been afraid to bench guys for lack of defensive hustle and he will do the same this year.

2. What new offensive looks will we see?- Barnes talked about expanding the offensive sets and I saw a couple of things I liked in the exhibition. Looked like more sets for three-pointers and a little more drive and kick game was prevalent on Tuesday. I have been harping for more on ball pick and roll, with Jordan Bone's ability to get into the paint. I think more pick and roll with Bone/Alexander or Williams and spread out with Schofield/Bowden/Turner can be a deadly look. I am curious if Tennessee pushes the ball more with the depth that they have and I think more transition buckets will be an emphasis. And expect to see post isolations with Williams and Schofield again, but maybe with more off-ball action and cuts to get easy buckets. That will depend on if the posts have worked on their passing out of the post (a weakness of the team last year).

3. Can Jordan Bone take the next step?- If you ask me who is the most important player on the 2018-2019 Tennessee Men's Basketball Team, I think Rick Barnes would tell you the same answer I will give: Jordan Bone. Only a junior, I do not want to say Bone was disappointing (especially because injuries set back his freshman year and put him behind). However, there has been a lack of consistent play from his offense. A 49% true shooting percentage won’t cut it from the point guard spot. And this year, there is no James Daniel to come in and steady the team when he struggles. Only Lamonte Turner is the other point guard and he is better off the ball.

I think you will see Barnes help him out this year more than last year. In 2017-2018, Barnes called a lot of isolations for Schofield and Williams. It worked well and helped cover the lack of playmaking from the guards. It also gave Tennessee the best chance to spread the floor. I remember the Arkansas game in the SEC tournament and how well Bone looked with a faster pace and more plays designed for him. He took advantage and was excellent. This year, more on ball screens and a faster pace can put him into a better rhythm to guide the offense. He doesn’t have to be an All-SEC player but something like ten points and five assists (with something like 35% from deep) while continuing to protect the ball (which he did well last year) will take Tennessee to another level.

4. Who will be the fourth big? We know Grant Williams and Kyle Alexander will take a bulk of the playing time at the forward spots. And Admiral is going to see time as a stretch four with his shooting and rebounding. Alexander plays hard and provides excellent rim protection and shows touch around the rim. But he’s never been in great condition and he’s always had foul problems. Tennessee is gonna need another guy. Last year, both John Fulkerson and Derrick Walker struggled badly in the loss to Loyola-Chicago after Kyle Alexander went down with an injury. And neither player showed consistency coming off the bench. But they both have strengths and can contribute this year.

Walker brings the toughness and rebounding that Barnes likes from the center position. He has shown some scoring ability and I like how he sets screens. Defensively, he will never be a shot blocker and moving his feet on defense will be the next step in his development. Fulkerson is a really good passer and I like his offensive profile. A lefty with nice touch, he also understands spacing and cutting in this offense. Last year, he didn’t get an offseason with his injuries. He was the source of frustration for Volunteer fans last year but I think he will surprise some people. And honestly, both guys could be regulars in the rotation. They are both athletic enough to play the power forward spot. More Admiral at the wing is a benefit because he’s the second best shooter on the team and he provides a mismatch with his post game against other wings.

5. The development of Yves Pons- If you ask me, the most intriguing NBA prospect on this Tennessee team is French swingman Yves Pons. He’s 6’6 with a super long wingspan and already has an NBA body. I love his athleticism and not just his jumping ability. He has a quick first step and the agility that scouts love. But coming into Tennessee, he was (and probably still is) incredibly raw and didn’t get a lot of playing time for a team that had championship aspirations. The Volunteers could not throw him into the fire like they might have been able to in Barnes’ first two years.

This year, Pons might be Tennessee’s best defender. Barnes has already praised Pons’ versatility and has talked about how he can play all five positions on that end. The shot will get there and it looks better. He has a more consistent release and his footwork is light years ahead of where it was his freshman year. And with Lamonte Turner being the primary backup point guard (and really the only one) Tennessee will need somebody to step up at the wing. Pons doesn’t need to be great offensively. Tennessee has the firepower for that already. What they need is a defender and rebounder, which Pons can be. All they need him to do on offense is hit some open three’s and finish in transition. Pons has a first-round NBA body and the athleticism to go with it. Now this year it will be playing consistent minutes and becoming an elite defender.
Point #3 is spot on and I've been all over it this offseason.

You mention Bone and his comfortability in the fast pace game, and the Arkansas game in the SECT. That game and the regular season matchups with Arkansas and Auburn were probably our three games played at the fastest pace. We went 1-2 in those games, despite blowing a late 9-point lead at Arkansas. However, Bone had perhaps his 3 best games of the season in those games. He averaged 33 minutes/gm and was a combined 21-40 shooting overall (52.5% versus season avg of 39.1%), 8-13 from 3 (61.5% versus season avg of 38%), 8-10 from FT line (80%), with 58 points, 11 assists, 9 rebounds, and only 3 TOs.

It is clear he thrives in a faster pace, and since we have the horses, I would like to see us get more uptempo when opportunity allows. I don't think we want to try and beat teams like Arkansas and Auburn at their own game, but I would like to see us speed up teams that aren't comfortable playing at a quick pace, and Bone will likely thrive in those cases.

Good post Z. His team has bought into what he’s bringing. It’s weird too, cause my 2 cents with his Texas teams were they lacked discipline. But his squads here suggest the opposite. I watched(thank ya YouTube) he’s teams before Texas and he had them playing the defense he’s preaching today but the offense was a lot more disorganized. If it’s him or Lanier, thank goodness for the discipline and movement of the ball on offense that’s been an addition since Austin.

Something like that. Cautious maybe also. I used afraid as in afraid to get benched by Barnes by making a mistake rather than afraid of the opponent. I think he'll be playing with a lot more confidence from now on.
Spot on I thought. I clearly remember instances where he made bonehead TOs and was yanked imeejetly. Saw none of those in the exh.

VN Store

Back