Team News (current roster)

Ok, Bruin. If you can't read my post and determine that I have admitted everything you claimed I haven't, then you're either obtuse or as usual, being argumentative.

Seriously?

You admitted our depth was a issue. So yea that’s saying we suffered from a lack of talent. We didn’t have enough of it. Having kent, walker(late unexpected departure) uros and pember and Olivier was the issue.

Lol

He sure isn’t a wing...Not a diss either. If he finds his stroke a stretch 4 can be lethal. Just have to play around the weaknesses.

His game in HS was closer to that of a 3. Had to go in and rebound but did not spend a lot fime with his back to the basket. Had a better than average handle as I believe they said began his HS career as a guard.

Vols Player of the Game ? I'm going with Fulk, 18 points and 10 rebounds with Springer a close 2nd, 15 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds. Anybody else ?

Tennessee has a crack at a signature non-conference win this weekend against Kansas. With the Jayhawks having lost three straight prior to Thursday night’s win over TCU and Tennessee dropping two last week some of the luster has been removed from this match-up. Tennessee has been out rebounded and has shot 40% from the floor in each of the past three games. Those aren’t numbers that suggest everything is fine and dandy.
From Rick Barnes’ point of view one of the Vols’ biggest problems at the moment is John Fulkerson not performing like the head coach expects. Barnes lit into both his seniors two weeks ago and Yves Pons has responded with two of his best offensive games of the season while continue to play at an elite level on defense. Fulkerson, on the other hand, hasn’t even taken a shot in the first half of either of the last two games and scored 11 combined points against Missouri and Mississippi State. The Vols need more than that if they’re going to beat the best teams on their schedule.
-VQ

Word through the grapevine was that Thursday’s film session and practice were both arduous. Rick Barnes won’t follow that up with a grind session on Friday, he always eases back the day before a game, but Thursday was a rough one by all accounts. Now we’ll see how Tennessee responds against a Kentucky team that has been an utter disappointment but does have some talent.
What Kentucky doesn’t have is solid guard play, which is what has been the common denominator in the Vols’ three SEC losses to Alabama, Missouri and Ole Miss. The most interesting thing to me at this point is whether or not Barnes will pivot and start leaning more on Jaden Springer and Keon Johnson. He should from my perspective, but that remains to be seen.
-Vq

Agree with the last 2 sentences. For the season to be a success and in order to get a good seed, we simply must rely on Springer and Johnson more than in past games.

We should be able to design more plays for both freshmen and hopefully both will grow with the experience before March.

With Fulky disappearing, we will need to depend more on Pons and the two freshmen to help win the close games. IMO we need to have two of the 3 players on the floor at all times.

It's clear to me, as @orangemadam said above that we have to give Springer and Johnson more of a role in the offense. We're now 16 games into the season, it's clear John Fulkerson isn't the player he was last year. I'm not sure what has happened, but outside of Pons recent hotstreak we have ZERO threat inside.

Need to design some plays that allow Springer to play to his strengths (literally he is very strong) such as driving to the whole and his mid-range floater. And to get Keon some more off-the-bounce looks as right now it seems like he is forcing to many drives to the hole and then missing a very contested layup. He needs some more misdirection to get him some open looks.

Reactions: berryvol
It's clear to me, as @orangemadam said above that we have to give Springer and Johnson more of a role in the offense. We're now 16 games into the season, it's clear John Fulkerson isn't the player he was last year. I'm not sure what has happened, but outside of Pons recent hotstreak we have ZERO threat inside.

Need to design some plays that allow Springer to play to his strengths (literally he is very strong) such as driving to the whole and his mid-range floater. And to get Keon some more off-the-bounce looks as right now it seems like he is forcing to many drives to the hole and then missing a very contested layup. He needs some more misdirection to get him some open looks.
Johnson and Springer combined to go 3/13 the other night, I’m not sure our problem was them not shooting enough.

This is going to be a very controversial take, but ORN should start over Fulk Saturday. Send a message.

Reactions: Hbg
This is going to be a very controversial take, but ORN should start over Fulk Saturday. Send a message.
Controversial for a reason Dallas, haha. He's been off but he's given us much better minutes than ON, and Im not assuming this is the kind of game where we can afford to "send messages" without losing. John also hung 26 on them less than a year ago in Lexington

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back