Targeting Hit KO’s JG, No Flag

Sorry but no its not. The hit was in the chest area not the neck or shoulders. No I didn't like seeing our QB take the hit but by the rules its not.
Are you saying that Bituli hit the Alabama player in the head for his targeting penalty? Or are you saying you might not know the rule book as well as you thought?

Are you saying that Bituli hit the Alabama player in the head for his targeting penalty? Or are you saying you might not know the rule book as well as you thought?
Exactly. I looked up the rules a while back and am amazed at the people commenting who obviously don’t know the rule.

Reactions: AM64
My reply is about the hit on JG the QB. He wasn't hit in the head or neck as the rule states. It doesn't say being hit in the chest, it specifically states head and neck area. Didn't see the Bituli hit in the Bama game. This thread is about the JG hit. JG's head is fine his wrist is broke because it was in front of his chest when hit was hit in the chest not his head. I hate that he got hit at all. Me posting the rule is simply to bring clarity to all of you claiming a no targeting call when there wasn't one. Why aren't you complaining about the Byrd hit in the 2nd half?!? On that hit you have a case for targeting. You had a defenseless player and a late forcible hit with a forearm to the head. I was angry more over that one than the one your complaining about.

Yikes.... I had not seen any pics on the hit and I was looking downfield..... This is a real problem for the officials, especially the replay guys who could have buzzed down..... letting ours stand and not flagging this one, at least for a review, is simply awful application of the rules.

He launched and used the crown of his helmet to initiate contact with a defenseless player..... did not meet the other rule where you contact the helmet with almost any other body part.....

I seem to remember the league can go back and retroactively impose the player to sit out the next game even if not flagged live.... but sometimes I mix up college and pro rules.. Pruitt should push that if it is the rule..... the top of the helmet broke his wrist for gosh sakes...

Targeting by rule
Steve Shaw in Birmingham is over SEC Refs. If he does not formally apologize targeting was not called we should jam his switchboard ‭(205) 458-3000‬

Don't forget the guys looking down the line from each sideline. At least 2 refs had to have seen this. When it's this blatant, you start to wonder if it's really just an mistake or if it's deliberate.
Refs saw it. They didn’t call it to get back at CJP for calling their sorry asses out

Reactions: rocytop2624
Not targeting but 100 percent a late hit.

One defender who was closer had time to stop and avoid the other defender who went into full blown spear mode after the ball was released.
You are crazy!
Launched and hit with crown of helmet. Does not have to be helmet to helmet

If we are simply going off the the rule that has been posted......all day long it was targeting.

*Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet

I don’t see where it specifies head or neck on that last one. And if I remember correctly, didn’t we lose someone at Alabama for “targeting” on a hit with the crown of the helmet in the shoulder/back area.....hummmm seems like we did.

Last edited:
Sorry but no its not. The hit was in the chest area not the neck or shoulders. No I didn't like seeing our QB take the hit but by the rules its not.
Look at what I highlighted it say's you can't lead with the crown of the helmet that would have been called to protect the tackler and a late hit get a clue dude!

Reactions: 4chrissy
Exactly. I looked up the rules a while back and am amazed at the people commenting who obviously don’t know the rule.

I think that's somewhat understandable; for a fast moving game with a lot of contact and the possibility of penalties well away from the ball, the rules seem to be overly complex. You need rules for fairness and rules for safety, but some rules just don't make sense.

The face mask is a great example; if it's for safety, then a runner shouldn't be able to grab a defenders face mask or strong arm him in the face either.

Holding is another. Offensive linemen should have to act like bumper cars ... no grabbing with the hands anywhere or interlocking arms just to simplify the penalty call, but that leads to better defense, and doesn't keep the scoreboard going like a pinball machine.

Targeting has been a problem since it's inception because it's not simple enough - it sounds simple on paper, but every week on the field there's a big debate over what is and what isn't targeting, so obviously the paper and conference table version doesn't equate well with what happens in the game. If two people, reasonably knowledgeable with the rules, can look at the same event and come to different opinions then there's a problem with the rule. If officiating is tough, why complicate it with more and more complex rules. KISS needs to be the overriding rule.

If we are simply going off the the rule that has been posted......all day long it was targeting.

*Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet

I don’t see where it specifies head or neck on that last one. And if I remember correctly, didn’t we lose someone at Alabama for “targeting” on a hit with the crown of the helmet in the shoulder/back area.....hummmm seems like we did.
You dang right.

Reactions: 4chrissy
I’m trying to to understand just like everyone else. From what I can see:
This is targeting:
FA0CBCC7-8001-4580-8D3B-BEAC197FADBA.jpeg

This is not targeting:
D2BCC089-4E10-4F10-BD22-8DBD9D3827BF.jpeg
2EB0D84D-FD36-4F42-A317-B4ABA6B80FD2.jpeg

Look at what I highlighted it say's you can't lead with the crown of the helmet that would have been called to protect the tackler and a late hit get a clue dude!
Im a 7 year TSSAA official and I have been taught this on the HS level with multiple trainings with videos breaking down targeting and non targeting hits. So I have a lot more than a damn clue! How much training have you had? I would guess none. You can't pull one or two elements of the rule and make it targeting. He was hit in his chest, not the head or neck! The rule was put into place to prevent concussions from hits to the head! If I Was on the field no targeting on JG. On Tyler Byrd's hit early in the second half, that was targeting and should have been called. In HS I'd throw that flag all day long and have at least a dozen times in the past year. Byrd was defenseless, the defender had room to avoid him but continued and threw a hard forearm into the side of Byrd's head. That meets all elements of the rule! If you don't have contact above the shoulders it isn't going to be called. Thats why Moseley's hit on the KY WR in KY was overturned to no targeting because he hit him in the shoulder not the head or neck! But please continue to see what you want to see. Where is your outrage for Byrd or is it just for JG???

Just my two cents ... I think the SEC training has introduced a bias to the officials ... the favorite gets the benefit of a doubt.

Now, I am also sure, that coaches can turn the stripe shirts against your team ... BY the way you talk to them... depends on the nature of the officials and how nasty a coach gets.

The message we should be sending to the SEC office ... is close your mouth about the times you get it right ... Let's discuss the number of times your referees FAILED TO MAKE A CALL - HOW MANY MISSED CALLS ARE THEY COMMITTING PER GAME!!! Your little diatribe last week did not address ... missed calls AT ALL.

Frankly, the very fact that they felt compelled to issue a statement is a clear indication of how bad it really was and still is. JMHO

You highlighted the part about Head or neck on the first three bullet points. Didn't you notice that part is NOT included in the fourth bullet point?

"Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet."

VN Store

Back