TEAM IS GETTING BETTER

We are the best in the SEC at throwing lob passes after telegraphing where they're going.

We also play slow and lazy when dribbling downcourt.

Ok, I was very critical of the Harper hire, but had a lot of optimism that she could turn it around. I do see a better chemistry on this team from an interpersonal perspective, but not much improvement on the court. The fact that this team has two players who were top 5 recruits (Rennia and Jordan) and several others who were top 25 in their respective class (Kasi, Rae, Jazmin) tells me that there is a serious coaching deficiency. To have 23 turnovers this late in the season is completely unacceptable. Post play on offense is virtually non-existent, and lack of fundamentals like boxing out, screen and roll, and hard cuts to the basket continue to be embarrassing. You cannot blame players for doing their best in a new system, but the level of raw talent that is on this team is something that can be harnessed to what should be an SEC 2nd or 3rd place level. I like coach Harper as a person and am very thankful for what she was able to help the program accomplish as a player. But you have to wonder what a Jeff Walz, Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey, or even Coach Neighbors could get out of this team. If you watched the game last night, contrast the energy and enthusiasm of the Arkansas staff vs ours. Not even close. We all wanted the fire and drive of Pat Summit in our new coach, I just don't see it consistently. I don't care if we went 10-19 on the season, if a player continues to make simple mistakes such as telegraphing passes, not boxing out, or taking possessions off, Pat would have sat their butts on the bench to teach them the priviledge of playing in a Lady Vols uniform. More accountability needs to happen. This losing streak looks a lot like Holly's last year from a pure coaching perspective. I don't think the team gave up or simply dialed it in. I think they are longing for the discipline needed to help elevate their game.
I am willing to give coach Harper a chance - one season doesn't mean she doesn't have 'IT', but at the same time, allowing players to continue to under perform with little accountability does not bring confidence to this Lady Vols fan of 35+ years. CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them. Again, the amount of talent on this team is really top 10 if you look at individual recruiting rankings. It's time to step up, hold these players accountable and instill that Pat Summit mentality of either produce on the court, or sit on the bench!
Just a thought. If Pat were coaching today, how many kids would transfer out? I can think of several that clashed with Pat, especially early in their career. At the height of her career, kids did not transfer. Nothing criticizing your post at all, just noting times change.

Reactions: krichunaka
Jessie Rennie seems much improved. She's finding ways to get open, and she made fundamentally sound, crisp passes last night. It seems that she is catching up to the speed of the game. She's a gamer, as she proved when she took the charge on that 4-on-1 break a couple of games ago.

I think she was open right after hitting consecutive threes when Jordan chose to spin into the lane against two defenders and traveled. Poor decision.

Last edited:
Improvement is happening... we are right there... need to get over the hump!!!
What specifically are we improving on?
If you cant see it,I cant help ya ...

You can't help me? Sure you can. I'm just asking your opinion.You started a thread stating we are improving. I didn't say you were wrong. I'm no basketball expert, just a casual fan. Maybe we are improving. I understand in sports it's possible to be improving and it not show up right away in the final score. I'm just asking you to give a couple specific areas where you see improvement.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Ok, I was very critical of the Harper hire, but had a lot of optimism that she could turn it around. I do see a better chemistry on this team from an interpersonal perspective, but not much improvement on the court. The fact that this team has two players who were top 5 recruits (Rennia and Jordan) and several others who were top 25 in their respective class (Kasi, Rae, Jazmin) tells me that there is a serious coaching deficiency. To have 23 turnovers this late in the season is completely unacceptable. Post play on offense is virtually non-existent, and lack of fundamentals like boxing out, screen and roll, and hard cuts to the basket continue to be embarrassing. You cannot blame players for doing their best in a new system, but the level of raw talent that is on this team is something that can be harnessed to what should be an SEC 2nd or 3rd place level. I like coach Harper as a person and am very thankful for what she was able to help the program accomplish as a player. But you have to wonder what a Jeff Walz, Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey, or even Coach Neighbors could get out of this team. If you watched the game last night, contrast the energy and enthusiasm of the Arkansas staff vs ours. Not even close. We all wanted the fire and drive of Pat Summit in our new coach, I just don't see it consistently. I don't care if we went 10-19 on the season, if a player continues to make simple mistakes such as telegraphing passes, not boxing out, or taking possessions off, Pat would have sat their butts on the bench to teach them the priviledge of playing in a Lady Vols uniform. More accountability needs to happen. This losing streak looks a lot like Holly's last year from a pure coaching perspective. I don't think the team gave up or simply dialed it in. I think they are longing for the discipline needed to help elevate their game.
I am willing to give coach Harper a chance - one season doesn't mean she doesn't have 'IT', but at the same time, allowing players to continue to under perform with little accountability does not bring confidence to this Lady Vols fan of 35+ years. CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them. Again, the amount of talent on this team is really top 10 if you look at individual recruiting rankings. It's time to step up, hold these players accountable and instill that Pat Summit mentality of either produce on the court, or sit on the bench!

