Targeting Hit KO’s JG, No Flag

If there was targeting on that play it should've been on #10 for USC who hit Jennings in the head, IMO.

It's a little amazing how some penalties are so one sided ... especially when they are supposed all about safety. Another in particular is the face mask penalty ... like the uncalled one last night. There were actually two face masks with hands wrapped around them on that play - perhaps it was uncalled to avoid the absurdity of calling one but not the other a penalty. If a face mask is a safety issue for the runner then how is a good stiff arm to the face or face mask grab to the defender not also a safety issue? How can a runner lowering his head contribute less to targeting than the defensive player leading with his helmet? Targeting in general ignores simple anatomy - when running forward (ignoring arm placement), the head is generally the first part of the upper anatomy to get there ... it's really hard to go center of mass with the head behind the shoulder without a body redesign. Too many new rules seem to be in place simply to make the game easier for the offense and to increase the scoring celebrations for fans. Football has always been a defensive game ... not a TD parade.

I am not sure of the exact rule but generally a hand just making contact with a face mask is not a penalty. At one point there was an unintentional facemask which was 5 yards then a unsportsmanlike grab and use it to turn or otherwise bring some one down, 15 yard penalty. The offensive player "stiff arm" is using the arm and a flat hand a battering ram not to grab and manipulate the facemask in order to tackle.

Doesn't launching mean leaving your feet? His feet never left the ground. That was almost a textbook tackle.

Think it means when you thrust your body towards another, don’t know if it has to be off the ground or not tho. I’m sure Hubert will come back in here and tell me if it’s accurate or not. Looked to me like he pushed off with his plant foot to launch his upper body into JGs chest. Again, jus my two cent.

Watch this play again and you'll see another one in the background from their D-lineman. Got all kinds of facemask and they missed it also. The freaking refs were asleep half of this game!
How was the hit on JJ in the endzone TD catch not unsportsmanlike, by hitting a defenseless player? This rule if fricked up!

Im a 7 year TSSAA official and I have been taught this on the HS level with multiple trainings with videos breaking down targeting and non targeting hits. So I have a lot more than a damn clue! How much training have you had? I would guess none. You can't pull one or two elements of the rule and make it targeting. He was hit in his chest, not the head or neck! The rule was put into place to prevent concussions from hits to the head! If I Was on the field no targeting on JG. On Tyler Byrd's hit early in the second half, that was targeting and should have been called. In HS I'd throw that flag all day long and have at least a dozen times in the past year. Byrd was defenseless, the defender had room to avoid him but continued and threw a hard forearm into the side of Byrd's head. That meets all elements of the rule! If you don't have contact above the shoulders it isn't going to be called. Thats why Moseley's hit on the KY WR in KY was overturned to no targeting because he hit him in the shoulder not the head or neck! But please continue to see what you want to see. Where is your outrage for Byrd or is it just for JG???
You are either not able to read and understand or you are lying about being a "TSSAA Ref" the 4th bullet that you posted and have been on here telling making a fool of yourself about clearly states lowering the crown of helmet and making a tackle is targeting. Now I find it hard to believe you have studied this for 7 years and you still don't get it our maybe this is the problem with refs you all can't read and comprehend the rule book. My theory is you are just a guy on here and you lied about being a ref cause you thought it would help give you credibility. It's not working.

Reactions: 4chrissy

VN Store

Back