Team News (current roster)

Uhm what? He’s literally the definition of a true PG.
I wouldn't say Zakai is a pass-first guy. That’s not a knock on him. Of course, his assists are going to be down because of KC, but he averaged 2.7 assists last year compared to Chandler’s 4.7. I guess it depends on your definition of a true PG.

I wouldn't say Zakai is a pass-first guy. That’s not a knock on him. Of course, his assists are going to be down because of KC, but he averaged 2.7 assists last year compared to Chandler’s 4.7. I guess it depends on your definition of a true PG.
He also played fewer minutes, I’m guessing he’s over 4.7 this year…you mention starting Vescovi, not like he’s thrown up big assist numbers.

Key is also an off ball guy. So, no. I know we'll run sets without Zakai obviously. But, he is your starting PG. That is not in question at this point. You don't start your guys at positions that aren't their natural spot.
This team would just be so much better with Zakai as the sixth man. It would be much better for Zakai too. in my opinion.

The issue with Santi at the 1 vs Zakai at the 1 doesn’t have a ton to do with assist numbers. Santi simply couldn’t get to spots on the floor that he needed to get to in order to get the offense running. Zakai gets to where he needs to.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

I agree. Zakai did not arrive on campus a true PG. Zakai was a shooter and a hardnosed defender. His work ethic, drive, and Barnes coaching is what will turn him into a PG.
I wasn't impressed early on in the season of him offensively, but he continued to get better and has a legitmate shot at being an all-time favorite for Vol fans. I can't remember how many highlights I showed my son of him this year of his fearlessness.

KC had 4.7 assists in 30.8 min per game on average, or .153 Assists per minute. ZZ had 2.7 APG in 22.1 mpg, for .122 APM.

If ZZ had played 30.8 mpg, his assists would have been 3.8 per game. That's not elite but not bad for a true freshman learning the position and coming off the bench.

VN Store

Back