Takes on Joe Milton after his first career start last year against Minnesota

Good point...hope u r right...itching for Tennessee to bring back days of old...seems like wait has been long enough but I'm willing to give a kid a fair shake....wish him the best of luck on Saturday!
We're all in the same boat, tired of starting over. These guys aren’t going to be world beaters, but maybe they'll be fun to watch and surprise us along the way.

We're all in the same boat, tired of starting over. These guys aren’t going to be world beaters, but maybe they'll be fun to watch and surprise us along the way.
Yea that's true....on a good note... defense looked a little better...so if offense does lag... hopefully they pick up the slack...would love to see Taylor take one to the house!

I think every Vol fan is tired of playing the “waiting game@ to see if our QB will be successful. We’ve had talented (4* or 5*) QBs that have struggled for one reason or another. So while I agree Milton needs more time, he isn’t a freshman and Vol fans are tired of waiting and hungry for a winner!

Reactions: volcop1
If I had to take a guess of why most people are Concerned it’s because they’re expecting/hoping to see us do what Ole Miss has done on this first drive. We look schematically just like Ole Miss. We’ll get there.

Reactions: Remy
Fair opinion. I'm not debating who is the best quarterback on the roster. I have no idea. CJH thinks it's Milton and I simply think we need to give him more than one game to make that determination.

You bring up another good point. The spring game. Milton wasn't here for it. I think that's a huge obstacle to overcome.

Milton put up some decent numbers before he got hurt last year... weather that was caused by the injury or other factors, who knows. He surely looked good and got a lot of attention after that Minnesota game. And I think Heupel has a pretty good track record with quarterbacks, so I think it's possible there's a lot of improvement to be had from what we saw in week one.
I think a big part of it is we keep hearing about this "high ceiling " yet the numbers we saw Thursday mirror what 4 years has shown. The question becomes then that maybe this is his ceiling. Saturday will tell a lot

I think every Vol fan is tired of playing the “waiting game@ to see if our QB will be successful. We’ve had talented (4* or 5*) QBs that have struggled for one reason or another. So while I agree Milton needs more time, he isn’t a freshman and Vol fans are tired of waiting and hungry for a winner!
edit:....my bad...totally misread that....i agree 100%

Last edited:
Everyone has different opinions about whether or not he will excel here, and that's fine. I'm just asking that people give him more than one game before they did their heels in. Let's see if he shows improvement this week.

It seemed like he was just always trying to put on a show when he had time. Pointing to his WR's to go deeper instead of just running the offense.....I think he will be fine....as CJH said it will be fixed.....Milton had guys open he just always wanted the bigger play

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
It seemed like he was just always trying to put on a show when he had time. Pointing to his WR's to go deeper instead of just running the offense.....I think he will be fine....as CJH said it will be fixed.....Milton had guys open he just always wanted the bigger play
If you like statistics he was 98 out of 130 in passing yards and 80 in efficiency. He was not the only quarterback playing for the first time in a new system for a new coach. A lot of guys in front of him on that list also do not have 4 years experience. Not saying he cant get it done, just saying he didn't on Thursday. One game may be to soon to pull the trigger but "if" we get the same play Saturday then there needs to be a change made.

Because he committed so early and was an original Tenn signee, I was pulling for Bailey. However, if Bailey started and had the same stats as Milton had Thur night, I would be looking for a change, or at least a short leash this Sat. Hope all the other Bailey fans would feel the same.
Not a coach, but I imagine pulling your starter, in the 1st game, or even changing starters for the 2nd game, does not do much for their confidence. QB is a special position. Confidence is important and they cannot be looking over their shoulder after every bad play. Hope Milton plays great Sat, but I don’t think Heupel is the kind of coach who sticks with a QB missing wide open receivers. I don’t want any of our QBs pulled for one bad game.

Because he committed so early and was an original Tenn signee, I was pulling for Bailey. However, if Bailey started and had the same stats as Milton had Thur night, I would be looking for a change, or at least a short leash this Sat. Hope all the other Bailey fans would feel the same.
Not a coach, but I imagine pulling your starter, in the 1st game, or even changing starters for the 2nd game, does not do much for their confidence. QB is a special position. Confidence is important and they cannot be looking over their shoulder after every bad play. Hope Milton plays great Sat, but I don’t think Heupel is the kind of coach who sticks with a QB missing wide open receivers. I don’t want any of our QBs pulled for one bad game.
The complaint on Pruitt was that he would pull Maurer and Bailey too quickly after bad plays. They couldn't gain confidence because they were always worried they'd get pulled.

The complaint on Heupel is he isn't going to pull Milton quickly after bad plays. Like that would help his confidence or the team's confidence. Dang, one bad game and you're out of the lineup.

🤷‍♂️ Just signing in here should qualify us all for Lithium and Zyprexa, at least.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
What does this have to do with his performance Thursday night? Milton needs to get it together or we’ll need another one of the QBs step up so this team can reach its potential.
Just kills me, we win that damn game and all you guys are doing is bitching about Milton because he didn't have a heisman type night...Damn...Give the guy a break!

