Take it for what it’s worth & don’t shoot the messenger.

If what OP posted comes to fruition that would be amazing. Think about there being 25 to 30 players that get rated 5 Stars yearly (just30) and there are 131 D1 teams. So if a team that hasn't won 10 games in forever got 17% of all 5 Stars in a class that would totally surpass what A&M did. There have been very few teams to get 5 (5 Stars in one recruiting year) maybe Bama, UGA, and or OSU but I'm not sure if they ever did. When all 131 teams want 30 players for 5 to go to us might bring an end to NIL.

Reactions: BullsGap
Reactions: BoroVolFan
Had the opportunity to sit down with a friend today that I had not seen or spoken to in several months. He is an avid Tennessee fan, alumnus & donates significant dollars. He was telling me about a meet and greet he attended with some of the Spyre Sports Group folks. He was told that Tennessee would sign between 4 and 6 Five Star players in this year’s signing class. There may be some truth to this based on reports of some 5* guys trending to the VOLS. I will be curious to see how this prediction plays out.

Thoughts?????
The one thing that keeps me questioning this NIL thing is how the kids respond. I'd say the vast majority of these 5 star types hit campus with an eye on the NFL/NBA. They're chasing that money. It's the pot of gold at the end of the big orange rainbow and their motivation. What happens when they get a ton of money in college? How motivated will they be to chase championships? Hell, kids opt out of bowl games now to protect their draft status. With our failure rate with 5 star types in mind, I have serious concerns about this new world we live in. Sure will be interesting to see how rich kids take to hard coaching and hard work when they've got a full bank account.

The one thing that keeps me questioning this NIL thing is how the kids respond. I'd say the vast majority of these 5 star types hit campus with an eye on the NFL/NBA. They're chasing that money. It's the pot of gold at the end of the big orange rainbow and their motivation. What happens when they get a ton of money in college? How motivated will they be to chase championships? Hell, kids opt out of bowl games now to protect their draft status. With our failure rate with 5 star types in mind, I have serious concerns about this new world we live in. Sure will be interesting to see how rich kids take to hard coaching and hard work when they've got a full bank account.
It's going to be a disaster. Not just for us, for everybody.

I don't get the "shoot the messenger " thing. What am I missing?

f91e7b95f3746f1b8dbbc62216122cd4-sounds-good-to-me-smiley-faces.jpg

Do NFL/NBA/MLB guys stop chasing championships after they get signed?

I actually think we will see less opting out. Why would a business or a collective pay a guy for him to not play games? I bet there are also performance incentives as well, because a guy that sucks or doesn't get popular isn't going to do your business any favors.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
It's going to end up being regulated to the point that all teams and all individual recruits will be capped and might even go to the point of all recruits being paid the same amount. Right now, it's like trying to control internet content. An entity like the NCAA will emerge. They just haven't figured out how to get control yet.

Car dealerships have very likely paid players for a very, very long time. The difference is now that it is out in the open. Spyre is a means of doing what was already being done... except within the rules AND fair to everyone.
And at 20X higher prices. Don't forget that. That might be important.

I'm glad the rich guys are paying for it. I sure don't want to.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
It's going to end up being regulated to the point that all teams and all individual recruits will be capped and might even go to the point of all recruits being paid the same amount. Right now, it's like trying to control internet content. An entity like the NCAA will emerge. They just haven't figured out how to get control yet.

This will never happen, maybe a cap ,but same pay???? nope

Great news if that's even a good possibility. Some of our fans bristle over mentions of Spyre but UT is playing within the rules as they now stand. That's exactly what we should do. Cheating has been tolerated for generations and now people suddenly get uncomfortable with open business arrangements?

I didn't like NIL to start with. I still have some worries. But given a choice between a guy being able to sell his own NIL OR paying players directly for playing a "amateur" sport for scholarship... I'll take the first every time.

The main thing I like about NIL is the potential you mentioned. For the longest time, a handful of teams got the best recruits each year and the same or a slightly different group were the only ones with a legit shot at winning the BCS. Whereas that group may have been 5 or so before... now it will be any program with supporters willing to buy cookies from a particular bakery or have their car serviced at a particular dealership because they support certain athletes.

Play within the rules and take every advantage you can. For years, the "winners" have played outside the rules and taken every advantage they could with the NCAA looking the other way unless it had no choice.
Agreed. The current confusion in the rules is a once in a generation opportunity to close the talent gap in one to two seasons instead of the four to six year minimum under the traditional rules. That’s why the Sabans of the world are in meltdown right now. Strike while the opportunity is still here and pack the cupboard to the max. We will not get this opportunity again once the usual suspects succeed in getting “reasonable restrictions” in place that they will of course ignore with the usual under the table deals

Reactions: LibertyVol and Woke
This board is ruthless when it comes to rumors and hearsay. I posted a thread quite a few years ago bc I had received information from a very reliable person at First Tn Bank, now First Horizon, that they had cut ties with Bruce and he would be fired within months. This board lost their ever loving minds. Ended up that the information was accurate, but everyone forgot about that by the time the story broke.

I’ve decided that you can’t try to share things like that here. BVS is real and ppl are ruthless when they post behind fake names and keyboards.

I hope your information is right, that would be awesome, but I’d say that Spyre tells all their big donors that to keep the $$ rollin in. Thanks for sharing. Don’t let the haters get to you, just maybe think before you share.

Not.....going.....to.....happen. If we pull 2, we should feel like we won the Super bowl.
Nico
Tate
Mauigoa
Bradley
Seldon
Burley
Akana
M’Pemba
Mitchell
————
Nico we have
the next three I would say 75% ours