Talk to us about....VN's favorite Californian.

DeusExMachina

"I aim to misbehave"
In early 2000, a 5* pro-style passer from Bishop Alemany HS in Mission Hills, CA made the fateful decision to take his substantial talents 7/8 of the way across the country. Once he reached the friendly confines of Neyland Stadium, the winning commenced, as he was responsible for a 20-9 record. However, it was away games where the young gunslinger's moxie, drive, determination, and flat-out refusal to lose took over; and where he became a fixture in the hearts and minds of Vol Nation.

Outside of Neyland, his record was 14-1, which still stands today as the best record by a Vols QB in road games. He never lost to South Carolina, Kentucky, or Vanderbilt; beat Alabama and Arkansas three times, and led the Orange and White to two victories over Florida. His post-O&W playing career ended with more of a whimper than a roar, but "The Iceman" will always have fans clad in Pantone 151.

So, my Big Orange brethren and sisteren.....tell us your tales of Casey "The Iceman" Clausen.

IMG_20230315_131914.jpg

Great guy. Underappreciated at the time as Tennessee was competing for championships or nothing then. I believe he would have beaten Florida in 2000 if starting, or if the refs were not chin to jockstrap on Spurrier, it wasn't a catch and I won't get over it. Beats LSU. Probably beats Georgia. Should have been the starter all of 2000, nothing against AJ but Clausen was on a different level. Went 2-1 against the gators. Never lost to South Carolina, Kentucky, or Vanderbilt (ever, back when those W's were criteria not hopes). Also, before anyone does this one, it was Rick who with the come-from-behind victory over LSU. Had to suck for LSU fans to watch their transfer QB come in for Tennessee and proceed to rip their soul out, but it was after Casey. I would take either one of the Clausens in a CJH offense. The numbers they would put up.

2003 at Bama is the game that shows what a fighter CC was. 5 OT and the famous 4th and 19. That 4th and 19 might be the best pass I've ever seen by a UT QB. Just a perfect spot .

Honorable mention - beating Miami at their place. It was a "war" 😄
Not the best Stat game for CC, but we don't win without him

I always held my breath. He was a statue in the pocket and from arm ready to motion to release of his passes seemed to take 20 seconds. He was still reading the defense during his motion.
But he had the killer instinct and understood opposing defenses through dedication to film study.
He was as good as Hooker and Schuler.
I never doubted the VOLS when he was under center.

Donte Stallworth, Cedric Wilson, Kelley Washington, Jason Witten, Mark Jones, James Banks
So many passing weapons and Clausen could have passed for 1000+ more yards each season with some more aggressive offensive playcalling. That would have led to a few more wins that would have put us over the top during those seasons.

2003 at Bama is the game that shows what a fighter CC was. 5 OT and the famous 4th and 19. That 4th and 19 might be the best pass I've ever seen by a UT QB. Just a perfect spot .

I was at this game. It was my youngest brother's 16th birthday and my aunt gave us their tickets.

Casey would not be denied.
That 4th and forever was also unbelievable.
His scorpion for the first down (shoulda been a TD imo) was the most memorable play for me.

11903942_861950257193610_3168137581969603828_n.jpg

We were in the north end zone about 15 rows up for it.

I was at this game. It was my youngest brother's 16th birthday and my aunt gave us their tickets.

Casey would not be denied.
That 4th and forever was also unbelievable.
His scorpion for the first down (shoulda been a TD imo) was the most memorable play for me.

11903942_861950257193610_3168137581969603828_n.jpg

We were in the north end zone about 15 rows up for it.
That pic sums it up, simply put Casey Clausen was a winner .

The win at ND was awesome…. But 4th and 19 and the win in the Swamp.

One bad memory - coaches fault, not his…. Those boys got off of the airplane coming back from Gainesville- they had just won the east, had a very pedestrian LSU team to play in ATL- and then it was off to Pasadena to play Miami in the Rose Bowl for the NC— Casey had an Orange rose in his teeth.
I distinctly remember thinking they are overlooking that saban fella …. And they were.

Also, Casey had a damn fine Girlfriend too.

In early 2000, a 5* pro-style passer from Bishop Alemany HS in Mission Hills, CA made the fateful decision to take his substantial talents 7/8 of the way across the country. Once he reached the friendly confines of Neyland Stadium, the winning commenced, as he was responsible for a 20-9 record. However, it was away games where the young gunslinger's moxie, drive, determination, and flat-out refusal to lose took over; and where he became a fixture in the hearts and minds of Vol Nation.

Outside of Neyland, his record was 14-1, which still stands today as the best record by a Vols QB in road games. He never lost to South Carolina, Kentucky, or Vanderbilt; beat Alabama and Arkansas three times, and led the Orange and White to two victories over Florida. His post-O&W playing career ended with more of a whimper than a roar, but "The Iceman" will always have fans clad in Pantone 151.

So, my Big Orange brethren and sisteren.....tell us your tales of Casey "The Iceman" Clausen.

View attachment 541973
It’d be interesting what he would have done if he had Cutcliffe

View attachment 541973

We've had some great California Vols. Clausen, Foster, Stallworth, Simon, Burnett, and a little WR named Eric Swanson come to mind.

Saw Casey in of all places a Dollar Tree in the Dallas area maybe 15 years ago or so ago. I think he was coaching or maybe interning at a small school somewhere in Texas at the time.

Waiting to check out, turned around for some reason and he was behind me in line lol. Still don't know if he knew if I realized who he was or thought I was just a weirdo ha ha. I was not wearing anything Vols related at the time.

View attachment 541973
No doubt in my mind. My first memory of CC was when he was a freshman & Tennessee was playing Alabama in Neylant Stadium. He was rushed by the Bama DL & had his helmet ripped off; all the Iceman did was keep scrambling & then complete a pass! Then & there Casey Clausen won the hearts & minds of many Vol fans & players. :cool: He was truly a guy with "ICE" in his veins.

Playing a huge role in some of the greatest wins the Vols ever enjoyed, Clausen went 2-0 in Tuscaloosa and 2-0 in Gainesville. And we already mentioned him winning a game in Miami. The guy was as clutch as you could get and never lost on the road.

In 2003, he had a limited running game and no go-to targets. So he was literally the only part of the offense able to do anything.

Neyland would have been very proud of the team's performance in that victory at Miami. That was an old-school, slobber-knocker of a defensive war.

VN Store

Back