Talented, But ...

DrDave

This bunch has talent, no doubt.

But as Pat said, "I've never seen a group with less motivation."

Add in no foot speed.
And a soft approach to the game.
And the key element is ..... no real point guard.

As we all say ... wait till next year, or the next.

I have a feeling we won't see several (more than one) of these ladies back next year. And its not Alex Fuller.

What do you think?

Everyone of those girls will be back they are just young and inexperienced. If Kelly Cain would not have gone down that game would have been a whole lot different. But I agree they need help at point. Both the men and women teams suffered from YOUTH this year!

Instead of blaming herself for the deficiencies of this team, Summitt's been throwing the players under the bus all year. She knows the team a lot better than I do--of course!--but I don't get all this complaining from her and others about a supposed lack of motivation and effort. Who exactly is she referring to?

I saw the game last night, and nearly all the girls played their tails off. Geez, Stricklin and Bjorklund gave it everything they had--and probably played about all but 2 minutes of the game. Johnson worked hard, as did Bass and Cain when they were in the game. Who are the slackers she is referring to? The fact is, this team is young and big and kind of slow and, in the end, not very talented. Cain got hurt. Both Stricklin and Bjorklund are playing out of position because Summitt--again--doesn't have a point guard. Johnson is athletic but has ZERO offensive game.

Summitt complains about the defense. Well, when your team lacks quickness--THE essential element in basketball--you're gonna have problems stopping people. Brewer and Cain are very big and very slow, Bjorklund has skills but she is clearly a half-step slow to be a big-time player; Stricklin is and will be a player--but she is fairly big and was trying to defend the other team's point guard. She should be playing small forward.

Hey, the Vols will be better next year if PS finds a pg, if the bigs (ever) recover from their knee injuries--and if PS ever learns how to coach TEAM offense, which won't happen. In the second half, there was hardly anybody on the Vols who even took a shot other than Bjorklund and Stricklin. I saw a bunch of players who tried hard but got outplayed.

For all that Pat has done in the past, she is being out recurited for the past several years. Had it not been for Parker that would extend back for 10+ years. Parker's leaving early really put a hurt on the program that will last for years and enable Geno to reach 10 championships before Pat.

For all that Pat has done in the past, she is being out recurited for the past several years. Had it not been for Parker that would extend back for 10+ years. Parker's leaving early really put a hurt on the program that will last for years and enable Geno to reach 10 championships before Pat.

If I am not mistaken? Pat has 7 McD's All-Americans on this team and you are saying she is being outrecruited.

BS!!!!

It is amazing to me that people come on these sites and rant about a coach that has hung 8 Championship Banners in TBA. Lost all 5 starters from last years team and replaced with good quality talent. Experience is the key, and I agree a true point would be huge.

However, don't hammer CPS and build up Geno around here or someone could get punked!!!!!

Out recruited?? What the hell are you talking about this team is loaded with talent they are just young!

Mark my words Glory Johnson and Strickland are gonna be super stars! And if Cain can keep her knees healthy she will be very tough to stop under the basket.

Instead of blaming herself for the deficiencies of this team, Summitt's been throwing the players under the bus all year. She knows the team a lot better than I do--of course!--but I don't get all this complaining from her and others about a supposed lack of motivation and effort. Who exactly is she referring to?

I saw the game last night, and nearly all the girls played their tails off. Geez, Stricklin and Bjorklund gave it everything they had--and probably played about all but 2 minutes of the game. Johnson worked hard, as did Bass and Cain when they were in the game. Who are the slackers she is referring to? The fact is, this team is young and big and kind of slow and, in the end, not very talented. Cain got hurt. Both Stricklin and Bjorklund are playing out of position because Summitt--again--doesn't have a point guard. Johnson is athletic but has ZERO offensive game.

Summitt complains about the defense. Well, when your team lacks quickness--THE essential element in basketball--you're gonna have problems stopping people. Brewer and Cain are very big and very slow, Bjorklund has skills but she is clearly a half-step slow to be a big-time player; Stricklin is and will be a player--but she is fairly big and was trying to defend the other team's point guard. She should be playing small forward.

Hey, the Vols will be better next year if PS finds a pg, if the bigs (ever) recover from their knee injuries--and if PS ever learns how to coach TEAM offense, which won't happen. In the second half, there was hardly anybody on the Vols who even took a shot other than Bjorklund and Stricklin. I saw a bunch of players who tried hard but got outplayed.

