Tamari's Out...What Happens Next

Don’t think I’d load Horston like that. I’d try to keep her under 35. Circumstances may deem otherwise.
ncaa maybe 35-39 all others under 35 could over 35 non ncaa games close game if she had more two day to rest. If need to play Jordan Horston 36 to 40 non ncaa games you are not going far in turnment anyway

Don’t think I’d load Horston like that. I’d try to keep her under 35. Circumstances may deem otherwise.

In our tougher games Horston is going to have to go nearly the distance to give us a chance. CKH might find a way to sub her out on some defensive possessions and back in for offense. Or, have some specific offensive sets each game where we would be featuring another player specifically. Creativity will be needed to give Horston a breather even a minute each quarter.

This year, Marta has consistently been the most aggressive, high energy player night-in night-out. At times, Miles brings some of that spirit on defense. However, not every night like last year.

Marta is much more physical this year. She sets hard screens. There was an inbound play this week, where she screened a girl with her arms right in the UTC player's fase. Marta has become rough and tough and our team needed that muscle. Yes, she gets called for overly aggressive on some screens, but that is just part of it.

She is the best passer. Especially on the interior passes. Yes, she throws a few away and sometimes surprises her teammates with the ball. This is really the first time they have played together in 20+ months so I think/hope they will jell.
You must be talking about a different player on a different team ...not Marta on Lady Vol team....she is a liability both offensively and defensively ....period .

I think she could be just like that Indiana inside player. Girl can't jump two inches off the floor, but she has the moves around the basket to score 20 points per game. I think this where Marta could do the same just work in there she could be huge even this season and certainly next.
Sure would like to see her make some kind of positive impact on the team .So far in three years I have seen nothing with her play that suggests that she is a capable SEC type player.She may be an able rebounder if she would play inside and demonstrate a nose for the ball.

You must be talking about a different player on a different team ...not Marta on Lady Vol team....she is a liability both offensively and defensively ....period .
Unsure about that. But, Marta has a great energy level this year. Some are wanting her to throttle it down a bit. But, with TK gone, think she will need to move inside. She will foul a lot, but that is ok. Marta pushes people around very well. I like her.

Unsure about that. But, Marta has a great energy level this year. Some are wanting her to throttle it down a bit. But, with TK gone, think she will need to move inside. She will foul a lot, but that is ok. Marta pushes people around very well. I like her.
Energy yes and plays like a bull in china closet.

Sure would like to see her make some kind of positive impact on the team .So far in three years I have seen nothing with her play that suggests that she is a capable SEC type player.She may be an able rebounder if she would play inside and demonstrate a nose for the ball.
This is the first she has played without an injury. Actually, last year, she was a full red-shirt. So, we are just beginning to see what Marta can accomplish.

Would be nice if Rickea could assume the Pippen role, so Michael Jordan could get a little breather. :)

If we're still pigeonholing the Bulls comparison I would switch the roles with Jackson as Michael Jordan and Horston as Pippen. Jackson is the best pure scorer on the team. Horston is the much better playmaker and defender...

I think she could be just like that Indiana inside player. Girl can't jump two inches off the floor, but she has the moves around the basket to score 20 points per game. I think this where Marta could do the same just work in there she could be huge even this season and certainly next.
The “girl from Indiana” is Mackenzie Holmes, who was a HS 5 star recruit that had developed her offensive game at a very young age. It’s way more involved than a few moves around the basket, it’s timing, shooting, angles, footwork, ball handling skills, knowing how to draw a foul, shake off a defender and how to move without the ball. She leads the nation in FG% because she does all of the above at an elite level and that took literally her whole life to develop and hone those skills to this level.

Marta does not have those elite skills and you do not learn them overnight. At this point in her playing career Marta has never developed even average ball handling skills, and she has not shown nearly any of the skills mentioned above, at least nowhere near the elite level that Holmes possesses from a lifetime of practice and ability.

You cannot compare Marta to Holmes, and you cannot expect her to “learn a few moves” and play like Holmes either, she does not have the same skills or skill set at all, not even comparable. You might just as well of said “If Miles would just shoot the 3 like Caitlyn Clark”………..

Last edited:
Reactions: dapeak and Raebo
You must be talking about a different player on a different team. If you have seen Marta play for three years you must live in Spain and saw her play in high school.
Marta is a very capable SEC player and will be an important part of this team for the NEXT THREE years as she only played a partial year as a freshman.
So your three year comment was silly. I guess you just needed a little attention.

The “girl from Indiana” is Mackenzie Holmes, who was a HS 5 star recruit that had developed her offensive game at a very young age. It’s way more involved than a few moves around the basket, it’s timing, shooting, angles, footwork, ball handling skills, knowing how to draw a foul, shake off a defender and how to move without the ball. She leads the nation in FG% because she does all of the above at an elite level and that took literally her whole life to develop and hone those skills to this level.

Marta does not have those elite skills and you do not learn them overnight. At this point in her playing career Marta has never developed even average ball handling skills, and she has not shown nearly any of the skills mentioned above, at least nowhere near the elite level that Holmes possesses from a lifetime of practice and ability.

You cannot compare Marta to Holmes, and you cannot expect her to “learn a few moves” and play like Holmes either, she does not have the same skills or skill set at all, not even comparable. You might just as well of said “If Miles would just shoot the 3 like Caitlyn Clark”………..
Who said she could do it overnight? She has never applied herself to be an inside player or took the time to even try to develop any skills inside and doubt you could get her to. She has always thought of herself as a guard and guess that is the way it will always be. I don't think it takes years to become a post player if you apply yourself certainly this girl did because her athleticism is not very high and yes her skills around the basket are superior. How long does it take to learn to do an up and under or a baby hook if you work on it for weeks or months?
As far as three point shooting Clark went for 33 percent last season and 34 this season so a lot of players can do that just don't have the green light to take 15 a game.

