Tee Headed to Louisville

I wish him well but it is going to be very difficult at Louisville for many years. Petrino left the program in bad shape. Jurich isn’t there to pump money into the athletic program anymore and the NCAA is still in the picture.

I like Tee but I have a bad taste in my mouth about how he talks about us. He turned down a job with us under Butch which I understand but it was to stay with Kiffin of all people.

who wouldn't? very smart decision if you ask most and they're being honest.

Then after Pruitt was hired he was asked if he had been talked to about being the OC here. He said "I have talked with them and I made it VERY clear that the ONLY way I would EVER go back to Tennessee was as head coach.

you got a link for this?

Then when he was stripped of his play calling duties this year he complained in an interview saying that he was used to having people be prejudiced against him and talked about how bad he was treated as QB while he was playing here. His own son was in Knoxville and wouldn't even give us a look.

over clemson. are you kidding?

I remember when Tee talked fondly of UT in an interview while coaching at Kentucky but it seems like recently that he has thrown us under the bus and acted like the time he spent here was terrible. The only time I saw him speak fondly about us recently was when a few people showed up with bring Tee home posters at a USC game before we got Pruitt and I think that had more to do with him thinking he was going to be head coach here.

i think you like others have jumped on the hate train and you're either making a lot of this stuff up or passing off made up stuff. however i asked for links so you could very easily prove me wrong
First of all I have not jumped on any hate train. The 1st season I ever watched UT football was the 98 season. Started keeping up with UT from the Florida game till today. He was always one of my heroes growing up and I even have the sports illustrated "Perfect T" issue with him on the cover framed at my house. I also wanted to see him as our next head coach before Pruitt. I am very happy with Pruitt and was hoping he would come to UT as OC. What changed my mind was his ungrateful and smart remarks about how he would never come to UT unless it was as head coach. I am new to posting on here and don't know how to share the link by you can look it up. It is in a knox news article from Dec. 13, 2017. It has the video of him saying that he was very clear he would only come to UT as head coach. The title of the article is Tee Martin: intrest in returning to Tennessee only as head coach. I am not making up anything. Look it up and listen to it yourself.
This is a direct quote from Tee in the article.
“It was a situation where if I was going to go back to Tennessee, it was to be as the head coach, not as a coordinator,” he said. “I made that message very clear. When I was out of that discussion, they moved on to do what they had to do.”

Last edited:
Reactions: MoodyVol
First of all I have not jumped on any hate train. The 1st season I ever watched UT football was the 98 season. Started keeping up with UT from the Florida game till today. He was always one of my heroes growing up and I even have the sports illustrated "Perfect T" issue with him on the cover framed at my house. I also wanted to see him as our next head coach before Pruitt. I am very happy with Pruitt and was hoping he would come to UT as OC. What changed my mind was his ungrateful and smart remarks about how he would never come to UT unless it was as head coach. I am new to posting on here and don't know how to share the link by you can look it up. It is in a knox news article from Dec. 13, 2017. It has the video of him saying that he was very clear he would only come to UT as head coach. The title of the article is Tee Martin: intrest in returning to Tennessee only as head coach. I am not making up anything. Look it up and listen to it yourself.
“It was a situation where if I was going to go back to Tennessee, it was to be as the head coach, not as a coordinator,” he said. “I made that message very clear. When I was out of that discussion, they moved on to do what they had to do.”

Well, you definitely picked a poster with tunnel-vision to argue with. Good luck!

Well, if the "only way he's coming back is as the HC" and UT told him "no thanks", then I'm siding with UT.

Perhaps Tee saw how much UT was struggling to find a head coach and thought he could take advantage of UT for a huge pay day (like Butch Jones did), but if Tee thinks that means he was treated badly, that's on him.

I would have seen that hire as a monumental failure on UTs part. Tee is too young and hasnt really proven much as a coach, especially enough to be hired as HC at a major football school. I personally dont like the idea of hiring ex-players. Very very very rarely does a great football player also become a great head coach.

Name the last player to lead a team to a national chmpionship and then go on to be a great head coach. I'm sure its been multiple decades ago. Coaching these days means so much more than just knowing football and its also more than just recruiting. You're the CEO of a corporation. You need leadership skills, organizational skills, public relations skills, problem solving skills, innovation skills, etc.

Just thank them for their time as a player and move on.

This...all day this...and I dont know why more people dont understand it, though ignorance rarely surprises me anymore.

Tee was a good player for us. Loved him in 1998. Was there at USCe when he completed 17? Passes in a row, then a record, and we lit the chickens up.

He has proved nothing as a coach..anywhere. other than he can get good recruits who happen to look a lot like him to come play where he gets his paycheck. There are lots of great recruiters. Have you seen the recruiting accolades on our current staff? We just signed kids that would never have even looked at us under any other coach in the last 10 years...the number 1 RB in the US as of last summer...coming off of a 5 and 7 season. We have recruiters. If Tee wants to come coach WR, so be it. Anything above that is us hiring based on feels and not good sense.