I don't think Harper has had enough time yet to show what she can accomplish. OTOH, I think the coaching staff as a whole needs to take more accountability for our post play, or lack thereof. Besides Key's shot-blocking abilities and McCoy's hustle plays, our posts collectively don't contribute much on either end of the court. We need a top-notch post coach on the staff asap.

I agree that they are definitely improving each game. Yes the turnovers are a problem, and unfortunately probably won’t be completely improved until next season. We have underclassmen running PG and our best player is learning on the job on how to step up and be a vocal leader. I’m not sure why so many think a Freshman should just get better because they have played 20+ games. Unfortunately for some it takes longer to make the transition no matter how athletic or highly rated. This teams OOC schedule did not do them any favors and Coach Harper knew that would be the case. One of the main reasons our turnovers have not improved is because our players did not face the speed and athleticism they are seeing now until it was almost time for conference play. Had they had a tougher OOC schedule then I think the turnovers would have improved at a much better rate. As far as the post players, offensively I think they will get better. None of them came in world beaters on offense. I’ve noticed Key trying to make post moves, but unfortunately she’s just not strong enough right now. They all do a great job of sealing their players on post moves to open up lanes for driving guards. I’ve noticed this by several of them in multiple games. This is something we did not do a good job of in the past. Defensively they have been holding their own against some very good post players. Jon has had great post players in the past, so let’s give him time. I’m extremely hopeful and think the future is bright.

I think we should give some credit to our team for showing a little fire late to close within striking distance and basically making it a six-point loss (the final foul with 3 seconds left just gifted them two points to pad the MOV)

If Lou or Rennia hit open threes late, we have a nail-biter.

We could have just folded when down 16, especially when self-inflicted wounds killed momentum each time we were rallying. But we didn't, and we made Neighbors and Arky sweat on a night when most things were going their way.

The light bulb may not have totally come on, but at least it's flickering. I thought Rennia might totally check out when she was talking to herself and visibly frustrated by the calls, but she regrouped. And, despite the turnovers, there are stretches when the most frequent turnover offenders stay focused and take care of the ball.

If the team realizes that every possession is important (what Kellie has been preaching) and how close they are to becoming a really good team, maybe it will all click. If we had shot FT against A&M like we did against Arkansas, we win. If we went small ball a bit earlier against Arkansas, we likely win. It's just a matter of putting all the pieces together at the same time...and, of course, protecting the ball.

I watched Virginia Tech/Notre Dame game last night. Tech plays an up tempo high low offense with a 6'5" freshman operating at the foul line. She doesn't mess around. There is a forward moving around the blocks and usually receives the ball pretty quickly in a position where she can shoot and make layups quickly. All the guards are constantly moving , looking for openings to shoot threes or cut for layups.
I think the TN players could do the up tempo thing, but Key/Rennia are not ready to do the high low. It could sort of be disguised though, with the guards being the offense as they move in coordinated ways to get open shots. Of course, you need consistent shooters to make this work. I enjoyed Tech's offense. (The third Mabrey sister plays for Tech.)

This team is just not a top 20 caliber team and its for all the reasons being said in this thread. For those who can see improvement, then good for you. Hope your just not seeing what you want to see because I think they are a mediocre team at best right now. And a little disappointed in KJH's coaching to this point. But there's always next year right, the TN mantra.

I just hope that the Vols have some remarkable facilities to show recruits because tradition at U.T. is no longer a factor. Most of these young ladies can remember only the last few years of women's b.b. As far as Tennessee goes, that's the dark ages.

Reactions: mcannon1
I agree that they are definitely improving each game. Yes the turnovers are a problem, and unfortunately probably won’t be completely improved until next season. We have underclassmen running PG and our best player is learning on the job on how to step up and be a vocal leader. I’m not sure why so many think a Freshman should just get better because they have played 20+ games. Unfortunately for some it takes longer to make the transition no matter how athletic or highly rated. This teams OOC schedule did not do them any favors and Coach Harper knew that would be the case. One of the main reasons our turnovers have not improved is because our players did not face the speed and athleticism they are seeing now until it was almost time for conference play. Had they had a tougher OOC schedule then I think the turnovers would have improved at a much better rate. As far as the post players, offensively I think they will get better. None of them came in world beaters on offense. I’ve noticed Key trying to make post moves, but unfortunately she’s just not strong enough right now. They all do a great job of sealing their players on post moves to open up lanes for driving guards. I’ve noticed this by several of them in multiple games. This is something we did not do a good job of in the past. Defensively they have been holding their own against some very good post players. Jon has had great post players in the past, so let’s give him time. I’m extremely hopeful and think the future is bright.
Hope so.

Lady Vols' Key erases ‘a lot of mistakes’ with blocked shots her offensive game will get better over the summer she will have a chance to work with some of the best to play the game !
If she puts in the work it takes she will be AA and a top pick in draft. Right now though she doesn't understand how to post and move her feet correctly. She ties herself up. That is why she was a top 40 player not top 5 out of high school. Good post. IN CHRIST ALONE

Reactions: luballer
We played tougher tonight but unfortunately our biggest problem, turnovers, was even worse than usual.
Harris, in particular, has shown a lot of heart and positions herself very well. But she has a problem. Upper body strength lacking and opposition seems to recognize this and
play through her. Regrettably she doesn't need to play. Even her shots lack strength. A suggestion would be for her to aim at the back of the rim when shooting. When oppositon
is constantly ripping through the zone for easy baskets she should not try to save herself from the bench and block out in a positive manner.

