T-Rob @ the game still the best arm in UT history

He could throw, he could run. When we needed a play made, I generally felt good about our chances that he would come through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacksonvol
I think we were at the same place! I was AW at Reelfoot when T-Rob got out. I left in 1996 to work in private sector. Trying to figure out who you are.
Later became Classification Cord. (RG) Yes my friend, we were at the same place LCRCF !!! Go Vols !! Actually I think I worked for you for a short while. I am 74 years old. Watched Tenn football since about 16 years old. TR was one of the best Vol QB's I ever watched. Along with Heath Schuler and Condredge Holloway !!!

Last edited:
And we took him right out from under Free Shoes nose.
Bowden was wrong. The reason he didn’t recruit him was he thought TR was too thin and frail to take the punishment.

Or........ was he correct?

Either way, TR was a stud and Bowden managed pretty well without him.

Reactions: kcvols1
Some years ago, I read an interview with Harry Galbreath, legendary OL at Tennessee and star in the NFL for 8 seasons. The sports journalist asked Harry who was the best QB he ever played with. As Harry played with Dan Marino at Miami and Brett Favre at Green Bay, the journalist obviously thought he was putting Galbreath on the spot by having him pick between the two NFL Hall of Famers. Harry's response was priceless, he said the best QB I ever played with was Tony Robinson. The interviewer stunned asked what would make him pick T-Rob. I am paraphrasing Harry, but he said, “let me give you an example of why I said Robinson. When I was at Tennessee, we were playing Alabama in 1984. They led most of the game and had a 2 touchdown lead late. Tony engineered two late TD drives. With about two minutes left we scored to make it a one point game. Coach Majors elected to go for two to win the game. When we were in the huddle Tony called option right. Then he said I am going to keep the ball and score, and we are going to win the game. When we broke the huddle, we all believed him and just knew we were going to win that game. T-Rob was the most confident and inspiring QB I ever played with.”

Later became Classification Cord. (RG) Yes my friend, we were at the same place LCRCF !!! Go Vols !! Actually I think I worked for you for a short while. I am 74 years old. Watched Tenn football since about 16 years old. TR was one of the best Vol QB's I ever watched. Along with Heath Schuler and Condredge Holloway !!!
Now I know who you are RG. Hope all is good with you. I retired in 2014 and moved back to the farm I was raised on in 2015 in Hickman County. Go Vols!

Reactions: ReelfootVol
He was good and fun to watch much of the time, but I didn’t find him nearly as great as many want to remember him. For his career he was 9-5-1 as a starter with only 22 TDS and 16 interceptions and made some untimely mistakes. He had me pulling my hair out as much as I yelled and screamed with joy. He was extraordinary against UCLA and Auburn. I think those two games are what most remember.

The game against Auburn was one of the best ever - not just Tony but the whole team. The D was so ready for Bo and Auburn’s D could not stop Tony. Tony wasn’t a running QB - more of a pocket passer - but he had some wheels and when he did pull the ball down he could kill a D.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
He was an ok qb...Had a hell of an arm but made some seriously boneheaded plays throughout his time at UT...Throwing the ball all the way across the field to stop the clock against UK was one and the other was against Maryland in the sunbowl where he took off with the ball with time running out and no sliding down at the first down marker where we kick the winning field goal ole Tony decided to keep the ball and try to truck a maryland player and out came the ball and we lose the game...It really helped that he had a bevy of super talented receivers...Clickscales, Tim Mcgee...Still a good qb but far from the best.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Bowden was wrong. The reason he didn’t recruit him was he thought TR was too thin and frail to take the punishment.

Or........ was he correct?

Either way, TR was a stud and Bowden managed pretty well without him.

Correct. As I recall, Bowden basically regarded Tony's physique as an "ACL injury waiting to happen."

Reactions: peaygolf
Now I know who you are RG. Hope all is good with you. I retired in 2014 and moved back to the farm I was raised on in 2015 in Hickman County. Go Vols!
Glad to hear from you my friend. You were a good AW. I retired with 41 years of State Government. Had lots of talks with TR.................Hope all is good with you !!!!! Wish you the best and continued long life.

Reactions: VolSteve
He was good and fun to watch much of the time, but I didn’t find him nearly as great as many want to remember him. For his career he was 9-5-1 as a starter with only 22 TDS and 16 interceptions and made some untimely mistakes. He had me pulling my hair out as much as I yelled and screamed with joy. He was extraordinary against UCLA and Auburn. I think those two games are what most remember.
Ditto, talented but very erratic. Seems like I the legendary Auburn game he had 2 pick sixes. He and Andy Kelly drove me nuts.

38 TD 17 Int 61%

23 TD 17 INT 61%
Guess which stat line belongs to TRob and which belongs to Gurantano.

Robinson had a big arm and was flashy but not overly successful. HIs record as a starter was 10-5-2 and while he threw for 23 TDs, he also threw 17 INTs. In the great season of 1985, he was 3-1-1 as the starter and threw for 8 TDs and 7 INTs. When he played, the band was gonna be playing, you just hoped it was your's.

Robinson had a big arm and was flashy but not overly successful. HIs record as a starter was 10-5-2 and while he threw for 23 TDs, he also threw 17 INTs. In the great season of 1985, he was 3-1-1 as the starter and threw for 8 TDs and 7 INTs. When he played, the band was gonna be playing, you just hoped it was your's.
I had him at 9-5-1. I didn’t give him credit for the 16-14 Bama win since he got hurt. Guess I should have. And I don’t think he played in the 1984 tie with Army.

Over the same time period with the same players and coaches, Daryl Dickey was 6-0-2 with 10 TDS and 2 interceptions. This consists of the 1984 Army tie and the last 7 games of 1985.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwards K
I had him at 9-5-1. I didn’t give him credit for the 16-14 Bama win since he got hurt. Guess I should have. And I don’t think he played in the 1984 tie with Army.

Over the same time period with the same players and coaches, Daryl Dickey was 6-0-2 with 10 TDS and 2 interceptions. This consists of the 1984 Army tie and the last 7 games of 1985.
Yeah, but the defense played lights out over those 8 games...... lights out

Reactions: papatomany
Yeah, but the defense played lights out over those 8 games...... lights out

Making very few mistakes and turnovers was also huge. Down the stretch, the Vols put up 34 on Ole Miss, 42 at Kentucky, 30 on Vandy and 35 on the might U in the Sugar Bowl. Funny how in all of those specials ESPN puts on about the U, they always leave out the 86 Sugar Bowl.

Ditto, talented but very erratic. Seems like I the legendary Auburn game he had 2 pick sixes. He and Andy Kelly drove me nuts.

38 TD 17 Int 61%

23 TD 17 INT 61%
Guess which stat line belongs to TRob and which belongs to Gurantano.

Yeah take away a win over Bo's #1 Auburn, the SI cover, two wins over Bama and an SEC ring and they about the same.

VN Store

Back