Talking Tackles

Defensive tackles that is. You know, that part of the defensive eleven where we are so thin that even Kung Fu couldn't walk across the depth chart without tearing the paper...

Needless to say much attention is being given DTs this spring, and Fulmer is less than effusive with praise for what he sees.

TFP..
UT has just three experienced players at that important position, and the season’s first opponent was recently changed to UCLA.
“It’s really crucial,” said Victor Thomas, another big man under the spring spotlight. “We normally have five or six D-tackles (in the rotation). It will be important for us to make steps so we can play this coming year.”

Really? How far back do we need to go to see normal in a season?...

Vols coach Phillip Fulmer didn’t hold back Tuesday when asked about his inexperienced defensive tackles. He mentioned Langley and Thomas but didn’t bring up rising junior Chase Nelson, whose thumb injury kept him off the field most of last season.

“I see Donald giving really exceptional effort, and that’s encouraging. We just need more production,” Fulmer said. “I see flashes — and flashes would be about it — from Victor.”

All three players look like SEC tackles in pads. None weigh 300 pounds, but defensive tackles coach Dan Brooks said the Vols “don’t need 300 pounders to do what we do.” Nelson and Thomas are both listed at 6-foot-4, 270 pounds.

I'm betting he wouldn't turn his nose up at 'em...

“I feel like I’ve got a lot of work to do,” Thomas said. “I’ve got to keep working on my technique and keep going hard every play.”

Langley has dropped 20 pounds from his 6-2 frame since last season. The Washington, D.C.-area native claims to be quicker as a 285-pounder.

“I’m just taking what Coach Brooks says to heart, because he’s the best D-line coach in the business,” Langley said. “You’ve got to take everything he says and soak it up. In the beginning, when I first got here, it was hard to be coachable and just take what he told me. Now I’ve just got to do what he says and listen to what he says.

“He won’t steer me wrong. Everything he says is right.”

Thomas showed some of the “flashes” Fulmer alluded to in Tuesday’s Tennessee Drill. Consistency remains the issue, though Fulmer said his comments were also directed at some of UT’s young offensive linemen.

“You challenge them, but what they’ve got to do is learn to challenge themselves,” Fulmer said. “You can’t be standing over them every play that they’re out there, although we are right now. They have to challenge themselves to get in great condition.

“We played less than 30 plays out there (Tuesday), and you’d have thought we’d played two football games, back-to-back, the way their eyes were and their demeanor was. They just don’t understand.”

I hate reading crap like that. It's probably just CPF trying to light a fire for these kids, but 'lack of effort' quotes just drive me mad...

If they don’t pick it up, Fulmer said the Vols — who should have an embarrassment of riches in the secondary — could play more three-down linemen packages.
“In the offseason program ... they’ll be challenged to get in great shape,” Fulmer said. “They’ve got to show their heart, to be honest with you. Otherwise, we’ll go to a threedown scheme before we play somebody that’s not going to go out there and give you their best effort.”

And there my friends, is the spring's first threat to use a 3down package. The one we almost never see come fall..

“And we know that, too,” Langley said. “There’s no excuse now. We know what it takes, and it’s time to get in there and help this team.”

ummm... Mr. Langley... did you happen to catch what your coach said...
“We played less than 30 plays out there (Tuesday), and you’d have thought we’d played two football games, back-to-back, the way their eyes were and their demeanor was. They just don’t understand.”

This is the place, defensive tackle, where this will or will not become a quality defensive team this fall.

Step up Mr. Langley. We need a beast to compliment our experienced ones. And you are going to have to be it.

Go Vols!!!

Didn't we suffer some losses at DT over the past three years? One guy kicked off and a couple to grades?

I don't disagree with a thing you've said....just wondering if the fickle finger of fate has cost us some players at this position.

Didn't we suffer some losses at DT over the past three years? One guy kicked off and a couple to grades?

I don't disagree with a thing you've said....just wondering if the fickle finger of fate has cost us some players at this position.

I think you are right, though names don't pop to ther top of my mind...

It would've been nice if recruiting had bolstered the coffers some this year. That didn't really happen. It is what it is. What we've got is going to have to be the answer.

McDaniel, who would have already been graduated now comes to mind.

