Tahoe/Yukon Owners - Satisfied? Problems to Look For?

volinbham

VN GURU
I'm considering a 2012/13 era Tahoe.

Most I'm looking at are over 100K miles.

Any advice? Generally reliable?

I've had a GMC Sierra 4x4 for several years and didn't have issue and it had the same drive train.

Thanks for any input.

I have a 2002 Suburban with 220,000 miles on it. It’s been extremely reliable. I did replace the transmission ($1500 remanufactured with 30k warranty) and a water pump both at 200,000 miles but I think that’s more than reasonable for that many miles. Everything else has just been routine maintenance. We love it so much that I just bought another one!

Last edited:

I've had a GMC Sierra 4x4 for several years and didn't have issue and it had the same drive train.

Thanks for any input.
What is your primary purpose for this vehicle?

general utility work. dog hauler, yard stuff hauler, outdoor activity. won't be daily driver. estimate 3k miles/year most likely.

I did not have good luck with my 08 suburban. besides the expected general maintenance, the biggest issue was oil constantly getting in the cylinders. I was told by many people that is the way those engines are because they electronically switch from 8 cylinders to 4 when not under load. I bought mine with 118k miles on it. It needed an engine replaced at 188k.

I will say this, it was the most comfortable vehicle ive ever owned. Long trips were a breeze.

Good luck

I did not have good luck with my 08 suburban. besides the expected general maintenance, the biggest issue was oil constantly getting in the cylinders. I was told by many people that is the way those engines are because they electronically switch from 8 cylinders to 4 when not under load. I bought mine with 118k miles on it. It needed an engine replaced at 188k.

I will say this, it was the most comfortable vehicle ive ever owned. Long trips were a breeze.

Good luck

Thanks McD - have heard of the "collapsed lifter" issue with the engine management system.

Reactions: McDad
It’s a coin flip with these. You see some do 250k with little to no trouble and others with major repairs.

Reactions: volinbham

Good luck
A guy I work with had the same issue in his GMC Sierra. I’ve also heard the interior components had issues in ‘08.....plastic finish coming off and etc

A guy I work with had the same issue in his GMC Sierra. I’ve also heard the interior components had issues in ‘08.....plastic finish coming off and etc
We had a little bit of wear off on the climate control buttons.
Also, the corner around the passenger dash airbag trim cracked in two. I've seen that commonly on the vehicles which share that dash design. Mine was garaged. Cracked sitting in sun at airport while i was on a business trip.

Find your a Ford Excursion, preferably 7.3 diesel. Perfect traveling wagon, take the back seat out and you have almost 6’ of hauling plus you can tow about anything you need to tow.

Reactions: Obsessed
Find your a Ford Excursion, preferably 7.3 diesel. Perfect traveling wagon, take the back seat out and you have almost 6’ of hauling plus you can tow about anything you need to tow.

Ah, the Ford Valdez

my dog ain't that big

Thanks for any input.

And yet, no feedback yet regarding those 2 model years.

Good luck. Hope it works better for you than it did me.

By the way, came across an unused oil filter for my old suburban. Can i send it to you or drop it off next time I'm passing through Bham?

Thanks. I came across a few with the cracked dash and almost all had worn CC buttons. Fortunately I found one with neither problem.

I appreciate the filter option. If you do swing through Bham let me know and I'll buy you lunch in exchange.

Thanks. I came across a few with the cracked dash and almost all had worn CC buttons. Fortunately I found one with neither problem.

I appreciate the filter option. If you do swing through Bham let me know and I'll buy you lunch in exchange.
I'll be thru in late January. Ill send you a message.

VN Store

Back