Talking Watches with Volnation

I would bet the 1911 appreciates more.
It wasn’t that. It’s just the Casio was uncomfortable and as much as I want a “high end” watch, other than looks, it accomplishes nothing I want/need from my current watch (I like having a smart watch).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2EastTnVols
It wasn’t that. It’s just the Casio was uncomfortable and as much as I want a “high end” watch, other than looks, it accomplishes nothing I want/need from my current watch (I like having a smart watch).
That 1911 will be more useful in today's world for sure, crazy times!

Reactions: Carl Pickens
What 1911 did you get?

First, I've never really been a Timex guy. I've always bought Casios. But I absolutely love the Expedition Chronograph I posted on here before. I wear it nearly every day.

But, my job is changing. I'm going to be managing a grant that focuses on finding jobs for "justice involved individuals". Mostly, I'll be trying to help folks that are behind on their child support find work, so they can get caught up on the payments and not end up with a record. As a result, in addition to my normal "business casual" office environment, I am now going to be spending a fair bit of time in court. As much as I love my Expedition, it's not dressy enough for a situation where I need to wear a tie, IMO. So I'm looking at a new but similar Timex.

61znYZkpiRL._AC_UY1000_.jpg
Thoughts...

First, I've never really been a Timex guy. I've always bought Casios. But I absolutely love the Expedition Chronograph I posted on here before. I wear it nearly every day.

But, my job is changing. I'm going to be managing a grant that focuses on finding jobs for "justice involved individuals". Mostly, I'll be trying to help folks that are behind on their child support find work, so they can get caught up on the payments and not end up with a record. As a result, in addition to my normal "business casual" office environment, I am now going to be spending a fair bit of time in court. As much as I love my Expedition, it's not dressy enough for a situation where I need to wear a tie, IMO. So I'm looking at a new but similar Timex.

View attachment 321177
Thoughts...
Versace_Dylos_Men_TwoToned.jpg

BUMP

I picked up a dress watch. It's a cheap Timex Easy Reader to go with my suit in court.
20210511_180025 (1).jpg

But, buying a watch always makes me want another. Since I was frugal, and bought a $40 Timex that does the job when I'm rubbing shoulders with the unwashed set of folks my job introduces me to. I feel like I should treat myself to something a little better. So....

How does everyone feel about Seiko vs Citizen vs Orient? My first thought was Seiko, but Citizen makes some good looking time pieces, and my research into that lead me to Orient as a contender. Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

Reactions: volmanbill
BUMP

I picked up a dress watch. It's a cheap Timex Easy Reader to go with my suit in court.
View attachment 368292

But, buying a watch always makes me want another. Since I was frugal, and bought a $40 Timex that does the job when I'm rubbing shoulders with the unwashed set of folks my job introduces me to. I feel like I should treat myself to something a little better. So....

How does everyone feel about Seiko vs Citizen vs Orient? My first thought was Seiko, but Citizen makes some good looking time pieces, and my research into that lead me to Orient as a contender. Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

They are all three great quality and value. Kind of depends if you're wanting quartz or auto. If quartz I'd recommend some version of the citizen eco drive. Seiko and orient are known for affordable quality autos. All three have very nice designs. Personally I have all 3 but for some reason I have had more citizens over the years. Check out longislandwatch.com, they have a great selection of all three. Good luck!

Reactions: JCHateSteve
They are all three great quality and value. Kind of depends if you're wanting quartz or auto. If quartz I'd recommend some version of the citizen eco drive. Seiko and orient are known for affordable quality autos. All three have very nice designs. Personally I have all 3 but for some reason I have had more citizens over the years. Check out longislandwatch.com, they have a great selection of all three. Good luck!
I've been looking at the Eco Drives and the Coutura and Excelsior from Seiko. I've never owned an automatic and don't know a much about the difference. But everything that's caught my eye is a quartz movement. The Citizens I like are easier on the wallet. So I'm kind of leaning that way. I pretty much ruled out Orient. Everything of their's I like cost enough that I might as well get one of the Seikos, and I like their styling better. Pics of the contenders...
91BE33MYsqL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

81Uh6FQT5jL._AC_UY780_.jpg

91i7u01fcjL._AC_UY780_.jpg

71FJ+00eNLL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DocVOLiday
I've been looking at the Eco Drives and the Coutura and Excelsior from Seiko. I've never owned an automatic and don't know a much about the difference. But everything that's caught my eye is a quartz movement. The Citizens I like are easier on the wallet. So I'm kind of leaning that way. I pretty much ruled out Orient. Everything of their's I like cost enough that I might as well get one of the Seikos, and I like their styling better. Pics of the contenders...
View attachment 369585

View attachment 369586

View attachment 369587

View attachment 369588
Those all look great! Specifically the Coutura. Make sure to update when you pull the trigger!

Reactions: JCHateSteve

VN Store

Back