Raymond Henderson is another.

ou know, that part of the defensive eleven where we are so thin that even Kung Fu couldn't walk across the depth chart without tearing the paper...
Snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper.

Great post, as usual, OWH.

It's going to be a shame for our secondary if the D-Line can't get any pressure on the QB this year.

We can have Spiderman and Superman at both corners but it won't matter if we can't get a pass rush.

Georgia vs. Hawaii, for example, the strong defensive front will always, always, always, always beat those timing high flying offenses. Tennessee 1998, for another example.

If we don't strap our jock on Tebow will make grown men cry in Neyland this season. I don't want to see grown men cry. But, oh well, I knew the Tennessee defensive line was screwed for years to come when I saw Matt McGothlin on the line against Arkansas in 2006.

Here's to pulling one out of our butts, defensively, in 08.

We can have Spiderman and Superman at both corners but it won't matter if we can't get a pass rush.

Georgia vs. Hawaii, for example, the strong defensive front will always, always, always, always beat those timing high flying offenses. Tennessee 1998, for another example.

If we don't strap our jock on Tebow will make grown men cry in Neyland this season. I don't want to see grown men cry. But, oh well, I knew the Tennessee defensive line was screwed for years to come when I saw Matt McGothlin on the line against Arkansas in 2006.

I could not agree more. What's amazing is that we can't get a couple of stud DTs to come here when, if they were as good as advertised, could walk in a start (or at least be in the rotation) from day 1. I don't get it.

I could not agree more. What's amazing is that we can't get a couple of stud DTs to come here when, if they were as good as advertised, could walk in a start (or at least be in the rotation) from day 1. I don't get it.
exactly...not to mention we have had a very good recent history of producing NFL draft picks at DT

Very few true freshmen start at DT. This is a problem that started a long time ago.

Well said Bidness.

right about now, i'm wishing Marvin Austin(i think that's right?) had signed with us last season instead of UNC

then why didnt we go the juco route?

In 09 Tennessee will have 3 coming from the JUCO ranks.

The starting 4 DL for Tennessee aren't a problem. There a 3 DEs (Martin, Ayers and Brown) and 3 DTs (Williams, Bolden and Fisher) that can play with anybody in the SEC.

Now depth at DT rests on Langley, Nelson and Thomas to come through and have big years. If Walker is as good as advertised, then the position isn't in as bad as thought.

Add to it that Willie Bohannon signed and the kid from Murfreesboro then it will be okay.

Remember the days when no one could run against us? Ah those were good times.. maybe it will turn out better this season. It has to, if Ut is going to have any kind of success.

In 09 Tennessee will have 3 coming from the JUCO ranks.

The starting 4 DL for Tennessee aren't a problem. There a 3 DEs (Martin, Ayers and Brown) and 3 DTs (Williams, Bolden and Fisher) that can play with anybody in the SEC.

Now depth at DT rests on Langley, Nelson and Thomas to come through and have big years. If Walker is as good as advertised, then the position isn't in as bad as thought.

Add to it that Willie Bohannon signed and the kid from Murfreesboro then it will be okay.

what 3 guys from juco in 09?

Rufus hasn't gained any weight. He's likely a DE only. Sykes is probably a tweener right now unless he really starts to bulk up. Hall could be very, very good... but he'll only have two years left. The other two will have 3.

Does anyone else get as annoyed as I do when they talk about DT's playing at 270-285 lbs? For about 3 years now UT has been unable to stop the run... and they keep making those guys drop weight...

Does anyone have a guess as to why they're doing this? How much can that tiny bit of quickness help guys on the inside?

Rufus hasn't gained any weight. He's likely a DE only. Sykes is probably a tweener right now unless he really starts to bulk up. Hall could be very, very good... but he'll only have two years left. The other two will have 3.

Does anyone else get as annoyed as I do when they talk about DT's playing at 270-285 lbs? For about 3 years now UT has been unable to stop the run... and they keep making those guys drop weight...

Does anyone have a guess as to why they're doing this? How much can that tiny bit of quickness help guys on the inside?

A lot, but they have to be quick to begin with.

DT is not only the hardest position to draft for in the NFL but also one of the most difficult positions to develop

VN Store

Back