Targeting Hit KO’s JG, No Flag

Just a thought but does anyone have info on targeting calls by team? I'd be interested to see how many PF and targeting calls on Bama.

The announcers during the BAMA game--Griese to be specific--made a BIG DEAL about Bituli's hit being targeting as he said that the rule specifically forbids leading with the crown of the helmet to any part of the offensive players' body--even his back! The official that ESPN had as their consultant agreed with him.
He went on to explain that the contact with the crown of the helmet did NOT HAVE to be with the offensive player's head--as others have pointed out in this thread--because the rule is also intended to protect the defensive player making the tackle.

There's just no way in the world that tackle on JG is NOT TARGETING by the definition of the rule--LAUNCHING INCLUDED.

Personally--I think it was a good 'ol fashioned FB play...but the inconsistencies in the call are what aggravates me.
BE consistent and call it every time so we will KNOW....

And I hate it for JG because he was playing his best game ever--was very PROUD of that kid!

GO VOLS!

Last edited:
That needs to be investigated.

In court that would be impossible to overcome.

Makes you honestly think dude had money on the game.
With all the reviews and technology if they care about the integrity of the game and health of the player then review the dam play it would have took 2 minutes hell Pruitt was showing them on the big screen!

Reactions: AM64 and NEO
What is the difference between the hit last week that got Butuli ejected and this one? Both seemed to hit below the helmet of the offensive player, but both led with the crown of their helmet. Serious question, I can't seem to get a grasp of what targeting is. It seems to change on a weekly basis.
As I said in another thread, if you tear into the refs after every call, especially the way Pruitt does it, it eventually has a negative effect.

Am i blind or is that not the crown of the helmet directly into his sternum? Unless I need glasses, that's targeting.
Its not targeting, It has to be a hit to the head or neck area. See the NCAA rule.

• Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

Its not targeting, It has to be a hit to the head or neck area. See the NCAA rule.

• Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
You post the rule and then try to say it's not.

No targeting hence the injury to wrist and not head.
Geez people, read the f’n rule. Bituli was ejected with no contact to the other players head. If you lead with the crown of your helmet, it is targeting. It doesn’t matter where you contact the other player . Period.
That was the book definition, and it also has a rule about a player that is in the act of throwing or has just released the ball.

Reactions: AM64 and 4chrissy
As much as I want a revenge flag. Fewer targeting calls is my preference in general.

Reactions: AM64
I am on the fence as far as if it should have been called targeting. Although the hit wasn't to the head or neck area he did lead with crown of helmet. There is so much grey area when it comes to the targeting rule, it seems to leave it open for the ref's to call or not to call. Had it been Tua Tagovailoa taking that hit i feel certain it would have been called and reviewed. Maybe not have been confirmed as targeting, but ref would have called it.
Was JG defenseless? Yes. Did the USCjr player launch and strike JG iin the upper chest area with the crown of the helmet? Yes. The play should have been called targeting by the ref or Gumps acting like refs reviewing plays in BAMA.

I am on the fence as far as if it should have been called targeting. Although the hit wasn't to the head or neck area he did lead with crown of helmet. There is so much grey area when it comes to the targeting rule, it seems to leave it open for the ref's to call or not to call. Had it been Tua Tagovailoa taking that hit i feel certain it would have been called and reviewed. Maybe not have been confirmed as targeting, but ref would have called it.
I suggest you read the rule. There is nothing grey about it. 1) It’s clear he lead with the crown of his helmet.
2) He hit a player just after releasing the b-ball. Both are specified in the rule of targeting.

It’s not even debatable. If you lead with the crown of your helmet it’s targeting. The revised rule has NOTHING to do with helmet to helmet.

Reactions: AM64 and 4chrissy
2 things:
1) His facemask goes into JG's numbers.
2) His arms are to the side and he wraps up.

I doubt a hit like that ever gets called targeting. Maybe it gets a roughing the passer call, but that's iffy at best.
You obviously are not watching the same play. Look at the GIF in this thread. It’s crystal clear that the player launches himself and buries the crown of his helmet right into the number 2 on his jersey. His face mask is parallel with the ground. Had the player kept his head up he would not have the top of his head buried in JGs chest. The booth should have at least reviewed and didn’t.

Bituli was called for targeting and is was much less egregious. So, yes, it gets called.

Officiating is atrocious, but there really isn't much we can do about it other than complain. The SEC doesn't seem to be too interested in improving it.

Was JG defenseless? Yes. Did the USCjr player launch and strike JG iin the upper chest area with the crown of the helmet? Yes. The play should have been called targeting by the ref or Gumps acting like refs reviewing plays in BAMA.

Based on my understanding of the targeting rule , i think it was and should have been called.

Reactions: 4chrissy

VN Store

Back