Did you watch the same game I did? They all had poor shot selection, and terrible choices while passing the ball. You don't have to be quick to get a rebound and the girls weren't even coming close to grabbing rebounds at either end of the court. Coming out of half time, while Cain was on the bench, you could almost see how the girls looked like they had already lost. I firmly blame this loss on the character of these girls. Pat said it herslef... this team never bought into TN basketball, and when a young group doesn't buy in... your not going to win tournament games. I hope that this loss puts a fire in these girls because when only a couple of girls on the team come to play in the game they don't win.

Too many times this season the team has blown leads and games because they let up. They couldn't protect a lead to save their lives. They'd come out, build up a sizeable lead, then ease off, which resulted in them trying to come from behind to win a game they should have already had. They struggled with putting together a 40 minute game all season. I'm hoping that is strictly related to their inexperience and next year will be a different story.

Judging by the number of posts generarated by the loss of the LVs.....its seems most could careless.

Young...nobody putting pressure on them for their position. If next year's recruitment class has any substance, this year's kids will probably get motivated.

OH, and don't call out Pat for throwing someone under the bus!

She calls them as she sees them. Always has, always will!

I see and hear fans gripe and complain about Coach Pearl not lighting a fire under the boys, and then turn around and gripe and complain with Coach Summitt pours gas on the fire.

I say 8 Titles gets CPS the right to say what she wants when she wants and step aside if you don't like it!!!!!

Guys, youth or not there is NO way the LVs with the number of McDonald's All Americans should lose to Ball State for God's sake. It is true that Pat has been out recruited in the last few years but I think there is a reason for that. Every word out of Summitt's mouth is defense this and defense that. Defense is important but if you don't let the shooters shoot the ball there is no way to score enough points to beat any team. The shooters are either afraid to take shots or have no confidence in their shots. The best offensive players are not going to come to Tenn. Because PS won't let them shoot. Maya Moore is a prime example. She is a great player for UConn and she has a green light to shoot. Think what a player like her could do for Tenn this year. Rebounding on the other hand is just motivation and who wants it worse

how can anyone say that we dont have the best players or cant get the best players.Lady Vols and Pat Summit built womens basketball every player wants to come to TN...uhmmmm we just lost the best player in womens basketball history...really give them a break.Pat Summit does not refer to having the best players to win for nothing. We do i promise...ohh yeah and every player coming in next season is a Mcdonalds All-American...huh cant recruit..get out of here with that Bs....

It is embarrassing to me that fans make statements like Pat can't recruit. It's also embarrassing to me when some people want her and BP fired after years like they both had. It shows a lack of knowledge of sports and us as fans don't need that reputation. So, let the nay sayers be out numbered by leaps and bounds so maybe nobody can find their crazy rants on Volnation!

Pat is one of the greatest coaches of all time. She brought women's BB to the national audience. Bruce Pearl has finally gotten TN and BB mentioned in the same sentence. It wasn't but a few years ago that TN men going to the NCAA tourney was considered a GREAT year by our standards. Short memories lead to dumb posts.

Do you think maybe the poster who made the recruiting comments and talked about how UConn is passing the Lady Vols by might just be a site pest considering it was their first post.

Utter nonsense.

She has got the talent but the young players don't have
the experience yet they will be better next year

The freshmen had a full season of college experience before the game began Sunday evening. Where will they pick up added experience before next season.....summer leagues?? (I really don't know.) To say they will be better next season doesn't really add up unless you are considering that the injured players will be well again.

The freshmen had a full season of college experience before the game began Sunday evening. Where will they pick up added experience before next season.....summer leagues?? (I really don't know.) To say they will be better next season doesn't really add up unless you are considering that the injured players will be well again.
Along with age comes a certain amount of maturity. Here's hoping these girls will mature. Experience is something you usually get, right after you need it.

The experience they will get this summer and fall is the experience of hearing from this coaching staff that was embarrassed with this season and more particularly this last game. Trust me. It will be an experience they will never forget. Some may leave. Time will tell. The ones that stick around will play better. Bank on it.

If you say that the shooters didn't get to shoot, if you read the box score, Stricklen and Bjorklund shot the ball a combined amount of 38 times and they made 14 of those.

VN Store

Back