With his size, he needs to run with a bit more authority, for sure.

Hopefully he can connect on a couple of those deep balls this week that he missed last week.
He looks a little slow.
Those are my two concerns. ^
He’s slower a foot than I hoped he would be and when he does run with the ball, he needs to lower his pads and fall forward for 2 as CJH says…….

but...but...but...there is a "consensus" around here...from ALL the "Armchair Coaching Wonders" around here...that have a DIFFERENT "take" from this years start...

and their "feelings' are a little sore...
Sounds like you're king armchair coach to me

Those are my two concerns. ^
He’s slower a foot than I hoped he would be and when he does run with the ball, he needs to lower his pads and fall forward for 2 as CJH says…….
This…he holds the ball and cannot scramble. I am not optimistic. It’s not that I don’t want to be. But I saw him play a fair amount last year, and he still looks average at best.

Reactions: OllVol
Milton stats last year at Mich. 56% comp 4tds 4 int.
Completion % starting with game 1 through game 6. 68, 62, 52, 47, 41, 33 but only 3or 4 att. So got worse each game .
To be fair, a hand injury.

2020 – FRESHMAN. Bailey

Played in six games and started the final three games of the year in debut season ... Threw for at least one touchdown in each of his final three games ... Completed 48-of-68 passes for 578 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions … Completion percentage of 70.6 was tops on the team … Started the season finale vs. No. 5 Texas A&M (12/19), completing all six of his pass attempts for 85 yards and a touchdown ... Started his second straight game and set career highs in completions (14), passing yards (207) and passing touchdowns (two) in first career win at Vanderbilt (12/12) ... Made his first career start in loss to No. 6 Florida (12/5) ... Completed 14-of-21 passes for 111 yards and threw his first career touchdown pass against the Gators ... Played the final two drives at No. 23 Auburn (11/21), leading the Vols down the field for a touchdown on his first drive and finishing the game 7-of-10 for 86 yards ... Played the final two drives at Arkansas (11/7), completing 6-of-9 passes for 65 yards with two interceptions ... Made collegiate debut vs. Kentucky (10/17), seeing action for one drive in the fourth quarter ... Completed one pass for 24 yards against the Wildcats.
To be fair 3 or 4 we’re just a drive or to in the game, starts we’re against top 10 or 20 SEC schools.

Milton stats last year at Mich. 56% comp 4tds 4 int.
Completion % starting with game 1 through game 6. 68, 62, 52, 47, 41, 33 but only 3or 4 att. So got worse each game .
To be fair, a hand injury.

2020 – FRESHMAN. Bailey

Played in six games and started the final three games of the year in debut season ... Threw for at least one touchdown in each of his final three games ... Completed 48-of-68 passes for 578 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions … Completion percentage of 70.6 was tops on the team … Started the season finale vs. No. 5 Texas A&M (12/19), completing all six of his pass attempts for 85 yards and a touchdown ... Started his second straight game and set career highs in completions (14), passing yards (207) and passing touchdowns (two) in first career win at Vanderbilt (12/12) ... Made his first career start in loss to No. 6 Florida (12/5) ... Completed 14-of-21 passes for 111 yards and threw his first career touchdown pass against the Gators ... Played the final two drives at No. 23 Auburn (11/21), leading the Vols down the field for a touchdown on his first drive and finishing the game 7-of-10 for 86 yards ... Played the final two drives at Arkansas (11/7), completing 6-of-9 passes for 65 yards with two interceptions ... Made collegiate debut vs. Kentucky (10/17), seeing action for one drive in the fourth quarter ... Completed one pass for 24 yards against the Wildcats.
To be fair 3 or 4 we’re just a drive or to in the game, starts we’re against top 10 or 20 SEC schools.
Truly, a much different offense that Bailey ran at UT vs what Heupel runs AND a much different offense than Milton ran at Michigan.

Heupel evaluated his QBs for his offense, using the QB development skills he's honed for about 20 years.

Essentially, we're going by the "eye test" of guys running a different offense for different coaches while Heupel is evaluating what he needs to run his offense. If it sucks...... it's all on Josh Heupel for picking the offense, the QB, the plays.

Try to let go of the Pruitt PTSD. He was a defensive coach who'd never been a head coach.

Heupel is an offensive coach, runner up for the Heisman, noted QB coach, and former head coach. If the QB and offense sucks, it's on Josh Heupel 100% because he had options at QB and he's in charge of the offense, for sure.

Truly, a much different offense that Bailey ran at UT vs what Heupel runs AND a much different offense than Milton ran at Michigan.

Heupel evaluated his QBs for his offense, using the QB development skills he's honed for about 20 years.

Essentially, we're going by the "eye test" of guys running a different offense for different coaches while Heupel is evaluating what he needs to run his offense. If it sucks...... it's all on Josh Heupel for picking the offense, the QB, the plays.

