T-Rob @ the game still the best arm in UT history

You're right about the arm, but he had a few character flaws that disqualify him from being idolized.

Some years ago, I read an interview with Harry Galbreath, legendary OL at Tennessee and star in the NFL for 8 seasons. The sports journalist asked Harry who was the best QB he ever played with. As Harry played with Dan Marino at Miami and Brett Favre at Green Bay, the journalist obviously thought he was putting Galbreath on the spot by having him pick between the two NFL Hall of Famers. Harry's response was priceless, he said the best QB I ever played with was Tony Robinson. The interviewer stunned asked what would make him pick T-Rob. I am paraphrasing Harry, but he said, “let me give you an example of why I said Robinson. When I was at Tennessee, we were playing Alabama in 1984. They led most of the game and had a 2 touchdown lead late. Tony engineered two late TD drives. With about two minutes left we scored to make it a one point game. Coach Majors elected to go for two to win the game. When we were in the huddle Tony called option right. Then he said I am going to keep the ball and score, and we are going to win the game. When we broke the huddle, we all believed him and just knew we were going to win that game. T-Rob was the most confident and inspiring QB I ever played with.”

It was rumored T-rob could throw the ball goal to goal on the fly. Lamar Jackson can do that too.

He was good and fun to watch much of the time, but I didn’t find him nearly as great as many want to remember him. For his career he was 9-5-1 as a starter with only 22 TDS and 16 interceptions and made some untimely mistakes. He had me pulling my hair out as much as I yelled and screamed with joy. He was extraordinary against UCLA and Auburn. I think those two games are what most remember.

I think I understand...............I had many talks with him while I was a counselor !!!!
I think we were at the same place! I was AW at Reelfoot when T-Rob got out. I left in 1996 to work in private sector. Trying to figure out who you are.

VN Store

Back