TBT Tournament - Dream Vols Roster

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Anybody else catch this tourney on ESPN? It's a winner-take-all $2M prize and a lot of the teams are loosely affiliated with schools, for example Jared Sullinger is leading the Scarlett & Gray team.

I think this is a cool idea and has some potential to grow into a big deal. I'm excited to watch Jimmer Fredette having attended BYU.

So what Vols team would you put together for the tourney? No NBA players, obviously. I'd love to see Chism and Lofton again.

Starting 5:

CJ Watson
Chris Lofton
Josh Richardson
Tobias Harris
Jarnell Stokes

Bench:

Kevin Punter
Jordan McRae
Scotty Hopson
Tyler Smith
Wayne Chism

I don’t think you guys are understanding the OP lol. Current players still playing that aren't playing in the NBA.

Reactions: 1 person
Give me

Watson
Lofton
McRae
Armani Moore
Stokes

Hubbs
Hopson
Chism
Punter
Tyler Smith

If we could get Duke Crews and Ramar Smith out on bond I’d throw them in there too.

Watson
Lofton
McRae
Chism
Stokes

Thats some shooting right there
Good starting five. I might not play Stokes and Chism together much. Give me JaJuan Smith, Punter, Scotty Hopson, JP Prince off the bench. Brian Williams would be a good addition as well If he’s still playing

Quarterfinal schedule today

I love the rule for the end of the game. They turn the clock off with 4 minutes left. They take the higher score and add 7 points. So if it's 83-79, then no clock and you play to 90. It's a cool idea because no fouling strategy to stop the clock. Fouling is the worst thing you can do.

Screenshot_20180729-072236_Chrome.jpg

I love the rule for the end of the game. They turn the clock off with 4 minutes left. They take the higher score and add 7 points. So if it's 83-79, then no clock and you play to 90. It's a cool idea because no fouling strategy to stop the clock. Fouling is the worst thing you can do.

View attachment 160812

Interestingly, I think there would still be scenarios where fouling comes into play. For example, if the other team has a ~%50 free throw shooter, it may be better to put them on the line than risk the other team getting a quality shot, especially if your team is not efficient defensively. This could be a huge downer for the team trying to come back. If their best player is a poor free throw shooter, the team winning might foul him to slow down any attempt at a comeback.

Also, if you are up in your example say, 89-87, you could take advantage of fouling the other team to deny them a shot at a 3-pointer for the win.

It's an interesting format, but I could still see games happening where fouling is a crucial part of down-the-stretch play, which I hate.

IDK, intentionally fouling is a risky strategy which appeals to teams in part because it stops the clock, but there is no clock so a bunch of the appeal is diminished. If you've got a poor FT shooter deep in the post, yeah, foul him.

View attachment 160812

That end of game rule is unique, but a bit too much time IMO. If the game is so close I could see something like that working, especially if it was "you must win by X points" similar to Tennis. But in the NBA (and even college sometimes) the point swings that can happen in 4 minutes are otherworldly. Not even counting T mac and Reggie Miller, you have guys like Eddie House who scored 15 points in just 8 minutes or Steve Henson who did 14 points in just under five. And we've all seen Lebron, Durant, even Melo or Harden score what, 10+ straight possessions or so? Just too much variance in that time.

Would have been nice to see S. Hopson on this team. He's looked really sharp for Melbourne.

VN Store

Back