Reactions: Memvol44
I think they'd end the season at 26-3 or 25-4. Even with Zaay injured, there is a LOT of talent on this team.
"there is a LOT of talent on this team". I agree with this statement with this addition to Limited Talent. The freshmen are limited in experience and the other players are limited by the level of play they have been allowed to accomplish. Time will fix most of these problems if you will allow the time necessary for this to happen.

You make a lot of great points but in my opinion you miss the boat on others.

People continue to talk about the good to great talent on this team. I just think that position is laughable. There may 1 or maybe 2 players on the roster that looks like WNBA material as of today. Now that could change with continued progress.

Davis has the WNBA talent but she doesn't appear to have the "it" factor. She disappears, doesn't hustle sometimes and appear to struggle with game awareness. Horston is young and could develop into a premier player eventhough she is struggling trying to do too much.

I won't make negative comments about others on the team but I am not impressed as high level players or maybe they were forced into action to early due to bad recruiting and are paying for it.

The comment "CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them" is where I have an issue with Harper. There is no evidence that she can recruit at a high level. So if you are struggling in this area you tend to be concerned about running players off. Plus, I think it takes time to change bad culture which is what she inherited.

Reactions: vettefool and Volle
Some teams can bear the luxury of a point guard who does a good job of running the team with low or no personal responsibility to score often. Massengill can be a key player and an asset badly needed by looking to score.
She has shown how she can turn on scoring when all else seems to be failing. If she can find a "killer instinct" for total time she is on the floor she can be a badly needed spark. She is quick and tall and can follow the ball in
when she misses. This will improve the many rebounds being missed that fly away from directly beneath the goal. She is good at using two hands to catch rebounds whereas we seem to have some players with a tendency to be
one handed. In doing this it will open up opportunities for Davis and Horton who are targets of heavy guarding.

This is a different kind of team then what Pat would have recruited. Very different. Let's ask ourselves this truthful
question, which of these players would be Lady Vols
if Pat was still coaching?
Which one on the coaching staff would be sitting on her bench?
Harper can't do what Pat would or could ' cause she's not
Pat Summitt. Pat could stare hellfire into the devil and
make him wanna take a bath to come clean.
Harper will be alright in time. Everybody has their own
way of doing things. Me and you too.

What specifically are we improving on?

Statistically - Defense

NCAA Ranking summary stats for D1 - UT has gone from ranked 22nd in offense this same time two years ago to 40th in offense last year to 65th in offense this year. However, the team's defense has improved significantly from 171st two years ago, to 250th last year to 65th this year. That's a huge plus, especially for those that believe that defense is the key to winning. The killer for UT, as so many have commented on, is turnovers. The team's turnover stats are pretty bad. They were ranked 229th in 2018, 152nd in 2019 and this year so far are ranked 252nd.

Statistically - Defense

NCAA Ranking summary stats for D1 - UT has gone from ranked 22nd in offense this same time two years ago to 40th in offense last year to 65th in offense this year. However, the team's defense has improved significantly from 171st two years ago, to 250th last year to 65th this year. That's a huge plus, especially for those that believe that defense is the key to winning. The killer for UT, as so many have commented on, is turnovers. The team's turnover stats are pretty bad. They were ranked 229th in 2018, 152nd in 2019 and this year so far are ranked 252nd.

I took the OP to mean we are showing improvement as this season progresses, playing better now than early in this season. Maybe he/she did mean improvement from last year to this.

"CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them"
Wait, do we know for sure ole Kell's not stomping her some omelets in practice and in the locker room? Just because we don't see it doesn't mean its not happening. She has plenty of conversations with players during games. Just because she doesn't showboat it doesn't mean she's not being firm with them. And what exactly is it you want her to do to them? I never understand the suggestion that the players will only play as hard as they have to in order not to get yelled at by the coach.
Some teams can bear the luxury of a point guard who does a good job of running the team with low or no personal responsibility to score often. Massengill can be a key player and an asset badly needed by looking to score.
She has shown how she can turn on scoring when all else seems to be failing. If she can find a "killer instinct" for total time she is on the floor she can be a badly needed spark. She is quick and tall and can follow the ball in
when she misses. This will improve the many rebounds being missed that fly away from directly beneath the goal. She is good at using two hands to catch rebounds whereas we seem to have some players with a tendency to be
one handed. In doing this it will open up opportunities for Davis and Horton who are targets of heavy guarding.
LOL maybe Jaz, like me, is so thrilled with the "good job running the team" part she's afraid to push it too far. Seriously, she has shown some scoring potential but sure doesn't seem to seek out scoring opportunities. Sure would help, especially as long as both Rae and Jordan are still a bit inconsistent. Any and every credible scoring threat is a big help to Davis.

VN Store

Back