Tavis Ford...

hatvol96

apparently headed to Oklahoma State. That would explain him abruptly pulling out of consideration for the Providence job. If this is true, John Calipari's staff may take another hit. He's already lost Chuck Martin to Marist and I've got to think Derek Kellogg would be high on the UMASS list.

Is Providence really a better job than UMass though?

And, I think Hat has already indicated that he is not very impressed with Ford. Hat, would OSU be making another Pelphreyesque hire?

what do you think of the Ford hire, hat?
Given my utter personal disdain for Ford and his father, it's tough for me to be objective. I haven't seen anything out of Ford's teams at Eastern or UMASS that indicate he's going to do that well in the Big XII. This is the equivalent of Arkansas hiring John Pelhrey. Why do you drive out Sean Sutton to replace him with Travis Ford?

Given my utter personal disdain for Ford and his father, it's tough for me to be objective. I haven't seen anything out of Ford's teams at Eastern or UMASS that indicate he's going to do that well in the Big XII. This is the equivalent of Arkansas hiring John Pelhrey. Why do you drive out Sean Sutton to replace him with Travis Ford?

They probably didn't know who they would be getting when they pushed out Sutton Junior.

I'd love to hear some details on the Fords.

They probably didn't know who they would be getting when they pushed out Sutton Junior.

I'd love to hear some details on the Fords.
His dad was a wannabe power player in summer hoops. He helped orchestrate Lawrence Funderburke's transfer from Indiana and pulled Travis out of Missouri because Norm Stewart was going to make him earn his minutes. I just can't stomach the Fords. I get a big kick out of how all the Kentucky fans love Travis, given that he intially spurned Kentucky and only came back after the ship got righted.

It seems like Ford's transfer would have been more about getting to UK after the ship was righted than anything else - hence, I do agree with that last sentence.

I think that is a common perspective among those that know them, and one with which I find myself agreeing.

People that "know" the family share that very same perspective. Most of the UK fans I know are not thrilled with the idea of Ford ever coaching at UK.

People that "know" the family share that very same perspective. Most of the UK fans I know are not thrilled with the idea of Ford ever coaching at UK.

I don't really know Travis' coaching ability, other than the fact that he had some moderate success (and a losing record) at Eastern and had back-to-back NIT appearances at UMass. I do know both he and Eddie, although admittedly I haven't had a lot of contact with them in several years. Leave it to say that I am completely ambivalent as to whether Travis has any success as a coach, and hold several reservations as to whether his personality will allow him to do so.

His acting career might be his best chance at stardom, though:p

VN Store

Back