Try to let go of the Pruitt PTSD. He was a defensive coach who'd never been a head coach.

Heupel is an offensive coach, runner up for the Heisman, noted QB coach, and former head coach. If the QB and offense sucks, it's on Josh Heupel 100% because he had options at QB and he's in charge of the offense, for sure.
I agree 100%.

I’m just posting what they’ve actually done.
Hope Heupel makes the right choice, but there is very little evidence that Milton has thrived in any offense at HS or College.
I know Bailey thrived in HS, has the same completion % in college as a freshman in a Covid year, playing for an idiot, with little preparation with the 1st team in a limited role,
With first starts against top SEC teams.
Don’t want to sound like a Missourian but,
Show Me

Hope Heupel makes the right choice, but there is very little evidence that Milton has thrived in any offense at HS or College.
I know Bailey thrived in HS, has the same completion % in college as a freshman in a Covid year, playing for an idiot, with little preparation with the 1st team in a limited role,
Show Me
Milton has thrived.

Freaks point is just that. He thrived in Michigan's first two games before the injury (still threw for 344 against Indiana in a loss)

He ran our offense beautifully in the first quarter before Coopers injury and the holding call screwed up our momentum, BG put everyone into coverage and Milton fell off. If the holding penalty doesn't happen we score another touchdown on that third drive and roll and nobody is worried right now.

Not sure if he will be a world beater, but he has already played way better than he showed here Thursday.

We just have JG PTSD. I mean I'm not super duper confident, but no reason to write him off just yet.

Reactions: kcvols1
Show Me
HS, at any level, isn't the SEC for anyone not named Young, Tua, etc.

Bailey isn't at that level, frankly, or he'd have been wearing red (GA or Bama) because he'd have known better than to come to play for Pruitt vs Saban or Smart, honestly. That's on Bailey.

Past that, folks have often said on VN, "Milton got replaced at QB1" well Bailey started as QB1 and got replaced also. Yeah, but Pruitt..... uh..... Harbaugh probably isn't Pruitt bad but when he leaves Michigan, he's going to be like Fulmer was when he left TN...... crickets in his messages and offers.

Bottom line: you want to say, "I'm only showing what they've done" which is fine but Josh Heupel easily counters with "I'm looking at what they're doing and what I need them to do for me."

I'll take Heupel's view over anyone's view on VN, won't you?

Reactions: Alto1
HS, at any level, isn't the SEC for anyone not named Young, Tua, etc.

Bailey isn't at that level, frankly, or he'd have been wearing red (GA or Bama) because he'd have known better than to come to play for Pruitt vs Saban or Smart, honestly. That's on Bailey.

Past that, folks have often said on VN, "Milton got replaced at QB1" well Bailey started as QB1 and got replaced also. Yeah, but Pruitt..... uh..... Harbaugh probably isn't Pruitt bad but when he leaves Michigan, he's going to be like Fulmer was when he left TN...... crickets in his messages and offers.

Bottom line: you want to say, "I'm only showing what they've done" which is fine but Josh Heupel easily counters with "I'm looking at what they're doing and what I need them to do for me."

I'll take Heupel's view over anyone's view on VN, won't you?
And Kamara was second team back to Hurd-Butch
JG gives us the best chance to win-Pruitt
Jamarcus Russell has unlimited potential- Raiders
It’s a toss up between Manning and Leaf—chargers
I’m going to disagree with all them decisions and a whole lot more coaches at all levels have made.
We’ll know by December, let’s hope Milton, or Hooker, or Bailey puts all this QB debate to rest by then, and CJH figures it right real quick

Everyone has different opinions about whether or not he will excel here, and that's fine. I'm just asking that people give him more than one game before they dig their heels in. Let's see if he shows improvement this week.

It's an easy bet that a couple coaches will be working the QB room with all QBs present, to identify problems in the first game -- and then fix them on the field.

And Kamara was second team back to Hurd-Butch
JG gives us the best chance to win-Pruitt
Jamarcus Russell has unlimited potential- Raiders
It’s a toss up between Manning and Leaf—chargers
I’m going to disagree with all them decisions and a whole lot more coaches at all levels have made.
We’ll know by December, let’s hope Milton, or Hooker, or Bailey puts all this QB debate to rest by then, and CJH figures it right real quick
I don't think CJH is worried about his choice, honestly. I doubt Bailey is a topic of conversation at this point. I'm sure he's there and learning but he likely knows he's QB3 and why...... he's not remotely Josh Heupel's kind of QB.

Hooker, however, might prove to be the "decider" Milton isn't and win QB1, but (purely opinion.... not fact based) I feel Milton is kind of in a "prove you're worthy to play on Sunday" situation. Were I in Milton's shoes, I'd work 24/7 to improve on my performance against BG.

It's literally the difference between at least holding a clipboard on Sunday in America vs Canada. It's freakish cold in Canada.

VN Store

Back