Talk to us about....VN's favorite Californian.

In early 2000, a 5* pro-style passer from Bishop Alemany HS in Mission Hills, CA made the fateful decision to take his substantial talents 7/8 of the way across the country. Once he reached the friendly confines of Neyland Stadium, the winning commenced, as he was responsible for a 20-9 record. However, it was away games where the young gunslinger's moxie, drive, determination, and flat-out refusal to lose took over; and where he became a fixture in the hearts and minds of Vol Nation.

Outside of Neyland, his record was 14-1, which still stands today as the best record by a Vols QB in road games. He never lost to South Carolina, Kentucky, or Vanderbilt; beat Alabama and Arkansas three times, and led the Orange and White to two victories over Florida. His post-O&W playing career ended with more of a whimper than a roar, but "The Iceman" will always have fans clad in Pantone 151.

So, my Big Orange brethren and sisteren.....tell us your tales of Casey "The Iceman" Clausen.

View attachment 541973
34-10 overall record at UT.

He was a winner!

Great guy. Underappreciated at the time as Tennessee was competing for championships or nothing then. I believe he would have beaten Florida in 2000 if starting, or if the refs were not chin to jockstrap on Spurrier, it wasn't a catch and I won't get over it. Beats LSU. Probably beats Georgia. Should have been the starter all of 2000, nothing against AJ but Clausen was on a different level. Went 2-1 against the gators. Never lost to South Carolina, Kentucky, or Vanderbilt (ever, back when those W's were criteria not hopes). Also, before anyone does this one, it was Rick who with the come-from-behind victory over LSU. Had to suck for LSU fans to watch their transfer QB come in for Tennessee and proceed to rip their soul out, but it was after Casey. I would take either one of the Clausens in a CJH offense. The numbers they would put up.
Only reason he wasn’t the starter early in the year in 2000 was because he had tendinitis in his throwing arm.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Only reason he wasn’t the starter early in the year in 2000 was because he had tendinitis in his throwing arm.
Someone else beat you in sharing that info, but I don't remember that. The internet confirms it, but I seem to have forgotten about his injury altogether.

I've got a friend who went into sports agency. He goes to every UT game and stays in the same hotel as the team. I forget the year, but we get the Cotton Bowl against Kansas State. My friend was heading into his room at 3 am (been out with a player's parents) the night before the game and when he looks up he sees Claussen stumbling down the hall with a girl on each arm. Cotton Bowl kicked off at 11:00 Dallas time. We got killed.

My friend, seeing a great opportunity, got hold of his bookie and put a large (he wouldn't tell me) bet down on K State, who was getting points. I'm sure he declared that on his income tax return.

I should have turned him into the IRS for not calling me.

What was the reasoning behind CC not being drafted to play in the NFL?

For a QB with such success in the SEC how does he not get a look?

How about FG Kicker Chase McGrath! He played fantastic while he was here. He needed some credit here. I think Bruce McCoy isn't done here yet and be big time next year. Those are both Mater Dei HS Santa Ana CA guys. Coach Heupel needs to build a pipeline there and at St. John Bosco which is not far away from there.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
What was the reasoning behind CC not being drafted to play in the NFL?

For a QB with such success in the SEC how does he not get a look?

Pretty sure he did get a look as a late round pick or undrafted FA that was invited to camp.

He is 1 of my very favorite VOLS, and was THE Road Warrior as a QB...but he didnt have an NFL caliber arm to be honest. He was a great QB because he was smart and fearless, and the team loved him.

Fwiw...his drinking prowess was and is still legendary, as was him running thru all the hot chicks on campus to include the Lady Vols, cheerleaders, etc...while his luck with the ladies as a handsome starting SEC QB was no big deal, NFL franchises are not thrilled about it when players are known to drink suitcases of beer regularly and win drinking contests like they were road games...see the comment above about stumbling in at 3AM with a doubleshift of work left to do and kickoff only 8 hours later.

Btw...I am not knocking Casey at all, or pretending for a moment that I would have done anything different at that age. If i were in his shoes with girls basically throwing themselves at me 24-7 and living on campus with fresh keggers at the frat houses 7 days a week...I doubt that I would have handled it nearly as well as he did at just 18 to 22 years old.

Casey Clausen is a beast, a legend, still 2nd all time in passing yards and has a road record in the SEC that will likely stand forever. True VFL and a great guy by all accounts. GO VOLS

Playing a huge role in some of the greatest wins the Vols ever enjoyed, Clausen went 2-0 in Tuscaloosa and 2-0 in Gainesville. And we already mentioned him winning a game in Miami. The guy was as clutch as you could get and never lost on the road.

In 2003, he had a limited running game and no go-to targets. So he was literally the only part of the offense able to do anything.
1-0 in South Bend

VN Store

Back