Why people cant separate Tee the player from Coach Martin, i have no idea.

Same clowns that want Peyton as HC every time we fire one...when he has never coached, ever, at any level. He would be a monumental failure...which is why he would never take the job

I will say that there is a good chance Peyton could come in as an OC, maybe, if he had a very experienced staff under him...but there would be a big learning curve. Coordinators are like a CEO of a small company with a dozen managers and 40 teenagers workingfor them. That job demands a manager skillset. Great time management, leadership, organizational skills, communication, delegating responsibilities...there are very few people with those skillsets...and great FB knowledge. Thats why they get paid millions, and work 16hr days....

But yeah!!! Lets get Tee and Peyton!!! Brilliant

I will forever be grateful to Tee but he has said some things that are contradictory to his actions. So he gladly takes a coordinator position at Louisville but not at UT. I think he has been humbled somewhat. He has gone from I will only accept the head coaching job at UT to becoming a coordinator at Louisville. I honestly think he thought he would get the USC gig. Times change and I'm sure they didn't work out for him but I will not hold it against him not coming here. Could you have imagined if we hired him as head coach and it didn't work out? It was a no win situation for UT for sure.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...e-martin-expected-to-join-acc-coaching-staff/

As the Tennessee Volunteers continue to search for a new offensive coordinator to replace Tyson Helton, former Vol QB Tee Martin is apparently moving on to an ACC school.

After being let go as USC’s offensive coordinator earlier this offseason, Martin has been looking to join a Power 5 staff, and it appears he’s found a new home.

Per a report from Appalachian State insider Tyler Rash, Louisville coach Scott Satterfield (hired recently after coaching at App State) is expected to hire Martin this week:

I really didn't think he'd leave the West Coast.
Maybe the schools on the West Coast have seen enough of him and were not interested in him.

I don't think it is a hate train. I think it is a fair evaluation of his lack of coaching talent and communication abilities.

I'm fine with him being wherever, no hard feelings think he is probably a good positions coach but let him prove his OC abilities somewhere else! We got enough ??? right now and would be nice to have a proven or experienced OC

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Well, if the "only way he's coming back is as the HC" and UT told him "no thanks", then I'm siding with UT.

Perhaps Tee saw how much UT was struggling to find a head coach and thought he could take advantage of UT for a huge pay day (like Butch Jones did), but if Tee thinks that means he was treated badly, that's on him.

I would have seen that hire as a monumental failure on UTs part. Tee is too young and hasnt really proven much as a coach, especially enough to be hired as HC at a major football school. I personally dont like the idea of hiring ex-players. Very very very rarely does a great football player also become a great head coach.

Name the last player to lead a team to a national chmpionship and then go on to be a great head coach. I'm sure its been multiple decades ago. Coaching these days means so much more than just knowing football and its also more than just recruiting. You're the CEO of a corporation. You need leadership skills, organizational skills, public relations skills, problem solving skills, innovation skills, etc.

Just thank them for their time as a player and move on.
Scott Frost

After moving 20 years ago from Knoxville to North Carolina near the campus of App. state for a new job I learned one thing about the App State football coaches. They would have been great hires here at UT( jerry Moore or Scott Satterfield) Coach Martin will be in absolutely great hands with a well rounded and sensible coach such as Scott Satterfield.
This is coach was absolutely great with the media , the public and the academic relationship his team members demonstrate. Personally I think that this association with Coach Satterfield is the best move for Coach Martin rather than jumping into another arena filled with rumor and drama from all sides surrounding Tennessee football
I was really pushing for Satterfield last year. Guy would have killed it at Ut.

i asked you for links to what you claim, not quotes

Scott Frost

I'm not sure I'm ready to throw Scott Frost's name out there with Phil Fulmer and Steve Spurrier. Is he a good coach, yeah probably. Has he earned "great coach" status yet? No.

Let's see if he resurrects Nebraska football and has them contending for a playoff spot.

Reactions: VolNExile
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...e-martin-expected-to-join-acc-coaching-staff/

As the Tennessee Volunteers continue to search for a new offensive coordinator to replace Tyson Helton, former Vol QB Tee Martin is apparently moving on to an ACC school.

After being let go as USC’s offensive coordinator earlier this offseason, Martin has been looking to join a Power 5 staff, and it appears he’s found a new home.

Per a report from Appalachian State insider Tyler Rash, Louisville coach Scott Satterfield (hired recently after coaching at App State) is expected to hire Martin this week:

I really didn't think he'd leave the West Coast.
He would choose Louisville over Knoxville? I know... he probably didn't have a choice, but.... Louisville?

Reactions: dduncan4163

VN Store

Back