T-Shirt and POTS

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I emailed DPlowman and shared what I thought about the report of POTS being forced to wear the Florida Kid's shirt design. I was rather blunt. I did admit I could understand the desire to take advantage of a great public relations opportunity as well as projecting an anti-bullying plug. However, I stressed the contradictory approach of bullying POTS to get this message across. I suggested an alternative means to take advantage of the PR opportunity. [ Instead put the modified t-shirt on the jumbotron with a shout out to the bullied kid. Maybe with pictures and/or video of him with his Vols gear. Include a message of encouragement and anti-bullying.] Well...I got a response.

POTS.jpg

Suprised that an old feller like yourself would take the stance that a group being told to do something by one of their leaders is considered bullying.

Sounds like they decided, weird.....but lets go with the bullying story.

Reactions: txbo and Volunt33rs
Are they on scholarship? I'd think they'd have to wear anything their asked or not participate. It's not like their dressed as Hooters waitresses

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
I emailed DPlowman and shared what I thought about the report of POTS being forced to wear the Florida Kid's shirt design. I was rather blunt. I did admit I could understand the desire to take advantage of a great public relations opportunity as well as projecting an anti-bullying plug. However, I stressed the contradictory approach of bullying POTS to get this message across. I suggested an alternative means to take advantage of the PR opportunity. [ Instead put the modified t-shirt on the jumbotron with a shout out to the bullied kid. Maybe with pictures and/or video of him with his Vols gear. Include a message of encouragement and anti-bullying.] Well...I got a response.

View attachment 224496
Help me understand how wearing that shirt is a bad thing. And being forced? Aren’t they forced to wear the regular school uniform? Seems like an odd hill to die on.

Help me understand how wearing that shirt is a bad thing. And being forced? Aren’t they forced to wear the regular school uniform? Seems like an odd hill to die on.

Look back on the thread mentioning this. I'm not doing the work for you.

Yeah, I didn't see another thread about this either -- BUT if I'm in the band, I'd relish the idea wearing a t-shirt in upper-90-degree heat instead of my usual long-sleeved uniforms. I've never known what material the band uniforms are made of -- are they cotton, wool or some synthetic blend?

Plus, the Chancellor said in her response it's up to the band to decide; do we know whether they asked to do this?

Also interesting that you felt a need to be "blunt" with the Chancellor. Does that mean "rude"? Seems like an overreach about such a trivial matter. The Florida band is often in t-shirts at September games.

View attachment 224496
Lol if the band members feel bullied by having to wear that shirt then they are really going to struggle in life. DBAP!

I wish / hope everyone involved simply mans up and wears the darn shirt. It’s for a good cause, and heck Tennessee needs a good cause right now. I’m so tired of the world always thinking of themselves......it’s a freakin shirt.......it’s for one freakin day.

Also if you feel bullied because an administrator makes you wear a shirt for “special” occasion you obviously don’t know what bullying is......period!

I couldn’t find anything that helped me understand such a position. Maybe I’m missing something?

I can't relocate it either. Which is weird because that post is where I got the email address to use. But did state the band felt bullied being forced to perform out of uniform. Maybe the person who posted that will be kind enough to direct us to it.

View attachment 224496

05056dc5378c928794426af724ec4b57e76bfe-wm.jpg

I'm not sure what the story is here beyond this thread's OP, but if the Chancellor's office sent the band a bunch of T-shirts, I suspect the decision whether to wear them or not won't be the band members.

This is some dumb stuff to get worked up about. I could think of about 20 things of the top of my head that are more worthy of effort than complaining about the band participating in an anti-bullying campaign.

I'm not sure what the story is here beyond this thread's OP, but if the Chancellor's office sent the band a bunch of T-shirts, I suspect the decision whether to wear them or not won't be the band members.

Velo, the post I saw this morning said that very same thing. That they weren't given a choice and actually didn't want to perform out of uniform.

I went to look up the word "bullying" to get the exact definition.

Bullying is the use of force, coercion, or threat, to abuse, aggressively dominate or intimidate.

I don't think they are being "bullied" here. The same way I don't think a McDonald's employee is being bullied by being told to wear a shirt with the company logo on it.

The other interesting thing is that by this definition, technically the kid in Florida wasn't being "bullied" either. Teased, ridiculed, etc. But, technically, not bullied.

Bullying is the use of force, coercion, or threat, to abuse, aggressively dominate or intimidate.

I don't think they are being "bullied" here. The same way I don't think a McDonald's employee is being bullied by being told to wear a shirt with the company logo on it.

The other interesting thing is that by this definition, technically the kid in Florida wasn't being "bullied" either. Teased, ridiculed, etc. But, technically, not bullied.

Bullied isn't the right word. If the band members don't want to be part of this PR thing (maybe they do, I have no idea), then I'd say they're being forced to.

For the people saying, "Who cares?" maybe you don't.

But if the football team changed its uniform for a game to be part of this PR campaign, it would create a brouhaha in the football forum. People fuss about uniforms all the time.

Bullied isn't the right word. If the band members don't want to be part of this PR thing (maybe they do, I have no idea), then I'd say they're being forced to.

Well, going by strict definition, if they are being forced, that may technically be bullying. But, it's the nature of how they are "forced" that is key.

But, this is like a lot of things in our world today.

I would guess that if the band has 100 members (just to pick a round #), 10 members hate the idea of not wearing the uniform, 10 members love the idea of wearing the t-shirt, and 80 members don't give a damn.

But, it's portrayed here that the entire band is upset by this and I just don't buy that. I don't believe that too many members are upset about being out of uniform for one Saturday (at noon) against Chattanooga where hardly anyone will be in the stands. it's not like they are doing this at a formal band competition.

VN Store

Back