She hasn't played but a freshman season and the ten games this season and yes she would need to learn what her strengths are and that has not happened. The coaches need her to understand her role on the team she is not a guard and that is where all the problems with her play have come in. I seen her play many times for Spain and she had the role of an inside player and rebounder and looked quite good doing it. The Spain coach had her in to a role and that has not happened here. It will need to happen she is not helping the team with her perimeter play just not her game.

With all due respect, is your opinion on the defensive prowess based on watching on tv or in person. When I have gone to the games in person, I have been stunned about how good Marta is on defense. I couldn't believe this at first, so I tend to track her even when the person she is defending doesn't have the ball. Most of the time the person she ids defending doesn't have the ball or doesn't keep it long due to her defense and size. Much of this is not caught on tv because they focus more on where the ball is. I will admit that this may not be the case If she is put on a speedy guard who is a great penetrator, but we have other players who are likely to be called upon to defend this kind of player.
JMO the way I see it now certainly may completely different from Coach Harper. In terms of playing time.

Horston, Powell, Hollingshead, Puckett, Franklin, Darby, Striplin, Walker, Suarez, Miles, Pissott, and Wynn. Of course if Jackson comes back which I am beginning to think won't happen she would be right there with Horston.

I'm watching defenders and the best are Horston, Hollingshead, Walker and Franklin. Powell, Striplin and Puckett are good defenders with Darby and Suarez just fair. Suarez is good inside but when she plays on the perimeter guards blow by her like she is standing still. When she decides she is an inside player then we might have a really good player. As long as she is trying to play guard she is just to turnover prone. Justine is going to be a very good player you can see she has played against weak competition and now is needing to catch up with players that are quicker and stronger. Miles is just way down the rotation as is Wynn.
th ath a

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
With all due respect, is your opinion on the defensive prowess based on watching on tv or in person. When I have gone to the games in person, I have been stunned about how good Marta is on defense. I couldn't believe this at first, so I tend to track her even when the person she is defending doesn't have the ball. Most of the time the person she ids defending doesn't have the ball or doesn't keep it long due to her defense and size. Much of this is not caught on tv because they focus more on where the ball is. I will admit that this may not be the case If she is put on a speedy guard who is a great penetrator, but we have other players who are likely to be called upon to defend this kind of player.

th ath a
I know she does a good job guarding players her size. She just seems to be caught up in I'm a guard mentality no she can't guard the speedy guards. Until both offensively and defensively she gets into the role she needs to play with the team I'd rather see her play a limited role.

No consolation at all. Building depth early is critical as you almost need to expect it. Prepare for the worst.

I understand what you are saying. BUT no team I can remember as had two "starting" type top level fives. Yes good subs, (the key word is subs) that says it all SUBS. If they weren't subs they would be the starters that we and others just keep losing early nearly every season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Who said she could do it overnight? She has never applied herself to be an inside player or took the time to even try to develop any skills inside and doubt you could get her to. She has always thought of herself as a guard and guess that is the way it will always be. I don't think it takes years to become a post player if you apply yourself certainly this girl did because her athleticism is not very high and yes her skills around the basket are superior. How long does it take to learn to do an up and under or a baby hook if you work on it for weeks or months?
As far as three point shooting Clark went for 33 percent last season and 34 this season so a lot of players can do that just don't have the green light to take 15 a game.
Jesus, Holmes is an All Big10 player and perhaps an AA this year and you think some random player can duplicate her skills by learning an up and under and a baby hook in a few months?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo and 1reVOLver
Jesus, Holmes is an All Big10 player and perhaps an AA this year and you think some random player can duplicate her skills by learning an up and under and a baby hook in a few months?
Holmes wasn't that good as a freshman so she really developed it her junior and senior seasons so in a couple years she went from average to where she is now. Marta is a sophomore no reason she couldn't at least be effective in the post if she started now. Actually she already has some ability in there seldom uses it plays an entire different game for Spain than she does for us. I've seen players go from average to elite in one off season. One that did for us was Raye Burrell. It only took her one off season to completely change her game. So no I don't buy what your selling players change their game all the time it only takes determination and hard work.

Holmes wasn't that good as a freshman so she really developed it her junior and senior seasons so in a couple years she went from average to where she is now. Marta is a sophomore no reason she couldn't at least be effective in the post if she started now. Actually she already has some ability in there seldom uses it plays an entire different game for Spain than she does for us. I've seen players go from average to elite in one off season. One that did for us was Raye Burrell. It only took her one off season to completely change her game. So no I don't buy what your selling players change their game all the time it only takes determination and hard work.
Man, you just keep grasping at straws on Holmes……
Mackenzie Holmes Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Live and die by Jackson and Horston playing together. Both have to be on at the same time in big games for us to have a chance. With Key out game plan got easier for opposing teams, make someone else beat you besides Jackson and Horston.

Key averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds a game.

Reactions: Majors
Ten a game to 20 a game that is a lot of difference. One season 15. You can't see the difference between freshman and senior and even junior that is your problem.
Junior year she injured her knee Volfan, and her freshman year she was obviously playing behind some upperclassmen early but you can see her stats, she turned it on and had an awesome freshman year once inserted.

Reactions: Raebo

VN Store

Back